PDA

View Full Version : chassis on ebay

Talonmotorsport
2nd August 2009, 06:08 PM
How many people from here had this chassis on watching on ebay? item number 120453782500?

mr henderson
2nd August 2009, 06:18 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120453782500&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3D R40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D120453782 500%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I was aware of it, but not actually watching. Interesting, though, I could see myself getting something from you eventually. When are you going to do some suspension components, you could corner the market.

HandyAndy
2nd August 2009, 06:42 PM
i saw the chassis but am surprised it didn,t sell as its a very good price :confused: :cool:

looks tidy too.

andy

HandyAndy
2nd August 2009, 06:46 PM
just had a thought,

maybe it did sell by placing orders for the same chassis.

if you managed to sell any then congratulations, its a very good price for the new builder to start their build from. :cool:

andy

Talonmotorsport
2nd August 2009, 06:47 PM
I'm planning on starting on some wish bones mon-tues. I'm making a tube holder (not my idea I must admit) that will go in the tool post of the lathe to cut the fish mouths with a milling cutter to the correct angles.

RAYLEE29
2nd August 2009, 06:52 PM
Thats a good price but id have thought you would finish the rear end and put the steering column support on.
Ray:)

les g
2nd August 2009, 07:08 PM
where you when i started my build
that would of saved a lot of work
cheers les g

les g
2nd August 2009, 07:13 PM
hi guys
just a heads up really
if you are building a chassis and INTEND to use FABBY,s side panels
you might consider a mod to the steering column support so you dont have to cut a lump out of your nice new shiny side panel
Fabby recomends stepping the outer leg of the support in by 25 mm for a nice smooth line
cheers les g

Talonmotorsport
2nd August 2009, 07:52 PM
The idea of producing such a basic chassis was that the difficult or daunting part of the chassis build was out of the way. Not every body that builds 'their own' car wants to spend money on Fabby's body work and may go down other avenue's of styling or just buy from many of the other manufactures.
In an hour of discussion with two locost builders we came up with 25-30 different stages of build,engine,gearbox,seatbelt,rollbar,fuel tank conbinations and it's just not feasable to cater for every option off the shelf.
Look at places like McDonalds who sell 6-10 simple meals and their turn around time during lunch. How long would you have to wait if they had 200 things on the menu?
How many tales of woo have you heard about waiting for parts or the chassis,would'nt you just like to get on with building 'your' car? Buy a cheap correctly made chassis and a second hand MIG welder, learn some basic welding on the less essential parts of the build then sell the welder and get your money back. At the end of it you can stand back and say 'I BUILT that!'

mr henderson
2nd August 2009, 08:24 PM
Buy a cheap correctly made chassis and a second hand MIG welder, learn some basic welding on the less essential parts of the build then sell the welder and get your money back. At the end of it you can stand back and say 'I BUILT that!'

Would have to say that that is a very good point.

RAYLEE29
2nd August 2009, 08:46 PM
yes fair enough point and I was very impressed by the price.
If i was building chassis to sell id want a fair bit more, is that a starting up special price or are you planning to keep it that low.

geeman
2nd August 2009, 09:16 PM
hi guys
just a heads up really
if you are building a chassis and INTEND to use FABBY,s side panels
you might consider a mod to the steering column support so you dont have to cut a lump out of your nice new shiny side panel
Fabby recomends stepping the outer leg of the support in by 25 mm for a nice smooth line
cheers les g

hi, never knew that, im yet to weld on the steering support, and as im getting fabbys side panels, i wondered if u had pics of what you mean as im not sure what you mean. Thanks

HandyAndy
2nd August 2009, 09:28 PM
hi, never knew that, im yet to weld on the steering support, and as im getting fabbys side panels, i wondered if u had pics of what you mean as im not sure what you mean. Thanks

what i think Les is saying is when the time comes to fit the side panels the part of the steering wheel support frame that sits on the outside edge of the top chassis rail interferes with the side panel & so a little square has to be cut out of the side panel where it sits on the top rail at the point of the steering support frame,
hope that makes sense :o :D

andy

fabbyglass
2nd August 2009, 09:29 PM
It's no real drama but would be less worrying for folk if the rhs rails that support the column were inset a bit rather than sitting right on the edge of the chassis. Just means the grp sits on a little better and would help with doing ali sides too.

geeman
2nd August 2009, 09:39 PM
ok, roughly how many mm inset should it be or moved up, as im yet to fit the support,, it should be no problem moving it around a few mm. Thanks

les g
2nd August 2009, 10:32 PM
Fabbys panels are snug
we are welding a bit of chamfered (both ends ) 25mm box to the inside edge of the top rail
and removing 25 mm from the horizontal piece of of the support so the R/H
leg is 25mm in from the top chassis rail
as Fabby says its no drama at all just makes it all that much nicer
and gives a bit more clearance in the scuttle area
its just easier to do it before than cut it off later or try and fettle the sidepanel around it
i,ll try and get TJ to post up some pics later in the week
cheers les g

geeman
3rd August 2009, 08:38 AM
ok, i think i understand it now, but if you could get pics that would be great. Thanks:)

RAYLEE29
3rd August 2009, 09:57 AM
Dont you have to cut the scuttle too? I may move mine if it makes a neater job. I still have 1 cutting disc left at mo lol

fabbyglass
7th August 2009, 05:45 PM
Yes you would need to notch the return edge on the scuttle.

How many places can the grp be bought from now as there is more and more folk doing the steel work side of it.

Talonmotorsport
7th August 2009, 06:48 PM
I tryed playing with that sticky smelly stuff awhile back when I was planning on making body kits for transits. Lets just say your in no danger of competion from me on that front.