PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki Engine Advice

chriseyj
21st July 2009, 11:23 AM
Hi I have been looking for a motorbike engine but I am on quite a tight budget really. I happened to mention to a caretaker at a school I work at that I was after a bike engine and bobs your uncle he tells me he has an entire bike in his shed.

Its a 1988 Kawasaki GPZ1000rx and he originally told me £100 for the engine but I think he wants to get rid of the entire bike for £300.

It hasn't been used since he slid it in 1996! but it turns over fine so isn't seazed it just needs the carbs cleaning because they are gummed up and when he tried it recently it wasn't running on 2 cylinders, butterflies are very stiff, used carbs are £18 though.

It has done 24000 miles and will have everything I need just not sure if it's worth £300 and whether it's a bit old?

Could use the engine and sell the frame, fairings and wheels e.t.c. but looking on ebay theres loads and at cheap prices so can't see a massive return.

Any advice would be appreciated, because I think he needs an answer so he can wheel it back into he shed and out his alley, to live there for another 12 years.

Thanks Chris

fabbyglass
21st July 2009, 11:54 AM
Bike shop next to me has got a Yamaha FZR1000 that runs and wants £300 for the whole bike. I would avoid a non runner If I was you as it could cost an arm and a leg to sort it out and gearbox can't be tested till it's running either!
A mate had a 1000rx and the valves sank into the head:eek:

chriseyj
21st July 2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the reply.
My wifes uncle is a bike mechanic and he said it might not be the best bike to use, he said they had a habbit of jumping out of gear. I got the impression he'd use a hyabusa (who wouldn't) but I'd have to save for a year or more just for the engine.
He also said uk petrol eats japanese carbs and he ends up chucking loads each year because all the cleaning methods in the world won't bring some back to life.

That fazer is probably a better buy think they make more power, the 1000rx is 125 bhp if your lucky.

I definately think an intact bike is the way to go, its just the cost.

chriseyj
21st July 2009, 06:41 PM
Where abouts are you Fabby does that FZR1000 look like a good bike?

ozzy1
31st July 2009, 12:57 PM
I used a zx9r a few years ago in a F27,very strong reliable engine,much better than a fireblade.also makes around 140bhp and can be picked up for a good price.When u get bored with it TTS do a big bore kit which takes it up to around 180bhp.