PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium floor

geeman
3rd August 2009, 10:25 AM
Well im planning on using an aluminuim floor, but not completely sure as to what thickness aluminuim i should be using. I was thinking 2 or 3mm. Also i was going to use some 40x3mm strip as well for seat montings when it eventually comesto it. I was also wondering if i should use 3mm tread plate as i think it would give a nicer effect and is hardly any more. I was planning on ordering a 2x1m sheet from parkersteel. Also on the inside for interior i was hoping to do somthing similar to the digram on pg116 but was wondering if i should use thim aluminuim as opposed to mdf or plywood for the inside layer.

Also im hoping this will be my last parkersteel order so is there anything i should order now incase i need it, as im not sure where else ill need aluminuim/steel as i dont want to fork out for another delivery charge later.

Tilly819
3rd August 2009, 01:54 PM
I used 1.7mm for the floor and 0.9mm for the reast of the body work

Tilly

deezee
3rd August 2009, 09:11 PM
I used 2mm 5000 series aluminium (5251 I think). Its twice as strong as a sheet of 1000 series aluminium and around the same price. Its tempting to just ask for a sheet of aluminium, but you might end up with something sold for takeaway trays (1050) versus the aluminium built for aircraft and marine craft (5251).

Beardy_John
3rd August 2009, 09:14 PM
IMHO I wouldn't use alu tread plate for the floor. Its very soft material to start with to get the tread pattern rolled into it. Your best going for 5000 or 6000 series alloy

snapper
3rd August 2009, 09:30 PM
You have to think that your bum and your legs are only a couple of inches from the floor, on one of the Rally programs one Co driver had a very close shave when a steel reinforcing rod went through the (steel) floor, seat and his race suite but stopped short of entering him.

Beardy_John
3rd August 2009, 09:37 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a steel floor. I have no want to be "entered" by any sort of rod ;)

HandyAndy
3rd August 2009, 09:45 PM
sorry to hijack the thread but can i ask ........

i have some sheets of stainless steel, 1.2mm thick, nice quality ( its the stuff used for kick plates on fire doors in M&S ) ;) :D

would this be ok to use for my floor?

thanks
andy

Beardy_John
3rd August 2009, 09:46 PM
do you know what grade of stainless it is?

Should have also asked, are you using alu rivets? You'll run the risk of galvanic corrosion between the alu rivets and the stainless sheet if there is any salty contact (i.e. winter driving). Next thing you know the floor might fall out ;)

HandyAndy
3rd August 2009, 09:53 PM
sorry don,t know what grade the stainless is, was given it from a shop refit ;) :D

is there any way around the corrosion issue? or should i stop being a tight git & buy some decent ali ? :o

thanks
andy

Beardy_John
3rd August 2009, 10:09 PM
The best thing you can do is insulate the two surfaces so they don't contact. glob of PU before you stick the rivet in would probably work. So long as you don't do a lot of driving in salty conditions, it might never happen. If you've got it laying around give it a go, worst is you have to drill it out and replace it.:D

les g
3rd August 2009, 10:31 PM
why yes just use stainless rivets
cheers les g

Beardy_John
4th August 2009, 08:55 PM
damn, why didnt I think of that! And from my datasheets, should be quite a bit stronger than the standard alu/steel rivets :)

HandyAndy
4th August 2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys, guess where i,m going tomorrow??? :D stainless shop :)

cheers
andy

jerkins
4th August 2009, 10:27 PM
why yes just use stainless rivets
cheers les g

As long as you've got arms like Popeye...

Beardy_John
4th August 2009, 10:39 PM
or an air powered rivet gun ;)

HandyAndy
4th August 2009, 10:44 PM
As long as you've got arms like Popeye...

well i used to be a sailor in the Merchant Navy.... does that qualify me? :D

andy

AshG
4th August 2009, 11:32 PM
air powered rivet gun is the way forward. i got mine from axminster for £45. was worth every penny when i did the floor on the weekend. its the first time i have done large amounts of riveting and not felt dead by the end of it.

HandyAndy
4th August 2009, 11:43 PM
what size compressor would i need for the air powered rivet gun? i,ve seen a complete kit in Aldi, would that be upto the job?
cheers
andy

Beardy_John
5th August 2009, 09:32 AM
The rivet gun should state a rated pressure and flow per minute (cfm I think). Even a small compressor should be up to the task, 25L sort of size, it's not like you'll be firing it off 100 times a minute or anything :)

AshG
5th August 2009, 09:40 AM
most compressors will run one they require very little air.

HandyAndy
5th August 2009, 09:47 AM
ok thanks guys, the price of the Aldi one seems very good, just wasn,t sure if it was "man enough", i,ll check the cfm rates, the mrs has asked what i,d like for my birthday soon ;) :D

cheers
andy