PDA

View Full Version : Scrappage Incentive

davidimurray
16th April 2009, 01:35 PM
Well as I have yet to see the matter raised on here yet. What effect does everyone think the proposed introduction of the scrappage incentive will have on our hobby. Will you still be able to get Sierras? I am going to get on to getting a donor ASAP when I get back home in may!

Cheers

Dave

P.s. - if anyone has a donor they are looking to get rid of I may be interested ;)

Big Vern
16th April 2009, 02:36 PM
Hi Dave,
Suspect the main effect will be to push the price of suitable donors up from around 50 quid to about 1200 quid. Parts should still be available from reclaimation yards it's just the cars will get pricey as people cash in on the increased demand for 'scrappers'! It'll only affect those building a car from single donor or who want age related rather than q plate. Since I beleive the emisions test will be related to age of engine the age related donor thing would have little effect. Reclaimation yards who are half sharp could sell kits of parts from popular donors so I wouldn't panic yet! The classic car mob are getting worked up about it as they see the likelyhood of restorable classics and 'future' classics will get scrapped.
IMHO scrappage incentive is hardly a green thing so the Gov.nment have lost green vote on this in my view and the so called 'friends of the earth' have lost all credibility coming out in support of something that generates more polution and distruction of the planet than re-using and recycling!!!!!
I'll climb down off my soap box now:)

davidimurray
16th April 2009, 03:21 PM
Totally agree with you Vern!

It's amazing how short sighted so many of these green initiatives are - don't mention wind turbines to me!!!

here's an interesting thought I had - The type of people who have cars that are 9yrs+ old are either enthusaists, or the type of people that can't afford something newer! So that means that the people who can afford new cars, will be buying up old ones, pushing up the prices. So the people who can only afford older cars will no longer be able to afford them, and those are probably the people who need it most (single mothers, low incomes etc). What could be even more bizarre is that cars that are 5-6 years old could be worth very little, but increase in price as they approach 9 years old! How strange would that be??

Interestingly - my 6 year old diesel does about 60-70mpg, is in the lowest tax band, but in a few years I may be able to trade it in for a nice fuel guzzling sports car and get a £2k gift!

fabbyglass
16th April 2009, 09:45 PM
Anarchy for the UK....and we need it NOW!.....;)

davidimurray
16th April 2009, 10:01 PM
Fabby - step away from the resin!

HandyAndy
16th April 2009, 10:05 PM

i think the leaders of our nation think that everyone in this country are called Ben Dover ???? cos we just accept everything & take the cr@p without putting up a fight??????
ooooh don,t get me going on politics after the day i,ve had, :D

andy
ps fabby, fancy a ride on a flash bike & barter for some bodywork, wink wink.
only joking, lol

Bonzo
16th April 2009, 10:24 PM
OOOOOH do that mean my 98 Mazda could be worth a couple of grand soon !!??

I can treat myself to a new motor.

With the money I save, I will be able to buy a nice wind turbine.

Going to have to lobby my local MP.

:D :D

Sorry chaps, i'll get me coat :o :o

fabbyglass
16th April 2009, 10:29 PM
OOOOOOOO go on spill the beans:)

My bit on politics:

The scots have a nice funny word and that funny word is..."pish"
It sums up all politicians nicely:D

Cyberbeej
16th April 2009, 11:58 PM
Dam right pish man!!!!!

big_sid
17th April 2009, 12:11 AM

Totally agree!

AshG
17th April 2009, 08:52 AM
i think the leaders of our nation think that everyone in this country are called Ben Dover ???? cos we just accept everything & take the cr@p without putting up a fight??????
ooooh don,t get me going on politics after the day i,ve had, :D

andy

they dont think... they know!

flyerncle
17th April 2009, 04:32 PM
"Pish" keeps their ears apart Mark.

timinder
1st May 2009, 04:54 PM
The scrappage scheme probably won't have that big an effect on us to be honest. To qualify, you have to have owned the car for 12 months and it has to have a current MoT, so you won't get people who are going to but a new car buying a scrapper for £50 and taking it off to the garage etc. Also, there is only a finite amount of money in the pot and a definite timescale (about a year I think) that it will operate for, the scheme will end when one of the two runs out. Also, it isn't compulsory for manufacturers to join, and in Germany, it's only the low-end companies that are taking part.
I can't see that many private individuals wanting to spend any money on a new car at the moment, it's just madness to buy something which as soon as you have paid for it is only worth 75% of what you just paid!!