PDA

View Full Version : Q plate Vs Age related

Tilly819
3rd March 2009, 03:16 PM
Hi all
What are the pro's and con's against a Q plate Vs A Age related plate.
Am i right in thinking that a Q plate is tasted on Pre 1975 emissions (a smoke test only) and that if you have a Q plate you cannot replace it with a personal plate??

Chears Tilly

shadowcaster
3rd March 2009, 04:08 PM
As you have said you can't change a Q Plate, it could have a knock on effect on the price if you wish to sell, which isn't too much of a problem. As for emissions I think you'll find it based on the age of the engine which is why it's vital to get some sort of confirmation of its age.

fabbyglass
3rd March 2009, 07:51 PM
I was under the impression that a q plated car or bike reverts to 1975 regs when it comes to mot on emissions...ie visual rather than a pipe stuck up it's spoutage...if right then i would sooner have a q plated car:D

AshG
3rd March 2009, 09:22 PM
it used to be like that fab but now all the mot stations have these new all singing all dancing fandango computer systems telling them what the emissions for the car should be.

fabbyglass
3rd March 2009, 10:23 PM
it used to be like that fab but now all the mot stations have these new all singing all dancing fandango computer systems telling them what the emissions for the car should be.

That's cheating and not playing the game:(

bob
13th May 2009, 09:55 AM
I spoke to a reliable MOT tester last night who told me no emision test is taken on a Q plate registered car, its just a visual only check.

He did think that in the future this actually could add value to a kit car with power engines that would struggle with newer emisions tests.

Food for thought really and depends on what you are going to do with the car in the future regarding engine changes and fueling.;)

davidimurray
14th May 2009, 02:49 PM
These may be of interest -

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/how_to_use_page_one.htm

http://7faq.com/owbase/ow.asp?EmissionsAndTheMOT_Test#h3