PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors

CTWV50
23rd April 2014, 07:58 PM
Just looking at buying mirrors and noticed very few are e marked. then looked in the IVA manual.

"7. All mirrors must have an acceptable approval marking or have equivalent characteristics to a mirror approved for use on a vehicle of the same category as follows:

The reflective surface must be encased in a protective housing.

surfaces contactable by a 165mm sphere (interior) or a 100mm
sphere (exterior) must have a radius of curvature of at least 2.5mm – except for fixing holes or recesses less than 12mm wide, which must be blunted"

So mirrors don't need e marking they just need to comply?

skov
23rd April 2014, 08:06 PM
Yep, no e-mark required.

CTWV50
23rd April 2014, 08:10 PM
Yep, no e-mark required.

Tks. That's my lights and mirrors all sorted and ordered then.

baz-r
30th April 2014, 01:20 PM
check the glass size is big enough.

SeriesLandy
30th April 2014, 11:39 PM
Tks. That's my lights and mirrors all sorted and ordered then.

If you have the racetech or similar they are physically big enough (for an interior mirror see this post (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/report.php?p=97548)) but I don't 100% know if they meet the fields of view at iva.
That's what I've got on mine.

davedew
1st May 2014, 10:13 AM
When I had my IVA test all the examiner seemed interested in was looking for E markings. Spent ages looking for them on the tyres!!!

When he queried my reflectors as they didn't have E marks, I pointed out that they don't need to have them. The response I got was 'how do I know they have similar characteristics'!!!

So I swapped them for some spares I had which were E marked.

Mirror size was checked so make sure that they are the right size, and convex to aid viewing angles.

SeriesLandy
22nd June 2014, 06:02 PM
As I previously stated, the racetech mirrors are not iva ok. They are fine for interior (with trim) but don't comply with the second part of point 9 in the manual.
"An exterior mirror must be a minium of 40mm hing and 70mm long and be able to incorporate a measurement parallel to the height of the rectangle at least 70mm in length within the lens."

Somehow I missed this and it was my only fail on the day. The examiner did let me go and buy a pair so it turned out £60 cheaper than a retest but still expensive for a set of mirrors.