PDA

View Full Version : Rear Engined Roadster

Theoldman
17th February 2009, 09:04 PM
My dilemma, I have been offered in “exchange for services rendered” a modified 1.8 turbo VW engine, gearbox and drive shafts. The engine has be tuned to give about 250 bhp and I am considering modifying the rear of the roadster design to take the engine and gearbox. Currently I am thinking of using the Golf Mk4 uprights front and rear. Looking at the Mk 4 upright, I believe it is possible to change the sides over so as to allow the current roadster steering set up to be used. I will do some additional checking once I have obtained a pair of VW uprights and compared it to the sierra upright. I have searched the web for other designs and there are number. I even considered the option to get the Alphax Audi conversion, but at €775 it’s not the cheap option. Is anyone on the forum looked at a rear engine option?

The Old Man

AshG
17th February 2009, 10:41 PM
sell the audi engine as they go for silly money. then spend the money you make from the audi engine on a nice holiday or parts for the car and use the left over change to buy a zetec.

flyerncle
18th February 2009, 06:10 PM
Use the VW engine on Alpha-x adapter plate probably less hassle than zetec,
I did post an idea on here and it went something like ,slim down the chassis to one seat,move it forward through g/box aperture and fit engine/box where seat used to be, front of engine to center of driveshaft is fairly short and you could use front hubs on the rear,mount wishbone through lower hole and shock through top hole.Bobs your uncle....