PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Loom

trickydicky0_16
20th December 2008, 08:36 AM
Hi as anybody used the loom from a Sapphire 1991 2.0l DOCH Auto Ghia on a MT75 manual box will there be any problems with this config.

Also can the abs be taken out of the loom seeing its not being used, To be honest its all got a bit scary now i have started to take the loom out of the donor. I have felt confident of completing the project till now.

Cheers

Richard

davie h
20th December 2008, 09:22 AM
i havent got that fer yet but would say that you could use it and just take out what you dont need ABS electric windows etc mark all the connectios when removing so you know what goes where.

Davie

les g
20th December 2008, 10:55 AM
Hi as anybody used the loom from a Sapphire 1991 2.0l DOCH Auto Ghia on a MT75 manual box will there be any problems with this config.

Also can the abs be taken out of the loom seeing its not being used, To be honest its all got a bit scary now i have started to take the loom out of the donor. I have felt confident of completing the project till now.

Cheers

Richard

dont forget that an autobox/loom has a start inhibit switch
you,ll have to bypass, as their wont be one on the mt75
cheers les g

fabbyglass
20th December 2008, 01:57 PM
Chooks like me buy looms rather than make a mess of original as would end up having indicators on when foot on brake etc...:confused:

Wiring is sent by the devil..:D

trickydicky0_16
21st December 2008, 04:14 PM
thanks loom nearly out still a bit scarey

HandyAndy
14th April 2009, 11:18 AM
may i ask if it will be easier to use a loom sourced from Premier wiring for the wiring into my car rather than use the loom out of the donor? (my donor is an estate, not sure it makes any difference to the wiring apart from maybe longer wires):confused:
i,m looking for the easier option as electrics are not my thing:o
cheers
andy
ps premier wiring do such a loom for sierra donor car.

adrianreeve
14th April 2009, 11:24 AM
Andy

Definately going with a new loom, either the premier one, or SVC do one. Atually, they do two, a single piece one with sierra connectors for £120, or a four piece loom for an easier install for £180. In my opinion, just not worth the hassle of trying to work out donor loom, not to mention they're knocking on 20 years old, and taking the loom out of the donor car may well have been enough to destroy several brittle connectors.

Just my 2p's worth!

Cheers

Adrian

HandyAndy
14th April 2009, 11:31 AM
cheers for that Adrian, i totally agree with you with regard the age of wiring etc but its the thought of getting the donor loom out without losing track of what each wire does what that made me think of a new loom,
premier do one for £120 which sounds ok, just spoke to the guy & seemed really helpful, he reminded me to make sure i get the connectors from the steering column as his loom doesn,t come with them & also will need the relays & flasher unit from the donor.
sorry for all the simple questions i,m asking lately, its just that i,m almost finished welding my chassis so am now planning the next phase of the build.
cheers
andy

AshG
14th April 2009, 12:01 PM
i made my own loom come to £60 all in.

adrianreeve
14th April 2009, 01:30 PM
Smarty Pants! Fancy making another one? ;) ;)

Rik178m
14th April 2009, 11:19 PM
Ash did you write a parts list etc?

AshG
15th April 2009, 12:11 AM
its pretty simple to be honest. put all the electrical bits on the car then run the wires between them :D

there is a posability that there will be a write up on it in complete kit car in the coming months. Keep your eyes open.

MightyMouth
15th April 2009, 09:40 AM
I am using the donor loom, I just used masking tape to mark each connector and took photos of all the connections (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/keith.weiland/Wiring?feat=directlink) and pulled the thing out as a single unit. I then wrapped the connectors in freezer bags in groups according to what they were and where they go in the car. It should be easy enough to split out the bits that aren't needed.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_PkMjTNMiIh4/Sb-Hq_5tmMI/AAAAAAAAEPY/570-DPDmOfs/s800/rbd%20020.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_PkMjTNMiIh4/Sb-HtxnchMI/AAAAAAAAEPo/fnkAEuLHwh8/s800/rbd%20022.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PkMjTNMiIh4/Sb-H0EjOXsI/AAAAAAAAEQg/66aLTYEk-PM/s800/rbd%20029.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_PkMjTNMiIh4/Sb-IAW-gL7I/AAAAAAAAER4/AzXyU9Qn7Mk/s800/rbd%20040.jpg

Spikehaus
22nd April 2009, 11:28 PM
I think you are too organised! I unwrapped the mile of loom today that was stored in trailer! I wish I had taken a little more care now to label and bag it all! But as for most. We need the space back!

