PDA

View Full Version : Things to do whist in the U.K

Makila 2A
12th May 2009, 05:24 PM
Good afternoon Gentlemen.

I'm currently in your fine country doing a few days work (Aberdeen to be specific). On Friday however, I'm heading down to London with a colleague for a bit of R&R. The current plan is to hire a car and head to Weston-super-Mare to check out the helicopter museum. Then back along the coast, making our way up the Duxford to see the Imperial War Museum. Once that is done I plan on doing a track day somewhere and then head back into London for a look around.
Were planning a few days to do the lap round to Duxford, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what we should or shouldn't see or do on the way around.

Mant thanks in advance
Cheers, Matt

Bonzo
12th May 2009, 05:55 PM
If you are coming all the way down to Weston-super-mare, perhaps you should think about a visit to the Haynes Museum, this is also in Somerset ;) http://www.haynesmotormuseum.com/home/index.html

There are some prehistoric caves at " Cheddar gorge " Also in Somerset http://www.cheddarcaves.co.uk/

If you are heading down the west coast back to london & like to take in some sights & views, There is some outstanding, Jurassic coastline in Dorset http://www.jurassiccoast.com/

Makila 2A
12th May 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks Ronnie,
That's just the stuff I'm after!
Cheers, Matt

slimtater
12th May 2009, 08:45 PM
I should have asked you what to do when I go to Perth in July!

Makila 2A
12th May 2009, 08:53 PM
Mate, if you're heading to Perth in July I'll drop you a P.M with a swag of stuff to do. Are you heading down for a quick trip or are you staying a while?

Bonzo
12th May 2009, 08:53 PM
You are most welcome Matt

I hope you enjoy your stay in the UK :)

Remember working in Essex once quite close to Duxford, I didn't know at the time that the war museum signs that i saw, were for the actual Imperial War Museum :eek:

I was well gutted :( It is a place I would love to visit

slimtater
12th May 2009, 09:00 PM
No, just a short trip - 6 weeks! ;)
Staying with rels in Kingsley and Yanchep. Got a trip down south taking in Mandurah and Margaret River for about 5 days (including Bushtucker wine tour!). Then got a road trip up north doing places like Monkey Mia, Coral Bay and as far as Exmouth. All the usual detours for the Pinnacles and Blowholes. That's taken care of another 2 weeks.
Third time I have been. The first time in 1996, we landed, 1 hour later we were at a Greek wedding rehersal, 2 hours later in an Irish bar in Northbridge drinking Guiness, followed by the Hippy Club, followed by 3am supper at Peters by the Sea. All this on the first night. :eek:
I love the place!

Bonzo
12th May 2009, 09:09 PM
I forgot to mention this place if you find yourself in hampshire on the way back to London.

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/ipus/beaulieu/index

Beaulieu , right in the heart of the New Forrest :) :)

HandyAndy
12th May 2009, 09:17 PM
Australia is a great place, i used to spend 3 months or so based in Sydney working on cruise ships, spent lots of time in the "orient bar", Hic :D close enough to make it to the ship before it sailed:eek:

andy
ps my aunt was a flying doctor for most of 70,s & 80,s based in Darwin.

Spikehaus
12th May 2009, 10:04 PM
'Beaulieu , right in the heart of the New Forrest'

I highly recommend this, but I have also heard the the prototype yellow Roadster is having long earned rest at Haynes, also a great afternoon out. I bet it stands out agaist all the Red Ferrari's! Enjoy u trip, I jealuse. I'm stuck in a crappy office.

Oh, if u at Haynes the Fleet Air Arm Museam is only 10 mins away! What a perfect day! I did this after the last Electric Car Club Meeting.

fabbyglass
12th May 2009, 10:09 PM
Go to London to Downing street and take part in a good old fashioned English game of..."egg chucking" but make sure you hit the ugliest dork you can see wearing suit/skirt...:rolleyes:

Bonzo
12th May 2009, 10:32 PM
Go to London to Downing street and take part in a good old fashioned English game of..."egg chucking" but make sure you hit the ugliest dork you can see wearing suit/skirt...:rolleyes:

Preferably the Transport minister :D

Don't foget to claim your second country expenses :eek:

flyerncle
13th May 2009, 05:33 PM
Duxford is ace if you are into aviation Ronnie,if you get the chance you should go.
The original Concord is there and many others too.

fabbyglass
13th May 2009, 06:02 PM
If it's things that fly then go to Yeovil fleet air arm moooosium...weirdy things with bonkers props that spin all too wonky...:confused:

Then there is always the biggest car park in the UK....The M25..:D

Bonzo
13th May 2009, 07:27 PM
Duxford is ace if you are into aviation Ronnie,if you get the chance you should go.
The original Concord is there and many others too.

Duxford is definately on my to do list. ;)

Mark
I have done the fleet air arm jobby & do RNSA Cauldrose air day every year. :D

The wife is not very interested in cars but for some reason loves planes & bikes :confused: :rolleyes:

Makila 2A
14th May 2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys, that has been a great help. All the places suggested fall conveniently into the route we were planning and have been slotted in. When I'm back in OZ, I'll let you all know how it went.

Thanks again.
Cheers, Matt

flyerncle
14th May 2009, 06:18 PM
If you ever get to the far North Ronnie, I'll take you both up and you can see the sights of sunny Tyneside.

Bonzo
14th May 2009, 08:04 PM
If I ever venture up as far as the cobbled roads of Gateshead i'll be sure to give you a shout. :)

I am very easy to please. Into most things. Museums, landscapes, old churches, industrial heritige. The list is endless really ;)

I don't do amusement parks though. :eek:
Number one son can frighten the crap out of me in his scooby for free !!?? :D