PDA

View Full Version : Vaux. Omega Donor?

thane
6th March 2009, 06:02 PM
Hey folks, just finished reading through Chris's book and slowly gearing myself to have a crack at this kit car lark (waiting to go on a welding course in the autumn and get a garage or somewhere to do the work). On the plus side I work in a manufacturing shop so have access to lathes and the like.

What I'd like to know is, has anyone tried using an omega as the donor for the build? sierra's are a bit thin on the ground around my area but there does seem to be a few omegas from 2l to v6's and I'd like to know if anyone has an idea how far from the book it would? I'm geussing it would just mean having to source a number of the parts elsewhere and modify the engine/transmission parts, plus rear shafts & hubs?

My other choice and preferred is to just pick up a sierra and fit a 2l zetec and get it running before doing the project. Or should I just go straight for later mondeo v6 if I'm going to all this trouble? Thoughts appreciated. :)

MightyMouth
6th March 2009, 06:23 PM
There are sierras everywhere if you look. I would say get on with building it in anticipation of finding a sierra the just keep looking at ebay and in you locals every day/week, one will probably come up before you actually need it.

Deviating from book is fine if you absolutely have to but why make it harder on yourself.

thane
6th March 2009, 06:39 PM
I agree with the making it harder then you to comment, hence why I'd like a more modern engine and rather have the aggro before starting with the build, however cheap rwd cars are becoming increasingly scarce, only bmws and mercs are common now so after fords, the next step is vauxhall and im surprised that there hasn't been anyone to give it ago yet.

I will keep on the lookout for a cheap sierra so I can at least start work on the donor in the mean time, till I can sort a workshop....

drury318
6th March 2009, 07:06 PM
Thane, cheap Sierra on ebay, no wheels though, but it is in Lincoln, A white one, says he will take scrap value for it, 320346920318 is the item number

Dennis

MightyMouth
6th March 2009, 07:47 PM
Linky (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320346920318&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2F search.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37.l1313%26sa title%3D320346920318%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1) Seems perfect for you. Nice one Drury

Chris Gibbs
6th March 2009, 11:07 PM
I've had a look at the Omega as a possible donor.

The engines are pretty big but should go in ok, ditto the gearbox with similar mods to the tunnel as in the MT75 chassis. The differential is big too, but again doable. The rear suspension suffers from the same problem as the Mercs and BMWs - none of the links are parralel with the axle or the vehicle centreline, so arent really any use. Not a massive problem in it's self but the rear hub bearing housings are part of the enormous trailing arms. This means that you would need to turn up some housings that will take the bearings and bolt to the fabricated upright like the Sierra ones. A machine shop job but not too bad.

At the front the main problem is thjat the uprights steer from the rear, that is that the steering ams face backwards, putting the steering rack right where the sump/crankcase is on a Roadster. A possible fix may be to swap the uprights side-for-side but I haven't done any detail work on wether the suspension geometry is workable or if there would be problems with the brake caliper rotation, with the hub effectively running in the opposite direction.

I've heard there's another book coming out that has a fabricated front upright that might be used in it's place :)

Cheers

Chris :)

thane
7th March 2009, 01:22 PM
thanks for the replies, looks like that sierras gone already! will keep my eyes peeled in the meantime.