PDA

View Full Version : toyota engine fitment

onedayTM
12th May 2009, 10:31 PM
Hi guys,
anyone thinking of or fitted toyota 3g engine,if so what gearbox choices are available?
cheers,
tm

fabbyglass
13th May 2009, 02:11 PM
Can be fitted to the Type 9 i think but not sure if it needs an adapter or just plops straight on. Have at look at Raw Striker website as they do package deals on them.

deezee
13th May 2009, 02:33 PM
The Toyota 3SGE or 3SGTE (MK2 MR2 and Gen 6 Celica) can bolt onto Early Lexus gearboxes, or if you have a machine shop, a T5. The Raw Striker people deal with the 4AGE, which was a corolla and MK1 MR2 engine. They do the RWD conversion kit for about £400, to mate it up to a type 9. But it will need more than that to fully convert it.

onedayTM
13th May 2009, 07:21 PM
cheers guys, thanks for info.
tm

Chris_
17th May 2009, 10:35 PM
This (http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/8422/4age.htm) might come in useful.
Its aimed at the 4A but theres some usefull bits in there.

Chris

Kiwi car
2nd June 2009, 10:10 AM
Have been looking into a 3sge myself still waiting for a good donnor try looking at this web site it might help http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/7177/3sgetransplant.html
Cheers Steve:D

niallyc
15th January 2010, 02:47 PM
Any luck with this?

I'm looking at using a 3sge also and am trying to find a company that sells belhousings to mate to a type 9 gearbox.

mark
17th January 2010, 10:27 PM
The 3sge is a very tall engine and sits at an angle in the celicas because of this so i think they would be a pain to fit in a seven style car

Its a shame because after owning a few celicas i really like these engines but after looking into it they are too tall to use in my opinion, unless you have the sump scraping the road and a huge bonnet scoop and sit on a booster cusion :D

niallyc
19th January 2010, 09:41 AM
The 3sge is a very tall engine and sits at an angle in the celicas because of this so i think they would be a pain to fit in a seven style car

Its a shame because after owning a few celicas i really like these engines but after looking into it they are too tall to use in my opinion, unless you have the sump scraping the road and a huge bonnet scoop and sit on a booster cusion :D

Fair enough. It looks like it will have to be a ford engine so. That's a big commitment for a japanese engine fan! :)

deezee
19th January 2010, 11:00 AM

I've had a look at my 3SGTE engine in my MR2 and its not that big. Its no bigger than the RS2000 engine I've squeezed into my chassis. Once you strip all the crap off it its quite nice. You can read up some guys build diary (http://www.billzilla.org/fraser.htm) of his install of a 3SGE in a lotus 7 style chassis.

mark
19th January 2010, 02:06 PM
I must admit i was talking about n/a motors with the inlet manifold still on which ends up very tall indeed

As you rightly say the turbo 3sgte isnt that tall and thats because it has a different inlet manifold arrangement

Dont want to put anyone off doing it and im not saying it cant be done :o but i too was a massive jap fan and wanted a jap engine but after weighing up the pros and cons of dimensions,cost, gearbox and weight i opted out of using one for something more simple and cost effective, if i were to go toyota it would be a 4age engine as its quite a light engine with a good power output for its size

Ford (2lt zetec) is the cheapest way of achieving what i ultimately want and is achievable on a sensible budget.

niallyc
19th January 2010, 10:42 PM
I must admit i was talking about n/a motors with the inlet manifold still on which ends up very tall indeed

As you rightly say the turbo 3sgte isnt that tall and thats because it has a different inlet manifold arrangement

Dont want to put anyone off doing it and im not saying it cant be done :o but i too was a massive jap fan and wanted a jap engine but after weighing up the pros and cons of dimensions,cost, gearbox and weight i opted out of using one for something more simple and cost effective, if i were to go toyota it would be a 4age engine as its quite a light engine with a good power output for its size

Ford (2lt zetec) is the cheapest way of achieving what i ultimately want and is achievable on a sensible budget.

I agree. It would be nice to have something different but it is easier to fit the ford unit. I'll have to search the threads to see what donor is the best for getting a 2.0 zetec. On a similar note, I think I am becomming obsessed with the idea of an individual throttle body set up on the zetec!:D

7ishNZ
2nd May 2011, 07:39 AM
I am just starting a re-power of my Haynes with a gen 4 3sgte motor and 6 speed altezza box.
So far it looks like the gearbox will fit into the chassis without any tubes being trimmed. Also, the motor will fit under the bonnet without needing to put a bulge in it.

The sump is a tin item from a gen 3, with a 5sge oilpump ( built in relief valve). I will need to chop about 1 1/2" from the sump, but there is plenty of width to make the sump wider.

The inlet manifold will need a trim as well.

http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/download/file.php?id=591

http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/download/file.php?id=502