PDA

View Full Version : BMW engine 1.9 from a z3

james83mills
4th July 2009, 01:42 PM
I've been offered a 1.9 petrol from a mates Z3, he says it has all the ancillaries starter, flywheel, wiring harness ECU etc etc and has only done 60,000. I don't have the space for a donor vehicle so i was just going to buy the bits i need as i need them for a sierra build. can i use this engine with sierra running gear if any one has any thoughts then please let me know

kind regards James

jasongray5
4th July 2009, 05:59 PM
Provided you can get the engine to run, and the gearbox output turns clockwise as you look at it, it should be fine...!

Chris_
4th July 2009, 06:25 PM
Have to have a good measure up. If your lucky you might be able to squeeze the box in as well, then you just need a custom prop to join it to the diff. Otherwise u'll have to start looking round for some sort of adapter plate or bell housing for the ford type 9.
Chris

les g
4th July 2009, 11:31 PM
what a tasty idea for a build
i like the sound of that a lot
cheers les g

AshG
4th July 2009, 11:36 PM
i have seen a honda s2000 lump and gearbox in an indy so that should fit fine.

james83mills
5th July 2009, 10:15 AM
Provided you can get the engine to run, and the gearbox output turns clockwise as you look at it, it should be fine...!

i dont have the gear box :( should i seek a bmw one or try and get and adapter for a ford type 9

mark
5th July 2009, 10:37 AM
Having owned several bmw personally i would prefer to use the bmw gearbox for that engine as they are so smooth and reliable. :cool:

The only problem is they are considerably larger than a ford type 9. As people have already said it should fit but it will need alterations to the tunnel which will intrude on interior space.

I originally wanted to go down this route but i need as much space as poss in the car as im 6ft 4. Also didnt wanna have to figure out all that wiring and fit a cat.

But it will be possible with a bit of work and im sure there is enough knowledge and experience on this forum to help you through and obstacles you would come across.

Longerr
5th July 2009, 12:13 PM
We used BMW 1.8L engine from 318ti, there was no problem to fit there the transmission we used from that bmw as well, but we made the "cockpit" symmetrical and we have RHD car

rmccomiskie
5th July 2009, 06:01 PM
We used BMW 1.8L engine from 318ti, there was no problem to fit there the transmission we used from that bmw as well, but we made the "cockpit" symmetrical and we have RHD car

Umm! I thought your Dad's car was LHD.

Longerr
5th July 2009, 08:23 PM
Umm! I thought your Dad's car was LHD.

:D I mixed it up!!! of course it is LHD :D

Chris_
6th July 2009, 07:39 PM
By preference i would go with a BMW box if possibly.
The 1.9, is that the M44 engine? i seem to remember the box for that being fairly compact. With the lever quite far back aswell so no reaching forward to change gear.

Chris

Chris_
7th July 2009, 01:17 PM
You could try emailing this fella, see if he'll run a tape over it and compare to some typw 9 measurements.

Chris

james83mills
7th July 2009, 03:33 PM
By preference i would go with a BMW box if possibly.
The 1.9, is that the M44 engine? i seem to remember the box for that being fairly compact. With the lever quite far back aswell so no reaching forward to change gear.

Chris

yeah it is the m44

james83mills
7th July 2009, 03:34 PM
You could try emailing this fella, see if he'll run a tape over it and compare to some typw 9 measurements.

Chris

emailing what fella

graeme.webb1@ntlworld.com
12th December 2009, 04:02 PM

When you say you made the cockpit symetrical do you mean the transmission tunnel and what dimmention did you use. The 174 or 234? I am using an e36 518 donor

LeonN
12th December 2009, 05:25 PM
As fare as I am aware the m44b19 is just a skroked m44b18. The engion fits as I am youesing an m42b18. The m42 had forged inturnals witch thay droped for the m44 and also redisigned the intake manifold. I also am prittey dam shaw that I have a sparre box at home that shuld go on both m44 and m42 bell housings. I can check first but PM me if you are after it. As regard the box fitting. I have made my drivers futwell the same size as my pasanger with has alawed the box to fit.
It is all posable.

Chris_
15th December 2009, 07:10 PM
emailing what fella

I dont remember :( :D (I think it was an ebay link)

Aside from which, yes the M44 in the Z3 is the same block as the M42 from the E30/E36 318is just storked a little i believe but may be bored as well.

Incedentally, a lot of BMW people have had good success turbo and supercharging :D Just an idea for the future.

Chris