PDA

View Full Version : a great big thankyou

HandyAndy
25th April 2009, 08:21 PM
Hi all, i hope you don,t mind me starting a new thread for this but i really do think it warrants it.
i,ve just got home from a very long but satisfying day,
:D i,ve got my donor in the back of my van :D
i don,t quite know how to put this but the goodwill i,ve received today from a forum member is beyond " the call of duty", i,m truly humbled that a forum member who hadn,t met me till this morning could do so much for me,
my donor was driven to newcastle this morning & now its in the back of my van ready to be offloaded tomorrow where i,m building my Roadster.
All of today is totally thanks to " Flyerncle" , top bloke isn,t praise enough,
as said, i took the sierra to his workshop, then travelled home by train (an hour away) to collect my van & returned to the workshop, i,m sure my expression must,ve been funny cos half of the stripdown was done & on the floor :eek:
by about 4pm the whole car was stripped of everything i need for my build.
my drive home was slower than usual (i drive an ldv van so always slow) with everything barr the bodyshell of a sierra in the back.
i would like to publically thank "Flyerncle" for all his help, something that would have taken me weeks to achieve & many skinned knuckles i,m sure.
THANKYOU :)

CHEERS
ANDY
ps, there is something sadistically satisfying stripping a car to nothing, smiles

Bonzo
25th April 2009, 08:46 PM
Well done to both of you.

You have done well to strip that lot in a day. ;)

Very nice to have an experienced pair of hands to help. :)

I think it is great fun pulling a car to bits knowing that you don't have to put it back together again. :D :D

HandyAndy
25th April 2009, 08:59 PM
Well done to both of you.

You have done well to strip that lot in a day. ;)

Very nice to have an experienced pair of hands to help.

I think it is great fun pulling a car to bits knowing that you don't have to put it back together again.
Ronnie, in all honesty i didn,t really do much apart from get in the way & asked stupid questions like "whats this do, whats that for, do i need this bit" :o
Flyerncle was busy stripping this, that & don,t need that etc, i think the strangest feeling is when we "towed it away" :D :D say no more but it was lower than any street rod car you,ve ever seen.
but Ronnie i somehow DO have to put it all back together & thats scary.
cheers
andy

fabbyglass
25th April 2009, 09:16 PM
Good day then mate, putting it back together as a roadster is easier than stripping some old nail with rusty fittings that haven't been undone since the day Fraud fitted them..:D

HandyAndy
25th April 2009, 09:27 PM
Good day then mate, putting it back together as a roadster is easier than stripping some old nail with rusty fittings that haven't been undone since the day Fraud fitted them..:D
Mark you know my missus well then?????:D :D
seriously tho its been a great day, another chapter in the build, chassis, donor, shiny bits,:D , roll bar soon, got the alloys, just got to get it all bolted together, gulp.
andy

les g
25th April 2009, 09:34 PM
well done guys
its really good when people like us hang out with people like us
things happen
cheers les g

fabbyglass
25th April 2009, 09:47 PM
Les that sounds pervy.........:o

Hows TJ doing by the way?

HandyAndy
25th April 2009, 09:49 PM
yep i agree Les G,
maybe if other sectors of the population followed the same respect for others that exists on this forum the country would be a happier place to live.
cheers
andy

fabbyglass
25th April 2009, 09:53 PM
yep i agree Les G,
maybe if other sectors of the population followed the same respect for others that exists on this forum the country would be a happier place to live.
cheers
andy

And down with politicians.....;)

jasongray5
25th April 2009, 10:13 PM
yep i agree Les G,
cheers
andy

Decent bunch of blokes on this site, Like you say, if more people were like it the world would be a much nicer place...
Well done the pair of you for getting the donor done in one day!!

HandyAndy
25th April 2009, 10:21 PM
thanks Jase, i can,t believe the speed/progress of my build so far, :)
looking at how many roll hoops have been purchased recently is a good indication of how many Roadsters are currently being built, it must be around the 30 mark so maybe we can get a stand/pitch at next years stoneleigh show, have a few on display etc, what do folk think?
cheers
andy

jasongray5
25th April 2009, 10:27 PM
Well definately!!
Can't help but feel that the chassis,donor, and roll bar are all the cheapest bits.
Personaly, I started in November 08 and by the end of febuary, had finished my chassis, stripped my donor and got all my wishbones. Just need to buy a decent bike engine now. And until I can afford one, motivation to make jigs ect has hit an all time low! Dont know how many others are in a similar boat?

