PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons of the 2.9 V6 Cosworth?

zrblue
2nd May 2009, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

As above really. Im on the look out for a doner in good nick and i keep finding the Scorpio 2.9 24V V6 Cosworth going at really reasonable prices - only between £50 - £100 more expensive than your average Sierra.

Im really just trying to decide whether to go for this car as a doner or stick with the sierra.

Pros...
200 bhp on tap
V6 Burble
Cosworth cool factor
More or less similar cost to Sierra

Cons...
Auto Gearbox
Not as simple to fit
Bad fuel economy
Could offset handling? (at a guess id say this would be heavy)
Trouble when trying to insure (Will likely be 21 when trying to insure this - 20 just now)

Any help would be great.

les g
2nd May 2009, 11:37 PM
Hi all,

As above really. Im on the look out for a doner in good nick and i keep finding the Scorpio 2.9 24V V6 Cosworth going at really reasonable prices - only between £50 - £100 more expensive than your average Sierra.

Im really just trying to decide whether to go for this car as a doner or stick with the sierra.

Pros...
200 bhp on tap
V6 Burble
Cosworth cool factor
More or less similar cost to Sierra

Cons...
Auto Gearbox
Not as simple to fit
Bad fuel economy
Could offset handling? (at a guess id say this would be heavy)
Trouble when trying to insure (Will likely be 21 when trying to insure this - 20 just now)

Any help would be great.

go for it
you dont have to have an auto box
one of the box,s does.... fit has a longer input shaft etc ( please ask for help ) standard ford
fuel economy .........you are buildinga go faster car its not relevant
handling ......hey they also fit v8s
insurance.......ummmmmm it always seems quite cheep for me .....but then i,m nearly as old as FABBY
cheers les g

flyerncle
3rd May 2009, 10:44 AM
Cant remember who but someone is building a Roadster with Cossie lump so it can be done, I think he is in Scotland aswell.

Good luck.:cool:

fabbyglass
4th May 2009, 01:54 PM
Insurance..now there is a surprise I got a quote for fully comp on a 15 year old YZF750....£148.00 for something that can do 150odd mph..being 44 this year has it's plus sides...:D

And fully Comp on a power valve is a laughable £58....:D :D

les g
4th May 2009, 03:53 PM
Insurance..now there is a surprise I got a quote for fully comp on a 15 year old YZF750....£148.00 for something that can do 150odd mph..being 44 this year has it's plus sides...:D

And fully Comp on a power valve is a laughable £58....:D :D

WTF
i thought only women lied about their age !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fabbyglass
4th May 2009, 04:20 PM
1965 was a good or bad year depending who you are...:o

Bonzo
4th May 2009, 05:42 PM
The two things that scare me about the Cossie engine is

Trying to find one that has not been abused, If it's cheap, probably a good reason why ;)

The cost of engine components . When you find that the bargain you found is a pup. Expect to pay £200+ for a head gasket set :eek: That's before you buy any parts to put the problems right !!??

That said, I would not say no to a mint Cossie engine :D :D

Spikehaus
4th May 2009, 07:36 PM
Go for it mate, I got all the mounts to fit mine from the Stoneleigh Show. Maybe look at starting it over the next Bank Holiday. I met a guy form the Locost Forum who had a Custard coloured Cossie V6 complete with power steering and just about every other item from the original car that had a purpose. Even ABS for a while!

If you had seen it, it would have made your mind up!

les g
4th May 2009, 11:31 PM
1965 was a good or bad year depending who you are...:o

63 was a good year if your mum and dad was shaggin in Hong-Kong
work that one out FABBY
cheers les g

HandyAndy
4th May 2009, 11:35 PM
63 was a good year for me too, ;)
my old man was in the merchant navy too, :eek: :D work that one out Les g & fabby :D
andy

les g
4th May 2009, 11:41 PM
Andy
You,ve Given It Away Now
Cheers Les G

HandyAndy
4th May 2009, 11:44 PM
Andy
You,ve Given It Away Now
Cheers Les G
only jesting,
tho you can tell when my old man was home on leave if you looked at the d.o.b of my four siblings :D :D
andy

les g
4th May 2009, 11:51 PM
only jesting,
tho you can tell when my old man was home on leave if you looked at the d.o.b of my four siblings :D :D
andy

andy were you born in Hong Kong as well then
cheers les g

HandyAndy
4th May 2009, 11:54 PM
andy were you born in Hong Kong as well then
cheers les g
sadly not :( cos if i had have been i,d be there now ;)
born in the uk but travelled a great deal as a youngster cos of my fathers job, then i went & got a similar job travelling the world too.
andy

twinturbo
27th December 2009, 09:21 AM
As for fuel economy, they are better than all but the DOHC most of the time.

My old 24V scorpio Automatic estate could manage 31MPG on a long cruise, and that's a 1.7T Barge!!

The main thing to check is the tensioner blade, sump and timing cover off. Replacements are available from a few sources.

Wiring from a single fusebox car is very very easy.

they do weigh a ton!

And finding an RWD manual gearbox is becoming hard.

TT

degmwilliams
18th January 2010, 08:50 PM
Im using a v6 cosworth boa engine, im quite lucky as my dad has giving me his granada cosworth and i know its a good engine, only done 70000. Iv just bought a capri 2.8 gearbox clutch and flywheel.

Does anyone know if one of the props would fit off either the capri or granada? Iv also got a 2.9 efi xr4x4 so what about the prop on that?

Does anyone have any idea on the speed of a roadster with a v6 cosworth in?

twinturbo
18th January 2010, 09:03 PM
You will need to mod whatever prop you have. You need one with the sliding joint to go in the box.

The granada one is spliend of the old autobox so may fit.

Speed would ultimatly depend on your diff ratio. There's plenty of torque there to see you way way past the point at which your going to be so scared your backing off... A standard cossy with slush box will top out at about 137....

TT

Davey
18th January 2010, 09:24 PM
I'm chucking a 2.9 Cosworth into a sort of roadster, not strictly a Haynes but I'm using the book a lot for inspiration. Picked up a 1990 Granada Scorpio with 8 months MOT and 60K genuine with FSH and ran as sweet as............for just £361. My business neighbour wouldn't talk to me for a week after I gutted it as he's a Cosworth (albeit Sierra) fan and the car was mint but for a buggered slushbox. Got a type 9 g.box for it and going to use the Granny diff and front and rear hubs with an adaptation of the Haynes wishbones plus the Granny's PAS.

Fuel economy, not that it actually matters 'cos as someone else said "you're building a go faster motor" but on the way back from Preston to Telford the on board trip computer was giving an average of 32MPG over the journey at 70MPH...............Oh I love cruise control, might even fit one to the Dragon!

D.