PDA

View Full Version : Stripping - tips and tricks

davidimurray
4th August 2009, 10:06 PM
Well - i've decided to go for a job as a stripper ....... only joking!!!!!!!!

Now your all disgusted by that thought - anyone got any tips or advice on stripping the sierra. Number one job I understand is to loosen the driveshaft nuts. Any more things to watch out for/do early on etc befoe i get it on the axle stands?

Cheers

Dave

jasongray5
4th August 2009, 10:08 PM
Dont be gentle...

davidimurray
4th August 2009, 10:13 PM
I hope that's with regard to the sierra :p

aaronbassett
4th August 2009, 10:14 PM
hack the car to bits more fun lol

jasongray5
4th August 2009, 10:26 PM
No just a good motto to live by! (for us farmer types):D

Bonzo
4th August 2009, 10:26 PM
Apart from the rear driveshaft nuts it is quite a straight forward job :)

I expect you probably know but for the benefit of any newbies that may read this at a later date. One of the rear driveshaft nuts, has a left hand thread, this can be identified by a small notch cut into the corners of the nut. ;)

Go easy on the rear subframe mounting bolts, If they start to get tight, wind them back in & try to get some easing oil on the captive nut.
They are a pain in the ass when the captive nut breaks free :eek:

It may well pay to be methodical when removing the wiring. I like to use masking tape & a CD marker to lable each item that I disconnect. ( Memory like a sieve )

Good luck with the stripping Dave :)

davidimurray
4th August 2009, 10:31 PM
Owww - that's a good tip on the left handed thread Ronnie - got the windy gun ready to go so that could have confused me for a while :D

Sorted the garage out today, chassis is leaning up against the wall and just use the space to do the oil on a mates focus (I now look like i've been working on an oil rig!) Saturday is the big day - Fire up the Sierra!

HandyAndy
4th August 2009, 10:42 PM
Saturday is the big day - Fire up the Sierra!

don,t set a match to it until you,ve got all the bits you need off it ;) :D :D

have fun stripping it, & look forward to the time when you start putting it all back together again :cool:

andy

Balidey
4th August 2009, 10:57 PM
Also worth putting an add on ebay for the parts you don't need. A few small bits of trim here and there can make it a break even.

AshG
5th August 2009, 03:40 PM
if you get this months complete kit car there is a guide for stripping the sierra aimed at the haynes ;)

fabbyglass
5th August 2009, 05:44 PM
Well what ever floats yer boat I guess but I would think best advice about stripping would be to be quick and don't get caught by the plodsters.....:rolleyes:

RAYLEE29
5th August 2009, 07:36 PM
if you get this months complete kit car there is a guide for stripping the sierra aimed at the haynes ;)

and a few pics of you too ash
looks like your famous

davidimurray
8th August 2009, 09:11 PM
Been busy stripping the car today - see the link to the pics on my signature

Bonzo
8th August 2009, 09:58 PM
Looks like you have made some good progress there :cool: :cool:

Completely stripped by tomorrow !!?? ;) :D

HandyAndy
8th August 2009, 10:04 PM
looks like you have had a fun day :D

the sierra looks in very good condition for a D reg, well it DID ;) :D

andy:)

davidimurray
8th August 2009, 10:18 PM
Hopefully engine and running gear out tomo - although need to help give my mates MGB a once over as it's going for a rolling road session on Monday. Took two car loads of 'interior' down to the tip.

It does seem in great condition. With only 44k miles all the mechanicals are great, but I have found a few welded patches!!!

Sam
11th August 2009, 02:07 PM
Any tips on what to do when you forget to undo the driveshaft nuts before stripping !!!

londonsean69
11th August 2009, 02:37 PM
Any tips on what to do when you forget to undo the driveshaft nuts before stripping !!!

I'm buying bits as I go along, so got a set of driveshafts off the car.

They were quite easy to do, I just gripped the driveshaft in a vice, then got the impact wrench on it. Just remember one of them is a left hand thread.

Unfortunately, the person who had them before me didn't - and has stripped the thread on one of the half-shafts.

If anyone has a spare half shaft (the L/H thread one) I would be up for buying it (mine came off a cossie so it would need to be one with ABS)

Sean

jasongray5
11th August 2009, 04:03 PM
I have one Sean, but I also managed to strip the tread on mine with a 1" Impact wrench that I borrowed on my donor car. I managed to pick up a whole rear sub frame (with the help of Ronnie(cheers again matey))
All for £20,
There are a few pop up on ebay now and again

HTH a little

Jas

squbti
16th August 2009, 07:02 PM
hey guys , lots of realy good advise there :D great to have such good suport.
i bought the haynes ford sierra manual & looked through it & seems very helpfull to have not just for striping but maybe also later when butting the parts together again:confused: .
cheers
Samy

georgenewman1
16th August 2009, 08:54 PM
i got the engine and all the running gear out myself, a tractor is of great help if you can borrow one to do all the lifting and pulling, the best thing i found for the wiering is a little brother, £10 and a pint and he spent all weekend removing and labeling the loom for me