HandyAndy
25th April 2009, 10:39 PM
thats a fair point on the cheaper bits, but the way i look at it is this....
chassis=almost finished except need wishbones
donor stripped
alloys= got
bodywork= almost got (ordered)
roll bar = almost got (ordered )
so it makes feel that theres no turning back now which is what hopefully will keep me focused if i hit a low point,
next expense for me is wishbones/polybushes
shocks
& probably a 101 things that all add up
then IVA costs.
i,ve set myself a target to go to stoneleigh next year in my Roadster, am i mad or what??? :D :rolleyes:

andy

fabbyglass
25th April 2009, 10:50 PM
Build them quick as this government will no doubt stop us making our own cars:mad:

flyerncle
26th April 2009, 08:47 AM
I think I should reply, This forum is full of like minded people with the same goal,producing a self made car. The knowledge base is probably second to none and everybody has some input,some of it a little off track but thats human nature.
I will be truthfull and say after I said "I will give you a hand Andy" I thought what have you just said, But then thought why not, I only sit about trying not to listen to She who thinks she must be obeyed (full 10 inches shorter so no chance) I can also understand the satisfaction of stripping the "Donna" but its was just anther job that had to be done and it was worth the effort to see Handy's face and the look of disbelief on his face was worth the effort and it is amazing how quickly they fall apart when you take them apart the way they were built and thankfully there was only one bolt that proved to be a problem.

Thanks to all the guys who have commented and I think sometimes it's nice to be nice, I do this day in and day out so its dejavu but it was nice to see the smile on his face that I bet will be there for a week and will be there every time he thinks about it.

Regards All:) :)

Bonzo
26th April 2009, 08:58 AM
Captive nut on the rear sub-frame front mount per chance !!??

That got me on both the cars I stripped. :D

Although thinking about it. You probably left the sub-frame where it was. ;)

It is a good feeling to be in the position of lending a helping hand.

Well done that man. :) :cool:

flyerncle
26th April 2009, 09:23 AM
Ronnie, You will not believe me when I say it was the cap nut holding the rubber cover on the gear lever so I must hold my hands and say I just lost it and yarked it off.

I am a time served mechanic (not a scheme trained " technician",Sorry to the good one's out there) and have a good understanding of most things mechanical and take the least off to the best effect.Rear subframe complete removed, engine,g/box and front suspension all one unit and then split on the ground.
I have a fully kitted comercial garage and bodyshop so it was fairly easy and can understand what a sod of a job it would be otherwise,I sent my man to scrappy to get my donor so was excused that horror story.

Good building one and all and thanks once again for the supporting comments,If I can help I will !

Dont lose sight of the goal !

HandyAndy
26th April 2009, 08:40 PM
the memory of the day will never be forgotten but the main memory is the help & goodwill from Flyerncle that will be with me every time i drive my Roadster,
as per title
A great big thankyou.
cheers
andy:)

Spikehaus
26th April 2009, 10:29 PM
I belive 50 % of the enjoyment of building a Roadster is the talking about it, how u did it and helping others where and when you can. I have so much respect everyone who can build on a limited budget and limited engineering facilities availible.

I am lucky that i have use of my own workshop, but no amount of equipment can replace practical knowledge and bit of experience of how to remove a rusted bolt! Sometimes I wonder how on Scrap Heap Challenge 4 nr people can strip a car, weld up a load of scrap and get the engine running in 10 hours??.

Cobra289
27th April 2009, 10:33 AM
Hello Gents!

It is nice to read that people have such big hart.

I have had the same experience with a Spanish bloke, he did send me [for my son] the gearbox and rear axle, unfortunately the diff is rusted at the bearings, but hey no problem with that.

Only to think that the cost of the DHL pallet shipping, should be around the 170 pounds.
It is unbelievable that just when the world turns to be so corrupt, such guys arise and give the good example.
I think that our hobby hold a bunch of good blokes and I fill it great to participate with them.

In honer to them, "The Good Fellas"

Regards,
Cobra289 [Carlos the Netherlands]

flyerncle
27th April 2009, 05:44 PM
Crying shame that others in power and make decisions for the masses cant take heed.
The rich should remember that without the poor,they are not !