PDA

View Full Version : The Rover V8

shadowcaster
7th March 2009, 01:06 PM
OK after a lot of thinking I have decided to use a Rover V8 in the Roadster. For me it makes econimic sence, I have a Discovery 3.9 V8 Auto running on LPG which I adore not least because of the smooth power of the V8. It' an engine I understand and have always loved since driving P6'es and SD1 years ago. However she is getting a bit tired and really needs an overhaul, new cam and big ends ect. So the plan is now to get another 3.9 V8 complete when funds allow and after giving it a check over put it in the Disco, then overhaul the one I take out. I may even use an auto box in the roadster as I'm not that intrested in out and out performance, just something that is fun to drive around the coast roads of Cornwall.

So whats the verdict am I mad/insane, should I think of adding additional bracing to the engine bay I think TR7 will have to go and be replaced by removable bracing.

MightyMouth
7th March 2009, 05:57 PM
To each his own but personally I think you are crazy. This type of car does not benefit from Big engine. You will lose agility and gain little if anything in speed and also add extra work for yourself. If you aren't interested in all out performance then find good running sierra as you need a donor regardless and use the engine that comes with. You could even get an auto if that suits you.

tr7v8
12th March 2009, 09:53 PM
To each his own but personally I think you are crazy. This type of car does not benefit from Big engine. You will lose agility and gain little if anything in speed and also add extra work for yourself. If you aren't interested in all out performance then find good running sierra as you need a donor regardless and use the engine that comes with. You could even get an auto if that suits you.

Why do lose agility? The RV8 weighs the same as a Pinto which a lot areusing on here.

flyerncle
13th March 2009, 06:04 PM
They put them in Seven's and Westie's and the auto may save you a few prob's. Do it....

MightyMouth
13th March 2009, 06:22 PM
Why do lose agility? The RV8 weighs the same as a Pinto which a lot areusing on here.

I wasn't aware of that.

flyerncle
13th March 2009, 07:51 PM
And if I remember correctly and Mr G will correct me if not,the roadster was able to take said engine and frame was up to the stress.
Flak awaited.....

Chris Gibbs
13th March 2009, 09:33 PM
Did I say that? :eek:

No, the chassis should be ok for the Rover engine.

The bit about the pinto and the Rover V8 being the same weight is a bit of an urban myth, probably the fault of the internet.

The rover block weighs a little less than a pinto engine, which means that the dressed V8 is 25kg or so heavier than the pinto. It's still a light engine for it's power.

The V8 gets lighter and the pinto gets heavier everytime I hear this yarn, to the point that someone told me that the Rover engine was "about two thirds of the weight of a pinto" yes it's got a lighter block but a huge crankshaft, 8 pistons and 8 con rods do weigh something!

Cheers

Chris :)

shadowcaster
16th March 2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm making the right choice the Rover engine is a good depenable engine, parts are quite cheap from the many Land Rover vendors and she should sound great:cool:.

Still have the question about TR7, should I make it smaller and weld it or make it removable, to make getting the engine in/out easier.

MikeB
16th March 2009, 11:08 AM
In the MGB I believe the engine weights weren't that different betwen v8 an in line 4, a bit more on the v8 but not enough to mess up the handling.
Go for it, I wouldn't put an old auto box in though, I would almost guarantee you'll love the dropping a cog to overtake and the ability to hold the power round the corners etc.

You'll have a load of torque anyway so you won't need to constantly change gear with a manual, horses for courses though..

Bonzo
16th March 2009, 12:53 PM
I was out mending my grandsons kickstart on his slowped yesterday.

A Range Rover went down the lane. My eldest said what the hell is in that !!??

Rover V8 son, was the reply. He said "Cool" :cool:

To be honest I had forgotten just how sweet the sound of a V8 purring away is. :cool: :cool:

tr7v8
16th March 2009, 10:16 PM
Did I say that? :eek:

No, the chassis should be ok for the Rover engine.

The bit about the pinto and the Rover V8 being the same weight is a bit of an urban myth, probably the fault of the internet.

The rover block weighs a little less than a pinto engine, which means that the dressed V8 is 25kg or so heavier than the pinto. It's still a light engine for it's power.

The V8 gets lighter and the pinto gets heavier everytime I hear this yarn, to the point that someone told me that the Rover engine was "about two thirds of the weight of a pinto" yes it's got a lighter block but a huge crankshaft, 8 pistons and 8 con rods do weigh something!

