PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack supports

chriseyj
29th June 2009, 07:08 PM
Hi just a quick question.
Should the steering rack supports cp19 & cp20 be 285mm apart or 288mm.
The book states the mounting hole centres should be 258mm apart but if you add the differece from either side to this, 30mm you get 288mm from edge to edge, not 285mm.

Have seen this asked before but didn't see a definate answer.

Thanks Chris

HandyAndy
29th June 2009, 07:24 PM
they need to be placed so that they are lined up with your steering column & also so that the column goes thru the bearing support plate (CP16) centrally, hope that makes sense??? :eek: ;)

andy

HandyAndy
29th June 2009, 07:26 PM
DOH, silly me :o :o i thought we were talking about the steering WHEEL supports CP15,s.. sooooorrrry :D

long day & an all that.

andy

HandyAndy
29th June 2009, 07:31 PM
right i,ll try again :o

if i remember correctly, when i welded in these plates i had a few mm over which i think came from the measurement 288mm,
so if you have your steering rack available make sure the rack fits into the support & that you can get the fixing bolts thru, i had to widen the slots a little & grind a bit off the edge of the supports to make it fit snugly.

hope thats better info than my first attemp, :eek: :D

andy

Spikehaus
29th June 2009, 07:37 PM
Have you done a search for the book ammendments, I sure Chris did a new drawing for this. The only problem I remember was the angles not add up. I did not check the whole centres, but the plates can only be the same distance apart as the diagonal brace.

chriseyj
29th June 2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for your reply, I haven't got a rack yet which is a bit of a pain else I'd of measured between the mounting holes. The diagonal brace cp21 that goes between them is 228 I noticed, if you add 60mm, the width of both cp19 & cp20 plates, you would also get an edge to edge width of 288mm.
Looks like the book migth be wrong and it should be 288mm, guess i'll be repositioning them tomorrow.

chriseyj
29th June 2009, 07:41 PM
Spikhaus, was yours ok using the standard brace width of 228 on the diagonal?

P.S the steel bush inner tubes I bought from you were great.

Spikehaus
29th June 2009, 07:48 PM
Looks like we all tumble on the same mistakes, maybe I will compile a list of common mistakes for the new builders to use as check list. Its all part of the learning curve and building what is a new an improved chassis. I will add this dimension to my book that now has some much pen and grinding dust on, I can hardly see the drawings.:D

Still, I also hold it as my build Bible as it has given a lot of pleasure and consumed my life for the last year. Maybe one day I will get round to reading it. By trade, drawings and NBS spec are everything!

chriseyj
29th June 2009, 07:51 PM
I take it you agree they should probably be 288mm apart? glad i only tacked them lightly on one side.

Spikehaus
29th June 2009, 08:00 PM
I almost postive this is correct. I am going to have to go and calulate the geometry now or I will not sleep tonight!

Spikhaus, was yours ok using the standard brace width of 228 on the diagonal?

P.S the steel bush inner tubes I bought from you were great.

HandyAndy
29th June 2009, 08:00 PM
if you can hang on till tomorrow i,ll check the measurement of mine, i can,t remember if 288mm is too wide which is why i had to grind a bit off each support to make the rack fit & keep it central.
sorry but my chassis isn,t at my home.

andy

HandyAndy
29th June 2009, 08:06 PM
I almost postive this is correct, but do not have my car here to measure it. I have found another error on page 177 CP21. I think the 228 mm dim should read 225 mm. Then when you add the 2 x 30 mm width of the 2 plates, its adds up. I am going to have to go and calulate the geometry now or I will not sleep tonight!

that is the reason my rack didn,t fit at first, as it caused the CP19 & cp20 to be too wide.

can check tomorrow for you.

andy

chriseyj
29th June 2009, 08:11 PM
I've packed up for tonight thanks Andy so if you can find out by tomorrow that would be great. Might have another crack when I get back from work tomo.

Thanks Chris.

HandyAndy
29th June 2009, 08:20 PM
no prob, will measure it in the morning & put post up as soon as i get home, ( approx 2pm)

i do remember that this annoyed me a little as i made it spot on ( as per book) but it didn,t fit the rack. :rolleyes: :D

cheers
andy

deezee
29th June 2009, 08:30 PM
I've just spent my Sunday grinding off the old steering rack supports, because they were too close (my mistake as much as anything). I now have the 2 x 30mm plates a little further apart than the book dims, and it seems to fit much better.

The second time around I had the luxury of the rack to hand. So I just made it to suit the rack. Easy peasy.

HandyAndy
30th June 2009, 02:45 PM
got the measurements from my rack supports as promised.

288mm from outer edges of supports
230mm from inner edges of supports

so it appears that my supports are now 29mm wide instead of 30mm plate, as said i had to grind off a little on each OUTER edge to let the lugs/bracket part of the rack fittings sit flush with the CP19 CP20,

i also think it had something to do with the welds on the rack itself, so it is easier if you have the rack to aid the final placing of the supports.

hope this helps.:)

andy

chriseyj
30th June 2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks for checking for me i really appreciate it. What would you reccommend then do you think the plates should be 288mm from one side to another? instead of 285, did the mounting holes for your rack line up ok then at 258 but not the edges. Thanks Chris.

filip arvidsson
6th June 2010, 09:27 PM
When I place the rack on the supports it seems like I would have to grind of a couple of mm from the brackets width to get the rubber supports to fit, is this common?
//Filip Arvidsson

Joelove
15th October 2012, 07:38 AM
I have also had this problem! The measurements are wrong! I went to the outer edge measurement as this was easiest to measure and work to. But if you think about it the plates are 30mm wide so centre holes are 15mm in, take this(15mm either side) from the outer measurement(285mm) it does not give you 258mm! It's gives you 255! I presume the measurement of the rack is 258mm? Things like the really annoy me as you don't know it's wrong until you have done the work then scratched ya head for hours and remeasured your work time and time again!! Glad I didn't pay for the book!