PDA

View Full Version : front sb's

old_bill
19th July 2009, 12:06 PM
I started to fit the front suspension brackets and found that I have a gap between the chassis and the bracket. I have checked the frame dimensions and they seem OK. I had a word with Spikehaus as he had the same problem. There is apparently a thread on this but I can't find it.

Should I place a spacer between the chassis and bracket or should I manufacture new brackets with the dimension to the bracket hole altered to suit?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated :)

HandyAndy
19th July 2009, 12:09 PM
just put a spacer behind the bracket, i too had the same problem.

andy

mr henderson
19th July 2009, 12:13 PM
My vote would be for a spacer too. I'm sure you will do something suitable strong, and I think that would be better and more rigid than a bracket with longer arms.

Bonzo
19th July 2009, 12:47 PM
As with many others, I too had a gap that required a spacer ( 3mm to be exact )

Checked & double checked the bracket alignment jigs, spot on ;)

As long as the brackets are in alignment with the book spec, all should be fine :) :)

fabbyglass
19th July 2009, 12:59 PM
Don't shout at me but why not make the front chassis section that much wider to account for the gap.....:confused:

mr henderson
19th July 2009, 01:02 PM
Don't shout at me but why not make the front chassis section that much wider to account for the gap.....:confused:

Probably because using spacers would be a lot easier/quicker than going back and redoing the front frame

fabbyglass
19th July 2009, 01:14 PM
I would sooner redo the frame section

HandyAndy
19th July 2009, 02:03 PM
I would sooner redo the frame section

i have thought about this small issue & have looked at how to resolve it in a future build. ;)

andy

Bonzo
19th July 2009, 02:58 PM
From the brief bit of head scratching that I done.

It would appear that it is the intersection point at the bottom of the front frame tube & the Two upright tubes that attach to it.

I can't name the parts because I do not have rhe book to hand. :o :o

If I were to build another chassis, I would ensure that the front frame was made to suit the brackets. ;)

With the chassis fully welded, altering the front frame was not an option. :eek:

mark
20th July 2009, 12:27 PM
I started to fit the front suspension brackets and found that I have a gap between the chassis and the bracket. I have checked the frame dimensions and they seem OK. I had a word with Spikehaus as he had the same problem. There is apparently a thread on this but I can't find it.

Should I place a spacer between the chassis and bracket or should I manufacture new brackets with the dimension to the bracket hole altered to suit?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated :)

It seems as though the person who doesnt need packing behind these brackets is the odd one out on this one!

I did the same as have many others have just pack them out and weld em up!

Matthew
16th August 2009, 07:54 AM
Bill

Just reached the same point you did and have exactly the same problem - about a 3mm gap between FF2/3 and the suspension bracket. I've checked and re-checked the dimensions but for the life of me can't see where I've gone wrong.

I'm going to do the same as everyone else and pack the brackets out, but if I was to build another roadster I think I'd add four blocks to the jig for the front frame so that the tubes end up in the right place. As far as I can see the suspension mount points are the part of the structure that has to be correct, and their position is just a function of how well you align everything else. Any errors get magnified because of the angles involved.

Matt