PDA

View Full Version : Riveting Floor

chriseyj
1st July 2009, 04:39 PM
Hi I've been reading what types of rivet to use on an alloy floor and get the impression sealed aluminium ones are probably best, thought about stainless ones but then read about galvanic corrosion problems.

Also can anyone reccommend what size I should use to fix an alloy floor and what spacing I should place them.

Am kind of new to rivetting.

Thanks

deezee
1st July 2009, 05:43 PM
Hi I've been reading what types of rivet to use on an alloy floor and get the impression sealed aluminium ones are probably best, thought about stainless ones but then read about galvanic corrosion problems.

Also can anyone reccommend what size I should use to fix an alloy floor and what spacing I should place them.

Am kind of new to rivetting.

Thanks

I think (I've written it down somewhere) I'm going to use 4mm x 9.5mm (grip range 3.5mm - 5mm) closed aluminium pop rivets at 40mm spacings for my floor.

chriseyj
1st July 2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the reply, that sounds good to me. What thinkness aluminium are you using. I was going to use 1.6 do you think I'd need rivets with a smaller grip range. 1.6mm alloy + 1.6mm box section = 3.2mm think in total.

AshG
1st July 2009, 06:41 PM
i have done a 1.5mm ali floor with 3.2x12mm grippa sealed rivets

these will do the job

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40859/Fixings/Blind-Rivets/Grippa-Dome-Head-Sealed-Rivets-3-2-x-12-5mm-Pack-of-1000

also dont forget if you are doing ali sides that is an extra piece of material to go through on the bottom rails

deezee
1st July 2009, 07:39 PM
What thinkness aluminium are you using.

I've used 2mm aluminium (5000 series) and my box section is 2mm wall as well. So thats 4mm. Ideal for 9.5mm rivets. Google rivets. Loads of website list good info on ideal grip ranges and applications for rivets.

Tilly819
1st July 2009, 10:16 PM
I used 1/8th alluminium pop riv's at a 2 inch pitch

Tilly

chriseyj
2nd July 2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info might get the screwfix ones.

When using an alloy floor and sides should you rivet the 2 at the same time? or can i fix the floor at 2 inch spacing and fix the sides between at a later date, or will this weakon the rails?

I have 1.5mm box secting and am hoping to get 1.6mm alloy sounds like the screw fix ones should do at 12mm.

Sorry with all the questions but did everyone close up the transmission tunnel from underneath? I can't get the floor in the car as one piece so was going to do a drivers and passenger side.

Cheers

deezee
2nd July 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the info might get the screwfix ones.

When using an alloy floor and sides should you rivet the 2 at the same time? or can i fix the floor at 2 inch spacing and fix the sides between at a later date, or will this weakon the rails?

I have 1.5mm box secting and am hoping to get 1.6mm alloy sounds like the screw fix ones should do at 12mm.

Sorry with all the questions but did everyone close up the transmission tunnel from underneath? I can't get the floor in the car as one piece so was going to do a drivers and passenger side.

Cheers

You do the floor, then the sides at a later date. I would consider getting thicker aluminium. I'd have a search on the forum. I believe 1.6mm is ok for a steel floor, but 2mm is recommended for an aluminium floor.

I couldn't get big sheets of aluminium for the floor, so I'm doing 2 separate panels for drivers and passenger floor. Then I'll rivnut a panel underneath the tranny tunnel at a later date.

chriseyj
2nd July 2009, 04:26 PM
I was thinking of having a removable centre piece, might need something to prevent vibration.
I have been looking today and I think 8mm to 10mm rivets might offer the best grip range, those 12.5 ones from screwfix are readily available but not sure if they pull down on 3mm.

Cheers

Chris_
2nd July 2009, 08:18 PM
Dont forget a nice gob of sealer on every rivet before it goes into the floor.
My favourite way is to cut the end of the sealer nozzle slightly bigger than the rivet, pump up so the nozzle is full of sealer and simply stick the rivet into the end of the nozzle before you put it in the hole. That way the irvet is nicely coated and when you pull them up it squeezes out just a little.
Chris

HandyAndy
2nd July 2009, 08:56 PM
I was thinking of having a removable centre piece,
Cheers

i thought the same but then realised that if i need to do any maintenance in the tunnel then the car would have to be raised quite high, so as the car is so low to start with i,ve decided to have a removeable top part of the tunnel within the cockpit, secured with rivnuts.
just an idea that may help in the future ;) :)

cheers
andy

chriseyj
2nd July 2009, 10:05 PM
Cheers Andy I was going to make the top of the tunnel removable as well. I get your point, part of me was thinking will I ever need to take a bottom tunnel cover off.

HandyAndy
2nd July 2009, 10:12 PM
well the way i look at this is.....
if you can gain access from above then you may as well cover the bottom of the tunnel as 1 piece with your seat flooring, neater too.
thats what i,m doing tho everyone i,m sure have their own reasons for either way.
cheers

andy

chriseyj
2nd July 2009, 11:09 PM
Just wondering Andy what size rivets are you planning on using or are you using a steel floor?

HandyAndy
2nd July 2009, 11:17 PM
i,m using the same as Ash G suggested in his post, from screwfix.
i,m doing an ali floor & cockpit , with the underside of car where tunnel is completely covered in for the reasons i gave earlier, also being fully covered or more the case that the floor is 1 piece creates a little more strength/rigidity of the floor, in my opinion of course, :D ;)

andy

chriseyj
2nd July 2009, 11:25 PM
Do you think those rivets will pull down onto the 3mm that is the floor and box section? If so I think I'll get some of those rivets as well.

