PDA

View Full Version : Ford Scorpio Donor

Theoldman
29th September 2008, 09:33 PM
I am just check my information is correct, I believe that the Ford Scorpio is basically the same running gear as the Sierra. I am currently looking at a 2.3 manual estate and was think of using it for the donor bits for my Roadster, once I have my son's car out of the garage

The Old man

fabbyglass
30th September 2008, 11:08 AM
Scorpio as in Sierra or the pig ugly granada scorpio with odd shaped headlights thing? Not sure if they are the same underneath.

Mark

Chris Gibbs
30th September 2008, 05:43 PM
All Granadas are five stud and the hub bearings are marginally bigger, The disc brake callipers are the same and they use the standard 7.5 inch diff. front uprights are larger than Sierra itemns but can be adapted.

Cheers

Chris :)

Theoldman
30th September 2008, 05:55 PM
Chris and Mark

Many thanks for confirming my information. I have also found out that the track is 27mm wider.

Perhaps I could use that in making the car wider especially in the seating area, I need the extra seat width. :D

Gerald

scotty g
30th September 2008, 08:07 PM
Interestingly although Chris is correct in saying that the granada is 5 stud and the Scorpio is basically just a slightly refined Granada, the Scorpio's are 4 stud, don't know why but there you go.
The 2.3 has good power (about 150) but is very big and heavy, its a bigger bore version of the not well liked Sierra 2 litre DOHC engine but with a 16v head instead of that crappy 8v one on the sierra's, also it uses the MT75 gearbox so make sure you allow for that in your chassis as its wider than the type9 as has been well documented elsewhere.
Cheers

Chris Gibbs
30th September 2008, 08:33 PM
Yes that's right '94 on Scorpios were 4/108, it's been suggested that Ford decided to use up spare hubs after the Sierra production ended, I wouldn't be surprised - it does seem a strange choice for such a heavy car, particularly one which was a development of a car with 5 stud hubs!

I used to have a Scorpio with five stud rear wheels and four stud front wheels, because someone had fitted a LSD by replacing the entire back axle.

You know what I never noticed! Until I got a puncture. :mad:

Cheers

Chris :)

Cyberbeej
14th November 2008, 07:36 PM
got to agree, my doner scorpio cosworth has the 4 stud pattern, can anyone confirm the 27mm wider, is that per side? would be handy to know before i fabricate my rear suspension.

Thanks BJ:confused:

scotty g
16th November 2008, 07:43 AM
Don't think they are any wider, i recently stripped both a sierra and a Granny and both the rear sub frame thingies were identicle, if there is any extra width then maybe its just from the wheel offset?
dunno matey!

Stretchlandy
31st December 2008, 12:23 PM
I'm interested to see how these projects progress, as I have first dibs on the wife's Ford Scorpio 24v (once I've fixed her Disco).

Hopefully I'll have my mitts on that very soon.