PDA

View Full Version : First Car Memories

shadowcaster
30th December 2008, 11:00 AM
When I were but a teenager my first real contact with cars/engines was rebuilding my Dad's Ford Consul engine. Great fun and had no bits left over:eek:.
After a brief flirtation with an Austin A40 I got an old E93A Ford Pop, which I use for car trials, she had an Aquaplane Head and twin SU's on an Aquaplane manifold and had a habit of overheating. I remember it taking me ages to learn how to set the timing and adjust the points gap but learn I did and apart from sending some of my more recent cars to a garage I managed to do most repairs/maintenence at home.

So thats my first car memory, so lets hear some of yours.

vaughan lavender
30th December 2008, 11:31 AM
in reply to first car memories my first car was a nsu prinz i think it was the ti version .i was 13 at the time (a hell of a long time ago).my second car was a cortina mk 3 1600 gt bought for twenty quid off a work mate and sold to my dads mecanic for 50 quid 30 mins later.then i had a triumph gt6,i remember seeing an advert in the sheffield star for 2 lotus cortina mk1 one a runner the other a rolling shell for 250 quid it had gone by the time we rang,bit of a shame that,i wonder how much they would be worth now .any way may i wish all builders, enthusiasts,freinds and future freinds a happy and prosperous new year.

Jezzer99
30th December 2008, 12:02 PM
My dad was a car dealer in the 70s/early 80s when I grew up so my first memories were the Marina which was the main type of car my dad drove but also memories of going into the showroom and seeing the Allegro, Spitfires, the launch of the TR7, MGBs going over to rubber bumpers.

Happy days :)

Bonzo
30th December 2008, 09:14 PM
My first motor was a Fiat 500, Got it for free. Towed it home. Daddy said "That is going to need a little work before you use that" . Being a typical cocky teenager I proudly proclaimed. " I know what i am doing ", " Why can you never leave me alone ".

A couple of big tins of filler and a quick tinker with the engine it was running.
Yippee time to take it for a blast. Less than 2 miles down the road. Rattle, Rattle, Bang. Hey presto, one fubar engine. :D :o

" You got a long way in that then " Said daddy whilst trying not to choke on his dinner.

God bless him. He got me an Austin A40 countryman. It served me well gor the next few years. All for the hefty price of £40.

Chris Gibbs
30th December 2008, 10:41 PM
Hillman Imp.

My one and only memory of it is sitting watching steam come out of it. :)

Cheers

Chris;)

les g
31st December 2008, 01:37 AM
i hang my head in shame and admit a mini 1000cc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but it soon had a 1300gt in it on the standard box and brakes :eek:
and then later a CHRIS INCH 1340 and twin webers !!!!!!!!!!ahem and still the standard brakes ......... piled into the back of a 1600 gt
yep you guessed it couldn,t stop:o
expensive mistake i know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol
lifes a learning curve
les g

thwang
31st December 2008, 10:04 AM
tolbat avenger i think it was a cricket twin head light model my brother used to have an avenger tiger (he wouldnt let me any where near it) lol

jasongray5
31st December 2008, 10:41 AM
Peugeot 106 1.5 diesel! bought off of my gran. It got friendly with the rear end of a bmw 3 seiries. Pulled a vauxhall frontera up a snowy hill, got chased off widemouth bay by the life guards and then pulled an L200 out of a ditch and then 3 miles home. Still regret selling it 12months ago as I now need a cheap vehicle to tow my boat...

fabbyglass
31st December 2008, 03:44 PM
Mini for me too...:cool:

flyerncle
31st December 2008, 04:10 PM
A 40 Farina,Austin Mini Seven,Anglia (race 1500 gt engine ) Lotus Elan,Citroen GSx2, Citroen CX GTi ,Audi 90 Quattro,90 Quattro coupe,Toyota Celica ST and many more...

Motor trade since 1972 till present and still learning.

Stretchlandy
31st December 2008, 04:52 PM
1979 Austin Allegro (bought it for 295 pounds in 1988) - only kept it for 6 months as it had terminal rust and a large capacity for drinking oil - you learn from your mistakes?

frankie boy
31st December 2008, 05:39 PM
Vauxhall Viva HA had painted in brown. The best bit was the 8 track stereo player.

Jezzer99
31st December 2008, 10:09 PM
As for my own first car... Austin Metro 1.3L... nice :D

Followed by an MG Metro, Rover 216, Rover Coupe, MGF, MG ZS, MG ZT, BMW 5-series and now a Lexus... I must be getting old... having said that, still have an MG Midget sat next to the Roadster chassis in the garage. :cool: