PDA

View Full Version : Rear subframe bushing problem

michmark
9th May 2009, 04:32 AM
I am stripping out a Merkur XR4Ti (the Sierra in the US) and have run into a problem. The 19mm head bolt that goes through the large rubber mounting donut has rusted thoroughly to the metal sleeve that runs inside the rubber. To compound the issue, the captive nut is no longer captive and the bolt, sleeve and nut spin around without loosening. Cutting the head off of the bolt relieved some frustration on my part but did nothing to let the subframe drop down from the body.

Any suggestions for how to attack this?

Mark Bates

jasongray5
9th May 2009, 05:22 AM
perhaps cutting around the mount (thus creating a hole in the chassis) then sorting it out when its on the floor?

MightyMouth
9th May 2009, 08:55 AM
oxy-acetylene?

Tilly819
9th May 2009, 01:26 PM
Iff in doubt, get the angle grinder out......... hey that even rhymes teehee

flyerncle
9th May 2009, 06:43 PM
BFI,brute force and ignorance. The suggestion of hole in chassis makes the most sense as you could possibly remove the cap nut,if not attempt to cut sleeve and bolt between frame and chassis.

Good Luck.

michmark
11th May 2009, 02:58 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have also thought of using my propane torch (I don't have Oxy-acetylene) to burn out the rubber bushing. Probably will be messy and toxic so this will be the last desperate attempt.

Mark Bates

RAYLEE29
11th May 2009, 09:29 AM
Hi, just a thought, do you actually need to remove the subframe? I have taken out my diff and driveshafts and soon to be taking out hubs but leaving subframe in.
Ray:)

flyerncle
11th May 2009, 07:49 PM
Dont forget to loosen the hub nuts first!

Bonzo
11th May 2009, 08:29 PM
Dont forget to loosen the hub nuts first!

:D :D

Who would do a silly thing like that. :o :o

aaronbassett
11th May 2009, 09:51 PM
:D :D

Who would do a silly thing like that. :o :o

me lol ash would vow for me. i took my rear sub frame off with out undoing the 41mm hub nuts

Bonzo
11th May 2009, 09:58 PM
Me too :o

That was after advising other people not to forget to do it :rolleyes:

My excuse is age related :D :D

aaronbassett
11th May 2009, 10:37 PM
halfords did not have the right size socket that was my excuse. so i thought ill take the whole assembly out..

if u cant get a 41mm socket you can get a 40mm socket on it. I made a y shaped tool up in the end and a long pole on it and breaker bar

lesson learnt hehe

flyerncle
12th May 2009, 06:08 PM
It was less hassle to drop the lot on to an oil drum and then split it later (read Handy Andy split it later) than to remove bits required. The front was done in the same manner complete with legs,subframe,engine and box.
Then removed from the frame and box taken off the engine so convienient to man handle,I will admit the workshop is a commercial one so cant take all the credit,but it made life a lot easier.

HandyAndy
12th May 2009, 06:13 PM
It was less hassle to drop the lot on to an oil drum and then split it later (read Handy Andy split it later) than to remove bits required. The front was done in the same manner complete with legs,subframe,engine and box.
Then removed from the frame and box taken off the engine so convienient to man handle,I will admit the workshop is a commercial one so cant take all the credit,but it made life a lot easier.

and i can take no credit at all ;) ;)
its amazing how parts just seem to end up in back of my van, it was like the "angel mechanic of the north" ;) :D

andy

flyerncle
12th May 2009, 06:22 PM
You spelt mechanic wrong,its mainiac ! Definately not angelic and much further south and warmer.

HandyAndy
12th May 2009, 06:28 PM
You spelt mechanic wrong,its mainiac ! Definately not angelic and much further south and warmer.
either i took the wrong route but i,m sure i drove past the rusty statue to get to you?:confused:
all i can say is " i was amazed how quickly the donor was stripped, tight nuts an all".:cool:

cheers
Andy