PDA

View Full Version : electric hand brake

frankie boy
26th January 2009, 11:07 PM
Hi All
Has any one considered having electric hand brake? The sierra hand brake does get in the way due to its size and position. I have a friend that supplies after market systems. You can have them to come on and off automatically or switch manually on and off. They can be adjusted for how long it takes to come on/off. I like the idea and the look.
Not in keeping with the build on a budget as they sell for around £495.

les g
26th January 2009, 11:13 PM
Hi All
Has any one considered having electric hand brake? The sierra hand brake does get in the way due to its size and position. I have a friend that supplies after market systems. You can have them to come on and off automatically or switch manually on and off. They can be adjusted for how long it takes to come on/off. I like the idea and the look.
Not in keeping with the build on a budget as they sell for around £495.

Frankie apparently one of the jags uses electric handbrakes
and they can be found on ebay
do a search on the other side sombody has done it and iirc they done it cheaper than £495
hth cheers les g

frankie boy
26th January 2009, 11:17 PM
Hi Les
Thanks. Will give it a look.

flyerncle
27th January 2009, 12:09 PM
They are fitted to Audi/VW and dreaded Renault,£600 pounds a piece when someone tries to force them back. No I haven't done it !
Even sense's when not wound back properly and puts engine light on, real pain on the bot.

SeriesLandy
27th January 2009, 05:48 PM
Frankie apparently one of the jags uses electric handbrakes.
cheers les g
It's the s type that has the electric handbrake. (the mother in law has one).

Chris Gibbs
27th January 2009, 08:10 PM
They used to be illegal, how do they handle a battery failure or other power off situations?

If they lock in a power off situation, what happens if this happens when the car is at speed?

I can't see how they work :confused:

Cheers

Chris :)

frankie boy
27th January 2009, 08:29 PM
HI Chris
My friend builds car for the disabled. He also sells after market parts like rain sensor for automatic wipers, lights sensors. I tried his car with the electric brake and it works well. Not just when you’re parking but on a hill start. I will get some more information on how it works. I do know that when it on automatic it comes on from the Speedo not giving a pulse. He did tell me how all works but I had a long day and didn’t take it all in. As he will give me one for a favour done I think I mite give it a try.

les g
27th January 2009, 09:56 PM
i think you are right i,m almost sure they are fitted to the VW passatts
drove one of our repmobiles the other day and it had a pushbutton on the dash for the handbrake
cheers les g
my new merc vito has a foot parking brake quite like it now i,m used to it
but where would i put one in a a roadster ???????????? :eek:
passenger foot well !!!!!!!!!!! dont think MR SVA would like that much !!!!!:D

fabbyglass
28th January 2009, 01:06 PM
Nooooo don't do it the devil lives in them there wires and when you aint looking and just for a giggle he will ping the button and your car is in a wall...

what's wrong with carbs and a few wires instead of all this trickery devil injection gubbins and wee black boxes that work one day and not the next

flyerncle
30th January 2009, 03:25 PM
Passat,A4,A6, Megane Scenic,and other combinations.
Scenic has red handle in boot floor to overide it in emergency situation.
VAG has eletric motors fitted to inboard rear of calipers and controlled by ECU/ECM and senses pad wear,must be wound back with laptop/diagnostic equipment as it counts the turns and then send it back when pads are fitted,if not done properly info display tells you it has not been adapted properly. You still have to push back the piston manually and they will shut if voltage drops,a battery charger must be used to stop this.
Is it worth the trouble ?
Frankie,does you friend do a "low water level sensor " would be handy to have.
Old Citroen "D"s used to have "foot hand brake" and the Tuareg has it as well in auto version,
Also fitted to lots of Mercs in auto's

Got to agree with Mark,Bring back the Dwell Angle and points/condensors ! .

Regards All

Coozer
1st February 2009, 04:30 PM
Passat,A4,A6, Megane Scenic,and other combinations.
Scenic has red handle in boot floor to overide it in emergency situation.
Regards All

What use is the handle in the boot when its running away down the hill??:eek: :eek:

Surely its easier to put the mechanical handle some where else? Like a umbrella handle type thingy under the dash?

Steve:cool: :cool:

flyerncle
1st February 2009, 06:08 PM
See your point Coozer but it is safer out of the way is it not,but then again who in their right mind wants to repair Renaults.