PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Doner...whats it worth after stripping?

zrblue
30th April 2009, 03:05 PM
Hi all,

Im in persuit of a Sierra doner, cheap as possible and hoping to spend sub £500 on one. (on a bit of a side note, using ebay motors to track one down, they dont even list the sierra in the drop down menu...:mad:) Anyhow, after stripping the relevant parts from the doner for the build, (im not using the sierra engine so that would go with the sierra for resale), how much can i expect to make from breaking the car for spares?

Im in a sort of business/finance line of work and i suppose it has made me a bit OCD when it comes to budgeting etc, so really just really looking to offset the cost of buying the doner.

thanks,

Nathan

Bonzo
30th April 2009, 03:43 PM
You should be able to find a donor way, way under £500.

If you are looking via ebay a simple search for "Ford Sierra" will yeild good results. ;)

Your Location may be a bonus !! I see quite a few suitable donors, way up North. To far to travel for a lot of people & sometimes go quite cheap. :)

The Sierra parts seem to common on ebay. I doubt the residual value of the remainder of the donor will be worth a great deal.

1.8CVH & 2 litre engines are not worth a lot unless you know someone who is really in need of one.

If you are lucky enough to find a 2 Litre Pinto donor & the engine is good, you can expect to get a decent price for it . ;)

It is still worth trying to sell some of the parts though. Every penny helps. :D

I paid £100 for my last donor. I sold £130 of parts on Ebay & was paid £50 for the shell at the breakers.

Ps Don't neglect to look in your local free add pages.

RAYLEE29
30th April 2009, 03:44 PM
Hi,
I paid £110 for my donor its a j plate 2.0 dohc estate, personally i wouldnt pay a penny over £200 for a donor and wouldnt expect to get anything for the remains!
In hindsight i would be more careful on the choice of donor so as to be able to use more of it on the build.
Ray

RAYLEE29
30th April 2009, 03:47 PM
hmm looks like you beat me to it Ronnie :)

Jezzer99
30th April 2009, 04:00 PM
Bonzo - what did sell and where did you sell it? I'm just about to start breaking my Sierra and if there's an opportunity to sell bits that I don't need that would be good.

In terms of how much to pay, I think that really depends on what condition the car is in and you need to bear in mind how you're going to get it. I agree that cars without tax/MOT can easily be picked up sub-£200. But if you want/need a car with tax/MOT then you might pay a bit more.

I paid £300 for mine but that was taxed and MOT'd but was 50 miles away from home so being able to drive it meant I didn't accrue any transport costs.

Bonzo
30th April 2009, 04:11 PM
I shouldn't reveal my trade secrets but.........here goes :D :D :D

I was lucky, my donor had quite a few newish parts fitted.

Superchipped ECU £75
Fuel pump & sender assembly £10
Radiator £10
ABS pump & master cylinder assembly £35

All sold on ebay :)

The scrapyard gave me £50 for the cut up shell.

deezee
30th April 2009, 08:43 PM
I paid £200 for my donor (1991 1.8 CVH). But it cost me around £75 to pick it up and get it back to work, where I stripped it. After I took everything off it (EVERYTHING) I skipped the unused parts into the work skip and then some gypsy driving past say the wreck on its roof, and took it off my hands for beer money.... saved me the trouble of getting the shell to a scrappie.

Remember to remove the identity of the vehicle as well.

fabbyglass
30th April 2009, 09:54 PM
Mine is my daily driver/mobile rubbish bin/dust collector and rainy day toy..:o

zrblue
30th April 2009, 10:35 PM
Remember to remove the identity of the vehicle as well.

what do you mean by that? just assume ownership of the car and SORN it?

HandyAndy
30th April 2009, 10:42 PM
what do you mean by that? just assume ownership of the car and SORN it?
what it means is when you strip the donor then take the vin plate off the body aswell as its useful when the time comes for IVA test as it proves the donor parts came from the said vehicle on the paperwork you will have to submit to register/test your completed new car.
hope that makes sense?
cheers
andy

zrblue
30th April 2009, 10:45 PM
what it means is when you strip the donor then take the vin plate off the body aswell as its useful when the time comes for IVA test as it proves the donor parts came from the said vehicle on the paperwork you will have to submit to register/test your completed new car.
hope that makes sense?
cheers
andy

Ah...so the VIN transfers onto the Roadster?

HandyAndy
30th April 2009, 10:49 PM
Ah...so the VIN transfers onto the Roadster?
erm, well kind of, if you want an age related number plate then you have to prove that your car was built with a certain amount of parts sourced from one donor car & having the vin plates helps you prove thats what you have done, along with lots of photos of your build & photos of you stripping the donor etc, you won,t get to use the same reg number of the donor but will get the same year affix that the donor had, ie... G reg sierra = G reg Roadster.

andy

zrblue
30th April 2009, 10:52 PM
erm, well kind of, if you want an age related number plate then you have to prove that your car was built with a certain amount of parts sourced from one donor car & having the vin plates helps you prove thats what you have done, along with lots of photos of your build & photos of you stripping the donor etc, you won,t get to use the same reg number of the donor but will get the same year affix that the donor had, ie... G reg sierra = G reg Roadster.

andy

It seems like an awful lot of hassle to get an age related plate...is there some benefit to be had by having an age related plate over a Q plate?

HandyAndy
30th April 2009, 11:00 PM
ah now thats another subject discussion all on its own, basically if you can prove the origin of your donor parts & engine it makes it easier to get thru the iva test, also helps prove the engine age which then determines the emissions test that your Roadster would have to pass, along with when time comes to have the car mot,d, if the age of donor was pre 1993( i believe) then you won,t need a catalytic converter for emissions etc ( less cost), when you do buy a sierra & strip it then just keep it sorned, do not notify dvla that its scrapped. lots of info available on threads in the donor section of the forum.
hope this explains it a little.
cheers
andy
also some say a Q plate is worth less than age related plate , but thats to each persons opinion.

zrblue
30th April 2009, 11:03 PM
alright, thanks Andy, that clears it up a bit for me...ill read further in the IVA/Doner sections.