PDA

View Full Version : Which car name on your papers?

Laurent
1st May 2007, 08:12 AM
Hi!

Living in France, it's really a strong problem to have papers for a "selfmade" car.

The possibility should be to have this car registered in an european land, and then bring it back to France, with the foreign papers.

But when your Locost passed the SVA, which mark do you have on your papers? Locost? Seven?.... other one?

Thanks! :D

Chris Gibbs
1st May 2007, 06:52 PM
Hi Laurent,

My original Locost is registered as a "Locost", the prototype Roadster is registered as a "Gibbs special" as we hadn't sorted out a name for the car at the time!

I've certainly heard of people registering cars in England and shipping them to other European countries.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris ;)

Laurent
1st May 2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks Chris!

Locost is surely a concept only, I'm wrong?

I don't know if it would be accepted as a car mark in europe.

I'd like to know which name they gave to it, when they brought it at home.

I know about a Cobra replica who has been inspected as a Factory Five (american kit).

I don't know much more... .

Thanks Chris.

Chris Gibbs
1st May 2007, 09:21 PM
I'll ask around at the big kit car show at the weekend and get back to you.

Cheers

Chris

Laurent
1st May 2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks Chris ! :)

Trophy Blue
11th May 2007, 12:34 AM
In UK, if you made it, you can call whatever you want, as long as it does not contain certain 4 letter words:D

axle
12th June 2007, 01:10 PM
How about Haynes 7.
AXLE

CAD Monkey
12th June 2007, 02:36 PM
How about Haynes 7.
AXLE

I may be wrong, but I think Caterham have a trademark/copyright thingy regarding the use of the number 7 regarding cars...

axle
13th June 2007, 02:01 PM
Did nt Chris say you can call it what ever you want. I do not think the Caterham would have the pilkinton right to it. How about C7 as Chris 7.

Renrut
30th June 2007, 06:37 PM
C7 is probably owned by Citroen. How about R7 for Roadster 7?

bob
1st July 2007, 04:06 PM
Hi

I've seen Roadster 7, sports 7, sportster 7 and all without the 7 too on many locosts built over the last 7/8 years, seems you could call it what you like within reason.

I have noticed a lot of people use there initials or surname too.

Laurent
1st July 2007, 04:42 PM
Ok, thanks all for your answears, but it's difficult (means unpossible) in France, to imagine new car makes... what a chance you have ! Friends, be carefull to concerve this possibility in England !
Sure that Europe partners will try to stop this. :rolleyes:

Alphax
1st July 2007, 08:13 PM
Hey Laurant,

technically, all EU countries must accept any car that has gotten type approval anywhere else within the EU. This means that if you build your Roadster and have it SVA'd, you will get a single type approval for that car. This also means that France must accept that car and give it french registration papers. (yeay for EU!)

but here's the tough bit. Each country is allowed to set its own regulation on which new cars need to comply with. France made some more strict rules than the Netherlands. I don't know all those rules by heart but I do know that emmision is one of them. The car needs to be very clean. Which isn't a problem if you take a modern fuel injected engine and put a cat on it (cat might be obligatory anyway, like in Belgium). But that shouldn't be a problem. It can be done and quite a few kit cars find their way to France. It doesn't matter so much what name is on the paper, as long as it meets the regulation.

Cheers,

axle
10th July 2007, 01:04 PM
I have just heard from DVLA regarding the rights to "7" and they said:

I have been informed that no one has the exclusive right to "7" unless it is attached to something else e.g Caterham Seven. Apparently David Beckham tried to copyright "7" but he was told it was universal which it is. So you can use "7" in the name if you wish.

Laurent
2nd August 2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks Alphax and axle !
Really interesting this topic for all those french who are dreaming to drive their Kit Cars legaly on open roads.

Sorry Alpha, I didn't saw your answear ... :rolleyes:

jnjb
30th September 2009, 09:26 PM
The problem iin france it isnt the rules but how theres use and the cost is very very high price of SVA or IVA are really cheap about french price for the same think