PDA

View Full Version : chassis metal

james83mills
6th July 2009, 04:56 PM
as you may have noticed i'm being cheap when comes to my build, so far it has cost me a grand total of £30 quid and that was for some of the wood to build my chassis on. i've managed to get everything else for free, and that includes the metal for my chassis, the 25 x 25 is fine but i've just checked what i thought was the 19 x 19 but it is in fact 20 x 20 will this make much difference to the build. i know that i will need to adjust the build by a couple millimetres can anyone else think of any other problems

gus
6th July 2009, 05:21 PM
Shouldn't make any difference as it is only used for braces & tranny tunnel.

Wouldn't have thought you'd even notice any dimensional differences.

Mark

geeman
6th July 2009, 05:24 PM
hi, this has been discussed before and i think people came to the conclusion that its fine to use 20mm as sometimes metal retailer may advertise some boxsection as 3/4in(but you will actually get 20mm) as i think 20mm is more readily found than 19mm. I for one am using 20mm as well and so have others i think, so there shouldt be a problem.

Chris Gibbs
6th July 2009, 05:28 PM
It's fine.

Cheers

Chris :)

james83mills
6th July 2009, 05:46 PM
thanks everyone

HandyAndy
6th July 2009, 05:55 PM
by the sounds of it, you,ll be beating me for cheapness of build :eek: :D

seriously tho, best wishes for your build :) :cool:

andy

chriseyj
6th July 2009, 06:34 PM
I am sure my 19mm is actually 20mm and it worked fine.

I got quite a bit of my 25mm from some old computer trolleys some schools I work at were throwing out. The teachers were laughing at me sawing them up in a skip in the school car park, felt a bit skanky scavenging desks but at least its recycling.

Saved me a bit of money but still had to buy the longer lengths.

flyerncle
6th July 2009, 08:10 PM
Does not matter how you do it so long as you do it !:D

AshG
7th July 2009, 12:04 AM
rule of thumb. if its free try your hardest to make it fine without comprimising safety.