HandyAndy
2nd July 2009, 11:39 PM
yes i think they will, to be totally honest here, having met Ash G & knowing his technical know how etc i trust his advice totally (Ash :p ) , i,m not a mechanically minded person & had the same concerns of "depth" of the hold on the rivets at that length, maybe Ash will respond with his findings from fitting his ali.
if in doubt try a test piece with different length rivets, i,m sure screw fix etc can let you have a couple of each to test & then place an order.

andy

HandyAndy
2nd July 2009, 11:47 PM
Do you think those rivets will pull down onto the 3mm that is the floor and box section? If so I think I'll get some of those rivets as well.

just a quick note,
i suppose it also depends on what thickness ali you finally decide on, Ash G has used 1.5mm ali but you were thinking 1.6mm so maybe worth a test as suggested or even a little countersunk for each rivet to make sure it pulls tight,
last resort being get slightly longer rivets, screwfix have a good stock of various lengths all around the same price.

andy

AshG
3rd July 2009, 12:59 AM
yes i think they will, to be totally honest here, having met Ash G & knowing his technical know how etc i trust his advice totally (Ash :p ) , i,m not a mechanically minded person & had the same concerns of "depth" of the hold on the rivets at that length, maybe Ash will respond with his findings from fitting his ali.
if in doubt try a test piece with different length rivets, i,m sure screw fix etc can let you have a couple of each to test & then place an order.

andy

crazy fool. i just make it all up as i go along :D

i have used a few already testing my shiney new air powered rivet gun and they hold 2 bits of 1.5mm ali together fine.

im going to rivet my sides and floor on at the same time. i purchased 60 clecos to hold the pannels in place while i pre drill all the rivet holes then i will put the tiger seal on and rivet down.

HandyAndy
3rd July 2009, 01:03 AM
crazy fool. i just make it all up as i go along

i have used a few already testing my shiney new air powered rivet gun and they hold 2 bits of 1.5mm ali together fine.

im going to rivet my sides and floor on at the same time. i purchased 60 clecos to hold the pannels in place while i pre drill all the rivet holes then i will put the tiger seal on and rivet down.

:D :D
well if my floor falls off i,m coming looking for you !!!! :D :eek:

andy

flyerncle
3rd July 2009, 03:48 PM
Ash,Where can you get cleco's from,asked the local Cling On dealer and he just looked blank.

Cheers.

Jezzer99
3rd July 2009, 04:54 PM
I bought my cleco kit from Car Builder Solutions.

Beardy_John
3rd July 2009, 09:03 PM
I've always found it strange that places spec rivets by overall length, when the only useful dimension is its grip range :mad: :eek: At work we use Avdel Linky (http://www.avdel-global.com/en/products/breakstem-fasteners.html) or Fitlock Linky (http://www.fitlocksystems.com/rivets.html)
both provide excellent info on different rivets,strength and usage. Luckily, when I have a chassis to rivet a floor to I'm sure I'll be able to find a few laying around :):)

AshG
5th July 2009, 11:52 AM
i got my clecos from las aerospace. think they are about 35p each from memory

http://www.lasaero.com/

AshG
5th July 2009, 11:54 AM
here you go

link for pliers http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/article?id=F03KPM95H

link for clecos http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/article?id=O0273HUC5

AshG
5th July 2009, 11:54 AM
1/8 is 3.2mm

AshG
5th July 2009, 12:01 PM
By the way car builder solutions are robbers £32.20 including delivery and vat for a pair of pliers and 10 clecos

from las you can get 60 clecos and a pair of pliers for £33.45 delivered inc vat.

it helps being into planes and cars :D

Peter-C
8th January 2010, 12:58 PM
Will these rivets do for the floor. 2mm ali floor to 1.6mm square tube.

http://www.rivetwise.co.uk/productrange/rivetdetails.asp?partNo=AK46SB

Cheers

Peter

dogwood
8th January 2010, 01:14 PM
I'm just sorting an order out with lasaero for some clecos
I use 4mm and 5mm rivits.
What's that in old money?

Ta..:D

flyerncle
8th January 2010, 01:19 PM
£1 11s and sixpence :p

And rivet has an E in it

dogwood
8th January 2010, 01:25 PM
ooops....:D
Rivet.

flyerncle
8th January 2010, 01:31 PM
So long as it's not the Golden one !!!!!!!:eek:

HandyAndy
8th January 2010, 01:33 PM

well David is an ex seafarer like me:eek: :D :D

andy

dogwood
8th January 2010, 01:34 PM

Yea, never did find it...:eek: :D

flyerncle
8th January 2010, 01:36 PM
I knew that and reason for reply was .....:rolleyes:

got no work/car building to do Andy .

And before you say a word,eveything that needed to be done is and now I am off to see me mum !

"Yea, never did find it... " Luck then...

dogwood
8th January 2010, 01:40 PM
Lucky for my bot bot:rolleyes:

HandyAndy
8th January 2010, 01:44 PM
got no work/car building to do Andy .

i,m havin a FAG .....i mean a ciggy & a cuppa :D :D

andy

ps...David.... i NEVER went looking for that rivet :D

flyerncle
8th January 2010, 09:10 PM
I knew what you meant !
On the floor theme is it not going to create problems fitting the side panels over the already riveted floor.