PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for stripping sierra donor?

MightyMouth
11th March 2009, 12:15 PM
I am about to start stripping my donor. I do not own an engine hoist and I have heard of removing the engine with the suspension but can't figure out the logistics of it. How best to support the car etc while undoing all of the bolts and once the engine and suspension are free how hard is it to lift the car high enough to remove the engine?

Also any other tips on the order to strip the car etc. or anything else would be appreciated.

SeriesLandy
11th March 2009, 01:57 PM
I am about to start stripping my donor. I do not own an engine hoist and I have heard of removing the engine with the suspension but can't figure out the logistics of it. How best to support the car etc while undoing all of the bolts and once the engine and suspension are free how hard is it to lift the car high enough to remove the engine?

Also any other tips on the order to strip the car etc. or anything else would be appreciated.

I know it means spending a little bit of money but can you not hire one from a local hire shop? £30 from HSS (http://www.hss.com/g/67715/500kg-Engine-Crane-Folding.html)

Or know someone that you can borrow one if you post your location i'm sure someone can help.

Bonzo
11th March 2009, 02:55 PM
Removing the engine & box without a hoist is not too much trouble.

Support the car on sturdy safe blocks. I mean safe, you will need access underneath. ;)

Once you have disconnected the prop from the diff, exhast, gearbox mounts, & steering shaft. Oh and don't forget engine wires + heater water pipes,clutch cable, speedo cable & fuel pipes.

Cut the front lower crossmember out. You can also cut out the upper front crossmember if you want more room to work.

Support the gearbox & engine sump. Remove the front subframe bolts. Lower the engine & box onto a suitable board, Jacks or pallet with wheels. Then just drag it out from the front of the car. :)

Personally I would rather use a hoist. But have had to take this route many times at the breakers.

I have a hoist but not much use to you all the way down in cornwall !!?? :D :D

Bonzo
11th March 2009, 03:46 PM
Oh, and don't forget to loosen the rear driveshaft nuts while the wheels are still on the car & the brakes still work. :o :o :D :D

MightyMouth
11th March 2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks all. I would rather not spend money I dont have to so I recon dragging out the front is the way. Good tip about the drive shaft nuts.