PDA

View Full Version : Bike Carbs

Beardy_John
22nd July 2009, 09:50 PM
Is anyone on here going the bike carb route? Thinking of giving it a go if I can do it on the cheap. My pinto manifold and carb just look pants. :D

(Hopefully, this won't get deleted! Someone must have found the button on their keyboard!:D :eek: )

HandyAndy
22nd July 2009, 09:55 PM
i,m hoping to go to bike carbs when i swap engines to a 2ltr zetec from what i have at the mo, 1.8cvh motor,
tho being honest i haven,t a clue what carbs i would need & the bits n bobs to go with them:confused:

but thats some way off yet for me:o

andy

Coozer
23rd July 2009, 10:33 AM
I have ZX9R carbs on my 2 litre zetec, also had them on the 1.8 before that.

Cheap as chips, carbs cost £35 and the manifold is homemade, whittled from some steel plate and tube.

HandyAndy
23rd July 2009, 10:43 AM
I have ZX9R carbs on my 2 litre zetec, also had them on the 1.8 before that.

Cheap as chips, carbs cost £35 and the manifold is homemade, whittled from some steel plate and tube.

cheezers Coozer, might have to ask for your help choosing some carbs/ manifold in the near future ;) :)

i,m waiting to hear about those tyres for you, let you know as soon as i know.

cheers
andy

DaddyA
1st August 2009, 10:00 AM
Hi,

I have the same problem with my CVH and carbs set up so I'm alo planning on bike carbs - not sure which yet but the feelers are out.

Also looking to use megajolt to replace that pile of wires they call hybrid. Anyone had any experience with that ignition system and know who sells it?

mark
1st August 2009, 12:39 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem with my CVH and carbs set up so I'm alo planning on bike carbs - not sure which yet but the feelers are out.

Also looking to use megajolt to replace that pile of wires they call hybrid. Anyone had any experience with that ignition system and know who sells it?

Im doing the same with zx6r carbs and megajolt. I using the original flange cut from the ford inlet manifold and welding some alloy tubes to it, but you need to blank off where the water outlet used to be in the centre of the flange.

The only problem is that the original water outlet comes out through the original inlet manifold and houses the thermostat on the edge of the manifold,the way round this is to pop out one of the core pugs on the end of the head and make a new thermostat housing to bolt to the tapped holes which are already in the head either side of the core plug ;)

Then in future when i go 2lt zetec i will already have carbs, megajolt and exhuast on the correct side :D so should be a painless winter project :D

DaddyA
1st August 2009, 12:59 PM
Cheers Mark,

I was wondering how I'd get round that. My water came from the end of the manifold not the centre?

Are you using the ZX's fuel pump or different one with fuel reg?

jerkins
1st August 2009, 04:07 PM
This is my x-flow inlet manifold, complete with water inlet. Not sure of the layout of the Pinto manifold...

http://www.dwjenkins.plus.com/manifold-welded.jpg

mark
2nd August 2009, 02:02 PM
Cheers Mark,

I was wondering how I'd get round that. My water came from the end of the manifold not the centre?

Are you using the ZX's fuel pump or different one with fuel reg?

Sorry didnt make that very clear

What i meant was the water leaves the engine in the middle of the inlet

manifold and then passes through and as you correctly say it comes out of

the end of the manifold where the thermostat is housed.

Yes i will be using a zx fuel pump too.

adrianreeve
2nd August 2009, 04:13 PM
Here's a few piccies of my conversion from a previous thread. Actually throttle bodies, but the manifold is the same.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1843

Cheers

Adrian

snapper
3rd August 2009, 09:41 PM
If you do use bike carbs you would be wise to use the choke sizes recommended for the twin Weber setup.
I have come a cropper with a set of bike carbs that were not well set up and within a matter of only a 1000 miles have had to strip the engine, massive overfueling has bore washed and diluted the oil to the extent that oil pressure went down to under 2 bar hot from 5 bar.

So if you do fit bike carbs (or any induction set up different from standard) the next step is a rolling road to set up the fueling correctly.