MightyMouth
23rd April 2009, 11:21 AM
I think you are too organised! I unwrapped the mile of loom today that was stored in trailer! I wish I had taken a little more care now to label and bag it all! But as for most. We need the space back!

Possibly but hopefully the 30 minutes extra it took to label and bag everything will save loads of time later, also I think it is better to be too organised rather than not organised enough especially as my memory seems to reset each time I sleep. :D

RAYLEE29
23rd April 2009, 12:53 PM
Hi, i agree with ash g it cant be that difficult to make your own loom.
i would say if you look at each item separately it will be quite simple.
for example do the engine first then lights then horn, wipers, heater etc
obviously the more you do at once the more complicated it will seem.
the donor loom is always going to look complicated as theres so much thats not going to be used : leccy windows, sunroof, interior lights speakers, abs, heated screen,rear wash/wipe radio, headlamp wash/wipe the list goes on. anyway thats my opinion, im sure someone will be along in a mo to criticize but they always do.
Ray

davidimurray
23rd April 2009, 09:29 PM
im sure someone will be along in a mo to criticize but they always do.

That will be aimed at me then :) lol

Building you own loom shouldn't be difficult.In most of our applications it is, as previously mentioned, a case of just fitting wires between parts. If you've managed to build a chassis then the loom shouldn't be a problem. It seems to be that people don't like working on electronics because they can't see where problems occur. Most problems can be solved with simple continuity tests. Intermittent faults are more troublesome, and the only advice I can offer is to build the loom well from day one. Ensure everything is propely soldered,crimped, insulated and supported/strain relieved. If you have any doubt as to how good the connection is then remake it. Better to spend another few minutes and a few quid now than hours fault finding later. I speak from experience as I setup a new FI system on an engine a couple of years ago. Not having a base map or any settings, I calcualted them all and tried for 4 weeks to get the engine going, getting to the end of my tether a new loom was made just in case, and would you believe - started on the button. The motto of this story - quality,quality quality!

Cheers

Dave

Neil P
23rd April 2009, 10:22 PM
I have used the donor loom. If you work methodically from the wiring diagrams (I enlarged the diagrams to A3 size then used coloured pens to identify those wires I needed to keep) it's not that difficult.

You can effectively split it into three parts; those wires running to the front for lights, horn, fan etc; those running from the rear for fuel pump, lights, handbrake warning and those running to the dash and steering column.

Be ruthless with cables like multi earths to reduce the bulk.

doing it this way is pretty much like running new cables but they match the diagrams. You just have to splice them all together at the bulkhead. Mine was complicated slightly by having to wire in a fuel injected Toyota engine to the loom at the same time.

Why don't I make things easy for myself?

I was very wary as I had not wired a vehicle before. It has given me a much better understanding of the systems and it's quite satisfying to have done it myself, in a perverse sort of way.

If you have the time, why not give it a go?

Neil

RAYLEE29
27th April 2009, 09:47 PM
hi, been stripping out my donor today and i must say i can see why the wiring might be a bit scary , but after a while it all started to make sense.
ford have made a lot of the systems modular and as such reasonably easy to remove once youve identified them.
my donor is a late model ghia so seems to have every electrical accessory ford could think of lol
Ray

axle
21st May 2009, 10:31 AM
Hi All

I think I think I have got around my headache regarding the wiring loom, Alan of premier wirring can modify Ford wiring loom to suit the Roadster. I paid him visit yesterday on a job he had done for someone else and manage to see it before the dispatch to the customer. The price was very reasonable ( see website) considering the amout of headache it will save!

Here is his Link: www.premierwiring.co.uk
Give him call regarding your needs tell him I have sent you.

Regards Axle