PDA

View Full Version : Towing...

johnfowles
5th May 2009, 09:36 PM
Right,
I

HandyAndy
5th May 2009, 09:45 PM
don,t give your stripped donor to the scrap man if he is an official vehicle recycling operation as if so they would have to inform the DVLA that that car has been scrapped, you don,t want it to be "scrapped" officially as you need the details of said donor to be kept alive on the system for IVA time so that you can prove age of engine etc & also helps if you want an age related number plate.
to get rid of the shell give it to someone that just looks at it as scrap metal & not a scrap car, if that makes sense?
cheers
andy

Bonzo
5th May 2009, 09:47 PM
That's going to be a bit lightweight to do any serious towing.

If memory serves me right, you are only legaly able to tow 750kg unbraked weight.

If you look on your vehicle chassis plate it should give you the maximum gross vehicle weight. This will give you an idea of what you can tow on a braked trailer or dolly. ;)

Most scrap merchants will collect cars for free but some may charge a small fee. Saves the hastle of wrecking your motor. :) :)

HandyAndy
5th May 2009, 09:50 PM
i forgot to mention to keep your donor "sorned", even when its under your work bench in bits, like mine :D
andy

johnfowles
5th May 2009, 10:10 PM
So, correct m

HandyAndy
5th May 2009, 10:33 PM
So, correct me if i'm wrong here, but this is my best option:

1) Find a good donor car
2) Get it insured for 1 day to drive back to garage
3) Strip bits and declare SORN
4) Get an unofficial scrapper to pick it up
5) Once it's built, cancel SORN
6) Pass IVA etc

Do I need to get rid of the SORN once it's built for the records to work on it for the IVA?

Sorry if I'm being very slack.

John
this is how i see the process, as per your list.
1 = correct
2 = correct ( unless you are already covered to drive another vehicle, check with your insurance company.
3 = register the donor in your name, then sorn & strip bits.
4 = correct, or cut it up & take it the scrap to be weighed in as scrap metal, you might get some money for it, BUT don,t forget to cut out the vin plates & keep them safe.
5 = keep it sorned, the process of the iva will cancel out the sorn on that reg number, if you get an age related plate it will not be the same plate as the donor, just the age letter, ie, G reg sierra donor = G reg Roadster
6= ties in with above number 5.
thats how i see the process but could be wrong, happy to be corrected if so.
hope that helps.
andy

MightyMouth
5th May 2009, 10:35 PM
I would be surprised if even an official vehicle scrapper could report a car that has no chassis numbers and no plates but no sense in risking it. I don't think you want to cancel the SORN until you have the new car registered.

johnfowles
5th May 2009, 10:40 PM
So does the

HandyAndy
5th May 2009, 10:48 PM
So does the IVA essentially transfer that Sierra onto a new car? Seems like a very confused system!
in a way yes thats the plan, if they grant you an age related plate they do so by verifying by the info you supply them that you have used a certain amount of parts from a said donor vehicle,
hey.... confused, its the red tape system innit ??? :D
but also it gets more confusing when you either supply your own or they supply you with a chassis number for your kit car, don,t worry it has been done by many so it can be done.;)

andy

johnfowles
5th May 2009, 10:51 PM
Is this th

HandyAndy
5th May 2009, 10:57 PM
Is this the quickest way then? As I'm not bothered about an age specific plate. Not sure if it's 'cool' to have one or not :)

:D now thats a whole new discussion point :eek:
the process of IVA cannot be altered, the point of a Q plate has its plus & minus points depending on how you read into them, :confused:
andy

AshG
6th May 2009, 08:32 AM
i found the best way to get rid of the sierra was a strange angry looking thing with makita on the side and a big 12inch cutting disc in its mouth. it ate up a car in 30mins to about 20 little pieces that were then taken to the metal place

Bonzo
6th May 2009, 09:21 AM
i found the best way to get rid of the sierra was a strange angry looking thing with makita on the side and a big 12inch cutting disc in its mouth. it ate up a car in 30mins to about 20 little pieces that were then taken to the metal place

That is how I got rid if mine.
Cut it up with an air chisel. left the glass in the doors, tailgate left intact & windscreen left in place.
The scrap merchant was also happy to let me include the interior. ;) ;)

Just make sure that you let the scrap dealer know what you are doing & why. They will understand :)

Oh, nearly forgot to mention, I was given £50 for the remains of the donor. :D

dogwood
6th May 2009, 09:31 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned but.

Take off the VIN plate under the bonnet.
Cut out the chassis number, (Usualy under the carpet drivers side)
Keep the log book, You'll need it for the registration etc.

The rest you can do what you like with as you have all the identifying parts.

HTH David

davidimurray
6th May 2009, 10:21 AM
My one and only real reason for going for an age-related plate is the emissions test. If you get a car that is pre-92? The emission tests should be quite easy to pass compared to the extremely tight modern standards. This emission criteria stays with the car - so when you chuck your Bugatti Veyron W12 in the front, you should easily pass the test :p

Cheers

Dave