PDA

View Full Version : DOHC as a donor?

thane
19th March 2009, 04:47 PM
It looks like a sierra 2l twink donor has come up on fleaby near me, does anyone know what difficulties there are with using this engine as a donor? reason I ask is I'm not sure if I will be able change this engine out for a setec until a later date and would like to keep the car in a road worthy/MOT state until I'm ready to start the build.

In short, is it worth it then transplant a zetec 2l at a later date or just hold off and wait for a chv or a pinto to come back? long term I do want to use a zetec but as always time and space are against me.

deezee
19th March 2009, 06:28 PM
Depends if you have a chassis yet? Will yours take a MT75 gearbox? The DOHC isn't a very good engine for a kit car. Its quite heavy and doesn't produce much power, for its size. Plus clearance might be an issue, with that whopping inlet manifold.

thane
19th March 2009, 07:20 PM
no chassis as yet as I havent got the space. just trying to weigh up if there is any benefit in putting in a zetec in the sierra now rather then when building the chassis. Ideally a car that can pass an mot with minimal effort is prob better but not knowing if bigger engine sierra had better parts then a lower spec one was the incentive to see if this is a better donor

fabbyglass
19th March 2009, 09:13 PM
My XR4i bangs on a fair bit for a 140k 19 year old car...125ish according to the go faster clock but funny flashy blue lights in the distance make it slow down ;)

les g
19th March 2009, 10:18 PM
twink motor is ok for a bout 120 hp but it is hellish heavy
lots have been fitted
but its expensive to get more power from
i,d buy it for now and and take my time and find a zetec later as it will go straight on the mt75 gearbox which is really strong and fitted to that motor
dont right the twink off as a donor its a good motor with lots of torque but
there are better and lighter motors that are more easily tuned
cheers lesg

axle
16th September 2009, 02:28 PM
My XR4i bangs on a fair bit for a 140k 19 year old car...125ish according to the go faster clock but funny flashy blue lights in the distance make it slow down ;)

Hi Mark
You have just made my day, this what i have got in my car!

fabbyglass
16th September 2009, 04:04 PM
Ignore what folk say about them they shift and have loadsa grunt. My xr4 just begs to be thrashed...If my XR can hit 125 with no problem it would be hoot in a 7 if you can stop it spinning, but I find that part of the charm as it lets go really easily...:cool:

axle
17th September 2009, 10:37 AM
Hi Mark
yes, charm is one thing you are never short of mate, have a nice day it is clear sky and sunny here!