PDA

View Full Version : F1. Is it the car or the driver.

shadowcaster
28th March 2009, 10:03 AM
Over the last few years I've been wondering just how much is down to the driver and how much is the car. This weekend at Australia seems to favour the car, I always though that it's more the car than the driver, with about 14 or so drivers more that capable of taking the championship if they had the car. Would Scuhy have won the championship in a Minardi, could Button have taken the title last year in a McLaran.

So what does everyone think.

MightyMouth
28th March 2009, 10:20 AM
I think its the driver and the best driver often gets the best car so that compounds the issue. When Schuey dominated, often Rubens was nowhere to be seen, If it was the car then surely Rubens would have done better.

Bonzo
28th March 2009, 10:23 AM
I have often thought about this subject.

After viewing this mornings qually's it would appear that the momentum is in favour of the cars design.

You can take nothing away from the drivers though. If you are siting in a F1 one car then you are amongst the elite of your sport.

Mind you. A few million £s to put into the team & another umpteen million £s of sponsorship will help to get you behind the wheel of a F1 car :D :D

A nice wet weather race seems to sort out the true brilliant drivers from the rest.
But again how much of this is down to the car & its setup. :confused: :confused:

fabbyglass
28th March 2009, 10:58 AM
Driver but then I think F1 is like watching paint dry.......very boring!

flyerncle
28th March 2009, 01:33 PM
Multi billion pound scalectrix,but it is more down to the driver now they have removed most of the electrickery gizmo's on them. No SVA/IVA for them !

shadowcaster
29th March 2009, 10:30 AM
I still think it's still loaded towards the car or rather the team and the package they create for the driver. Clearly it's one of those questions that really has no right answer.

fabbyglass
29th March 2009, 08:39 PM
With ugly cars boring commentary and equally boring racing I don't know why folk get so excited by it.
Try watching the laguna seca motogp race from last year...now that's edge of yer seat shout at the telly box racing..:D

HandyAndy
29th March 2009, 09:00 PM
i,d say its a bit of both, a drivers ability & a car built to make the most of that ability (tweeked to each driver ) two drivers in same team have usually very different set ups, wouldn.t get the best out of their team mates car if they swapped their cars.
as for Moto GP, i,m usually on edge of sofa leaning & sticking knee out ( sad aren,t i ),
Mark , have you ever saved a highside & landed back in the seat? argghh ! landing on the tank with wedding tackle making first contact:eek: :eek: :o

andy

fabbyglass
30th March 2009, 03:58 PM
No Andy I'm a good law abiding person when on HRH's race tracks...:rolleyes:

jasongray5
31st March 2009, 12:35 AM
F1 is good, but oh so boring when compaired to moto gp,
5 of us went up last year and Toseland stacked it in front of us twice! Brilliant racing and on the whole, a nice bunch of people to watch motor sport with and drink beer.
P.S. we are planning a return skirmish this year, complete with crazy hair cuts...