PDA

View Full Version : Tack welding, corners or straights?

mr henderson
14th July 2009, 03:25 PM
When tack welding the chassis, do you prefer to tack on the corners, or in the middle of the straights, or somewhere else?

I used to tack in the straight parts, but I'm thinking maybe the corners would be better, make for a smoother looking weld (as I'm inclined not to gring the tacks down before fully welding)?

mark
14th July 2009, 03:52 PM
I tacked all of mine on the corners so if they needed to be they could be easily removed and come welding up chassis time they didnt get in the way.

Your tacks should be small and neat so they shouldnt be a need to grind them away before fully welding up.

Kiwi car
17th July 2009, 09:35 AM
I always tack on the corners so it has less chance of pulling and also makes for a nicer weld

Bonzo
17th July 2009, 09:46 AM
Another vote for tacking the corners if at all possible :)

Small but hot tacks should do the job nicley & will not need grinding back ;)

AshG
17th July 2009, 01:47 PM
where ever the mood takes me. but its normally to a corner as it seems to be an ongoing theme in my life :D

michael92
12th May 2011, 10:53 PM
as bonzo and others say!

Also when tacking corners , if need be the pieces can be moved easily as in bent to regain squareness ect :)

MarkB
13th May 2011, 08:52 AM
When tack welding the chassis, do you prefer to tack on the corners, or in the middle of the straights, or somewhere else?

I used to tack in the straight parts, but I'm thinking maybe the corners would be better, make for a smoother looking weld (as I'm inclined not to gring the tacks down before fully welding)?

Always tack the corners as it lets you alter things with a tap of a timmy mallet if it's gone out of square. Measure corner to corner then when correct tack on the inside to stop it moving.:)