PDA

View Full Version : Are you a biker?

davidimurray
16th April 2009, 10:39 PM
I detect that a few people on here are bikers so come on, hold your hands up and tell us about your ride.

Me, I ride a 54 plate SV650s - commute on it most of the year round - even had to use all through this winter due to my car breaking its diff - up until about -5C it was quite plesant!

Cheers

Dave

HandyAndy
16th April 2009, 10:43 PM
top man David, riding all year i mean, not many do.
yep, i,m guilty of being a biker, VFR750, old one (1990) & ex bike racer for semi pro team.

andy

davidimurray
16th April 2009, 10:49 PM
I must admit I find it strangely satisfying riding in the crap weather. When it gets really cold I chuck on a thermal vest, thermal sock and inner gloves and I find that to be warm enough. It also has the advantage that I arrive at work wide awake and grinning from ear to ear! The only problem I find with my current job is that I can have to travel around our works (steel works!), which is a pain in furnace gear so I have been thinking about getting a VFR with a full set of panniers.

fabbyglass
16th April 2009, 10:51 PM
Guilty m'lud........:cool:

fabbyglass
16th April 2009, 10:52 PM
Though at present I'm without the bit that keeps you sane....until this weekend that is..;)

Bonzo
16th April 2009, 10:54 PM
Been over 35 years since I was last on two wheels.

Just as well, The moddern breed of bikes scare the crap out of me. :eek: :eek:

My pride & joy when I was 17 was an ex race prepared Yamaha 125 twin. I thought that thing was mental. :o :o

fabbyglass
16th April 2009, 10:59 PM
OOO an early RD twin luvvly jubbly...Now I remember the feature in PB with what they called "Micro disney" a reverse barrelled RD 125....right get lost Mark it's time to sleep and you are getting sad:o

HandyAndy
16th April 2009, 10:59 PM
VFR,s are great bikes, they do the commuting & are also quite nippy in sport mode :D knee down style, they can show up a few of the superbikes if ridden hard, makes me smile when a blade/r1 rider has the look of surprise when they realise i,m still with em, :D
only real problem with them is the rectifier, gets too hot but there is a mod you can do to solve it.
riding all year round makes you a better rider in my opinion, judge road surfaces better etc etc.
tho i admit i,m a track addict, racing is such fun, falling off doesn,t hurt, stopping hurts.:o
my claim to fame is i beat James Whitham & got a push start off Carl Fogarty.

andy

davidimurray
16th April 2009, 11:04 PM
So fabby - whats the new wheels?

One of the most impressive bikes I've ridden recently has been my brother-in-laws Suzuki B-King. Expected a real animal, but got on and tootled around very sedatly and calmly until we hit the country roads. Then went for an overtake, opened the throttle wide and it was like something from a sci-fi film, thw hole world just blurred around me. You have to actually indicate before you start to open the throttle as you need all your grip to hang on for dear life. You can easily see three figure speeds in second gear! I spent sixty miles using every single expletive and invented a few more. Got back and apparently sttod there looking at it for 10 minutes swearing and shaking my head. It was awesome I want one!

fabbyglass
16th April 2009, 11:18 PM
Not telling 'cos you lot will laugh at me..:o

fabbyglass
16th April 2009, 11:21 PM
Would love an LC again but not the daft price they go for these days!...Hell the last one I had I sold for £300 quid in good nick but that was 3000 years ago when petrol was 10p for a tanker full and mars bars were 10 foot long...:eek:

davidimurray
16th April 2009, 11:23 PM
Is it a CG125?? I had one as my first ever bike, used to do 80 miles a day on it, normally tucked down on the tank - probably explains why I've got a bad back!

I hope its not a scooter ......

C'mon spill the beans - we won't laugh, too loud!

fabbyglass
16th April 2009, 11:27 PM
You will when you see a pale blue honda melody whooop past you....:D :D

HandyAndy
16th April 2009, 11:31 PM
come on Mark, out with it, what you bought? that duke??? ;)
andy

davidimurray
16th April 2009, 11:35 PM
I hope it is a melody!

Cyberbeej
16th April 2009, 11:53 PM
My first bike was a Suzuki GS500 till it bit the dust in a head on with a f***ing taxi driver overtaking, Currently got a Kawasaki ZZR600 E5 model(1997). Scares the life out me now after my accident so its up for sale if anyone's interested?????

Thats why i'm building a 220bhp roadster, serious fun that i can't fall off.

jasongray5
17th April 2009, 12:01 AM
A collection of off road bikes, trials and mx with a quad for good measure, me and 6 others have now bought mini moto's and are loving racing them. Makes me want to start up going on track days with a big bike...?

dogwood
17th April 2009, 08:07 AM
Yup I was a biker, did 35 years.
Finaly ended when a F*****g kid on a mobile phone did a U turn infront of me....

Still I got the Roadster now:D
Just like being on the bike with the wind in my hair.....Erm head..
I can be a hoodlum again....:cool:

ME....http://www.chopper-club.com/History/dino.htm
David

flyerncle
17th April 2009, 04:42 PM
Rode an SP1 once,that was enough. Week later spat the owner off at 15 mph on a dry road on the middle of a roundabout.

Jimmyd
17th April 2009, 06:52 PM
Currently got a VTR1000F aka Firestorm. Had it for 7yrs now and every year it does less miles. If it's not careful the engine could end up in a Roadster. Fantastic note out of the big twin with race pipes. Think it would be awesome in a seven type car.

J

davidimurray
17th April 2009, 07:07 PM
Strangely enough I have wondered about chucking a V-twin in the roadster. You can pick up Aprilia RSV1000 engines with the throttle bodies, wiring loom, ECU etc etc for around £400 - not bad for around 120 rampant italian horses and lots of torque -http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/rsvdyno.htm

wozza
17th April 2009, 07:32 PM
Not sure if this counts but ive got whats left of an fzr600r after it chucked me off on a country lane

thwang
17th April 2009, 07:40 PM
used to be sold my last bike when i became a father just over 3 years ago. the last one i had was a stage 2 mk1 powervalve
with some luvly jimmy lomas race cans
simon

HandyAndy
17th April 2009, 07:43 PM
Currently got a VTR1000F aka Firestorm. Had it for 7yrs now and every year it does less miles. If it's not careful the engine could end up in a Roadster. Fantastic note out of the big twin with race pipes. Think it would be awesome in a seven type car.

Jgreat bike, it sounds like the perfect donor for a single seater next year ;) ;)
i was gonna put my vfr motor in the single seater, still might when i finish my roadster :)
cheers
andy

Blade
23rd April 2009, 10:02 PM
A couple of my old rides , the black sportster was the wifes , a present from me when she passed her test, the chop was from years ago

do i qualify as a biker ??? :D

londonsean69
26th April 2009, 11:59 PM
Grew up on bikes, the old man owned a courier firm and a breakers.

The list was long, but I haven't ridden in 5 years (I'm 28 now)

Highlights:
NSR250 MC18 (Got stopped on it the very day I passed my full test - for a wheelie with drunken passenger)
CBR400RR
ZX7-R (at 21) - totalled by lady driver pulling out - nice plate in wrist
Duke 916 (at 22:D) - too cramped and painful because of above plate
VTR1000F (Firestorm), which is now in the garage, recently sporting a VFR800 SS swingarm and underseat pipe

Last Sunday I very very nearly signed off on an 07 R1, it was the nuts, but I am shying away from sportsbikes now, the power is too scary (although the missus was eyeing up a GSXR1000 TT special edition as a replacement for her thundercat). I am thinking I might go for a supermotard, as I would probably fit a bit better (6ft3).

Sean