Cheers

Chris :)

The Rover uses thin wall casting technologies so is light even for an all alloy engine. A quick google gives the Rover at 320Lb & the Pinto at between 370-400Lb.
If you dump the CI manifolds on both which you would do for a kit then the difference is is significant.
The lumpy bit of the V8 is the flywheel which mine had 3kG hacked off of & probably could have lost more.

NigelC
16th March 2009, 11:12 PM
Hi

I think the V8 is a great idea.

I am going down the track of using a Rover V8 as well. It was suggested to me that perhaps I should use 50x25x1.6 for the top and bottom rails as this will add significant strength to the chassis, and give a little more height to fit the V8 into. In New Zealand we have to go through a low volume vehicle certification process, and the certifiers are generally very helpful and provide little gems like this.

Go for the V8

Cheers
Nigel

fabbyglass
17th March 2009, 05:58 PM
Might pay to up the gauge of the lower rails as well perhaps to 14swg?

shadowcaster
17th March 2009, 07:21 PM
I was thinking it would be a good idea to add a bit of extra strength in those areas. :cool:

flyerncle
17th March 2009, 08:43 PM
Input from the boss might be helpfull if you are adding metal here and there or am I in for more flack Mr G ?

After all I would think it was CAD drawn and all stresses etc worked out with good margin for the "Human factor" built in.

Just a thought....

snapper
18th March 2009, 10:08 PM
You may need bigger wheels or a taller diff to make use of the lower revs but higher torque

V8 Roadster
10th July 2009, 03:20 PM
The rover V8 fits a treat! as for weight the heads and block are aluminium most of the serious weight is in the crank and gearbox giving a low centre of gravity!
To fit the engine with rover manual sd1 gearbox the top bulkhead box section needs to be moved back approx 1 1/2", the vertical box section on the drivers side is moved in again approx 1 1/2" this nescessitates altering the angle of the bend of the lower rail (box section) on this side. This still leaves ample room for a pedal box to be made up.
The reason for moving the engine back is to provide clearance for steering shaft to steering rack, also you will need to fit a Seirra Cosworth 2wd (short) oil filter which is a direct fitment to the rover v8.
This should also improve handling, with this set up i have got a good 4" ground clearence from the sump.
Drivetrain wise i have used the Cosworth 2wd 7 1/2" diff, drive shafts and hubs for use of rear discs.

Jimbob
10th July 2009, 08:39 PM
Hi Shadowcaster. I'm in the process of fitting an RV8 to mine..

It might be a little heavier sure... But not much, at least the blockis short and will sit back.

The worst that will happen is that you'll end up with nearly 200 torquey hp and an awsome sound. (with two exhausts!)

Come on man, what are you waiting for?

mr henderson
11th July 2009, 08:22 AM
Go for it, I wouldn't put an old auto box in though, I would almost guarantee you'll love the dropping a cog to overtake and the ability to hold the power round the corners etc.

Auto boxes can change down too!

AFAIAC there is only one problem with the auto boxes easily available for RV8s is that they don't usually have an overdrive gear. The four speed boxes fitted to later Range Rovers are no good for us because of the 4WD transfer box that is incorporated.

So, if anyone fancies an auto box on an RV8 then they will want to go for the tallest ratio diff they can get.

The later SD1 auto box is the one to go for, drive that gently in top, then when you want to overtake, just boot it. The box will sense the drop in vacuum and change down (very quickly) and the results will be very acceptable:eek:

fabbyglass
11th July 2009, 11:49 AM
Can't beat a bit of gear stirring by hand though...:rolleyes:

mr henderson
11th July 2009, 12:37 PM
Can't beat a bit of gear stirring by hand though...:rolleyes:

Bentley don't offer manual gearboxes, and some of their cars are fairly quick. Come to think of it, aren't Grand Prix cars automatic too?

fabbyglass
11th July 2009, 01:05 PM
That they might be but F1 is like watching paint dry as for the other barge like thing........:eek:

mr henderson
11th July 2009, 06:21 PM
That they might be but F1 is like watching paint dry as for the other barge like thing........:eek:

Somehow the chance to drive an F1 car has passed me by (I shouldn't think I could get in one anyway). But I have had the chance to drive a Bentley Continental Flying Spur, unsupervised by the owner, and 'barge' is not a suitable expression to describe it. 'Fast' would be better, ' kin fast' would be better still. You can boot one of those at speeds at any 7 type car would be struggling to reach, and feel the push as it winds its way up to 'headlines in the national press if you get caught' kinds of speeds.

And they can accelerate too. And they only come in automatic (6 speeds) but you can change manually if you want too.

Just depends what you mean by fast, I suppose.

Anyway, to get back to the original discussion, automatics in a sportscar, even a 7, are OK.