PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Clearance

Spikehaus
22nd April 2009, 08:38 PM
Hi

I fitted my rear wheels last weekend. While I was fitting them I notice that the bottom wishbone and upright have very little clearance between the rims. The rolling chassis touches the rim in places.

I have reduced the threaded bar to the shortest length possible, however I have maintained the washers on each end as I assume this retains the bush tubes. I have not get fully tightend the hub nuts. I am hoping that when tightend this will rectify the issue but did not want to use the nyloc until final assembly.

Do I need to either?

1) Buy larger rims?
2) Make ali spacers to increase the distance by 5-10 mm?
3) Tighten the hub nuts as the nylocs will not make any diffrence if already self tapped?

Has anyome else had similar issues?

AshG
22nd April 2009, 08:46 PM
the hub was designed for 15inch alloy wheels. if you want to go smaller you will need to make new bottom wishbones that use rose joints.

failing that, its a hub redesign. its the worst part on the roadster if you want to go racing with 13inch wheels.

every problem has a solution its just finding it

HandyAndy
22nd April 2009, 08:48 PM
Spikehaus you have PM

andy

Spikehaus
22nd April 2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks Ash,

I have been trying to find a valid argument to justify spending more DIY money on new rims! That's just what I wanted to hear!

axle
26th May 2009, 02:43 PM
the hub was designed for 15inch alloy wheels. if you want to go smaller you will need to make new bottom wishbones that use rose joints.

failing that, its a hub redesign. its the worst part on the roadster if you want to go racing with 13inch wheels.

every problem has a solution its just finding it

I like to fit 16" by 205 low profile, I am not sure what wheels to use to have enough clearance in the back with the stanadard wings!
Any idea it will be appreciated!

Regards Axle

RAYLEE29
26th May 2009, 06:10 PM
Hi guys which area of the rear hub/wishbone causes the problem?
I was hoping to use the 14" wheels from my donor especially as i spent so long last week cleaning them up!:mad:

dogwood
26th May 2009, 06:42 PM
Hi guys which area of the rear hub/wishbone causes the problem?
I was hoping to use the 14" wheels from my donor especially as i spent so long last week cleaning them up!:mad:

OOOPS!!!!:eek:

You will find the lower mount's where the upright fits the wishbone fouls the rim if you try to use anything smaller than 15's.

David

Spikehaus
26th May 2009, 06:56 PM
I have some lovely scuffs around the inside of my 14 inch alloy rims as evidence of this!:mad: To get around the problem on a temporary basis, I purchased some ali spacers for about £12- 15. This has allowed me to to complete the rolling chassis until such time that I wish to spend out on the bling bits.:)

OOOPS!!!!:eek:

You will find the lower mount's where the upright fits the wishbone fouls the rim if you try to use anything smaller than 15's.

David

RAYLEE29
27th May 2009, 01:17 PM
So does anyone have a picture of the area that hits so i can change the design to suit pls
Ray:)

axle
27th May 2009, 01:26 PM
I really can see what your concern is , as the the car in the book was fitted with the !4".

AXLE

RAYLEE29
29th May 2009, 10:41 AM
So are you saying that 14" wheels fit and that the prototype has 14s on it?
pictures of the clearance problem would still be apreciated.
thanks Ray:)

Spikehaus
29th May 2009, 08:18 PM
I have loads of photos of this on my link below

As you can see the yellow polybush inserts are just touching the rims. Will try to take a better photo tommorow when I am in the workshop

So are you saying that 14" wheels fit and that the prototype has 14s on it?
pictures of the clearance problem would still be apreciated.

thanks Ray:)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3453328666_6ce58b6898.jpg?v=0

jiwillia
14th November 2009, 03:17 PM
As a new boy on here I'm alarmed to find at this stage of my build that there is clearance problem with 14" wheels and the lower rear wishbones.
Given I already have the 14" wheels and the lower rear wishbones made but still have the uprights to fabricate I think I'm nearly up the creek! So was wondering if it would be sufficient to reduce the 96mm dimension on RU1 by say 15mm? How detrimental would this be to the design and also would 15mm reduction be sufficient to give the necessary clearance?

Just want to say that this forum is a great source of info for me and thank all and sundry for their inputs. I'm looking forward to Exeter next weekend and will be soaking up as much info as possible! Also have loads of bits still to source

Cheers
John

RAYLEE29
14th November 2009, 04:33 PM
Hi, my solution to this problem was to move the bottom holes in the upright up by 6mm thus moving the end of the wishbone up by 6mm the wheels now fit
I havent finished my car havent driven it and wont be for some time so I cant say for sure if there is any consequence to this mod but im confident it will be fine
I wouldnt go to 15mm as thats a bit excessive in my opinion
Ray:)

jiwillia
14th November 2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks Ray, that gives me the confidence to proceed with a modified hole position.
Cheers
John:)