PDA

View Full Version : I may have found my donor, but it is seriously rough...

jasongray5
28th December 2008, 12:00 PM
I may have found my donor, but it is seriously rough...
It belongs to a friend of mine and he works for an agricultural contractor, (alarm bells already ringing:p ) Its a 2.0 Giha i think DOHC and he says if I want it I can have it for free.
However, since it failed its MOT in the summer, it has been used as a field car and a way of letting off some steam after a hard days work.
This involved racing it accross a ploughed field, running it on red diesel, doughnunts gallore and many many more hours of fun?

My question is, Will this have damaged the components that we need for the build? bearing in mind I want to use a bike engine?
comments please
Many thanks Jas Gray

fabbyglass
28th December 2008, 12:16 PM
Go for it if it's free.
If you are using a bike engine you only want the uprights, brakes,diff and rear brakes/driveshafts,handbrake. Oh and steering column you can throw the rest away

jasongray5
28th December 2008, 12:28 PM
Hi mark, Obviously I will use new wheel bearings and stuff, but will those bits be damaged and bent beyond usability do you think?

fabbyglass
28th December 2008, 12:57 PM
Well as it's free it has to be worth having even if you have to get more uprights.

fabbyglass
28th December 2008, 12:59 PM
Rally design sell new uprights for the Sierra if you have to go down that route.

AshG
28th December 2008, 01:17 PM
you will bend the chassis on the car before an upright and when uprights go they never usually bend they crack.

at the end of the day its free!! even if you only get one good part off it it was still a FREE part :D

it will be fine for things like hubs, steering wheel, dif etc. at worst you will prob need some new cv joints for the drive shafts and a new prop shaft. if anything is broke it will only cost you peanuts to replace.