PDA

View Full Version : Help...which engine???

Jeze2903
16th July 2009, 10:37 PM
Hello all, Been building my car for a 6 months now, and will shortly be wanting to fit engine.
My original thoughts were to use a 2.0L Pinto, to keep things simple. An auto electrician mate convinced me to go the Zetec route, and last week I bought a low mileage 2.0L Zetec.
Luckily I have stumbled upon this site, and have realised now that as the engine is post 95, it will need a Cat to pass emmisions :mad:
My initial reaction is to ebay the Zetec, and go with my first thought and buy a 2.0L Pinto. I guess I could fit a Zetec once on the road, as a winter project.
Any thought or recomendations on this??

spud69
16th July 2009, 10:39 PM
Hello all, Been building my car for a 6 months now, and will shortly be wanting to fit engine.
My original thoughts were to use a 2.0L Pinto, to keep things simple. An auto electrician mate convinced me to go the Zetec route, and last week I bought a low mileage 2.0L Zetec.
Luckily I have stumbled upon this site, and have realised now that as the engine is post 95, it will need a Cat to pass emmisions :mad:
My initial reaction is to ebay the Zetec, and go with my first thought and buy a 2.0L Pinto. I guess I could fit a Zetec once on the road, as a winter project.
Any thought or recomendations on this??

Get yourself a scrap 1.8 CVH engine, easy to fit and when you do upgrade to a zetec after the IVA its an easy swap.

Jeze2903
16th July 2009, 10:46 PM
I had the chance of a 1.8CVH out of a sierra few months ago. Been reading on here the engine is heavy and not very powerful? Stiill the same probably applies to the good old Pinto?

les g
16th July 2009, 11:07 PM
lots of changes to the car to fit a fuel injected zetec post pinto ie .
exhaust wont fit and will be on wrong side fuel sytem will be wrong throttle linkage wrong engine mounts wrong plumbing wrong electrics and gauges wrong or wrong sensors bodywork will need chopping again as exhaust on different side
just to start with
sorry this is just food for thought!!!!!!!!!!!!
i would be very tempted to plough on with the zetec and buy a M-tech management and throttle body system
or chop the zetec in for an earlier one you could always cheat get an early zetec 1.6/1.8 they are cheaper and fit that then put the 2.0l in later
cheers les g

HandyAndy
16th July 2009, 11:12 PM
my plan (long term ) is to use the 1.8cvh from my donor to get on the road with, then eventually to buy a new zetec engine & install with bike carbs & megajolt thingy, as the cvh & zetec have exhausts on same side , other than the electrics & plumbing shouldn,t be too much hassle to install.

andy

Jeze2903
16th July 2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks Les. Thats was pretty much the plan with my Ztec. What about the cat? As it's a post 95 engine, I'll need one to meet the emission regs won't I?

Jeze2903
16th July 2009, 11:30 PM
Thx Andy, I guess your route sounds the most straightforward,and cheaper! Got some thinking to do!!!

AshG
16th July 2009, 11:50 PM
simple thought of the day.

how about fitting a cat?

Jeze2903
17th July 2009, 12:09 AM
Thinking about that, they don't look too expensive.Not sure how I would fit it in the engine bay. Would look a dogs dinner on the outside of the car

HandyAndy
17th July 2009, 12:13 AM
not sure if its the type of "cat" you would need but there is one for sale on the LCB forum, i think he wants £70 plus postage, its new too.

andy

AshG
17th July 2009, 12:29 AM
just get any modern standard bike can as they normally have cats built into them. they are also nice and quiet.

Jeze2903
17th July 2009, 02:59 PM
Good idea, never thought of that. Cheers Ash :)