PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to your donor parts?

davidimurray
5th August 2009, 11:20 PM
Out of interest - what work have you done to your donor engine/transmission over the mods required for fitting.

I'm hoping to swap the cambelt on mine, give it a good check over, then a degrease and a full repaint of all the donor bits. I like the idea of having a nice shiny engine under the bonnet - also gives my finances a break for a while :p

HandyAndy
5th August 2009, 11:27 PM
likewise, painted engine & gearbox, changed plugs, cambelt, oil filter, sump gasket, rocker gasket, fuel pump & thermostat gaskets, inlet & exhaust gaskets, rotor arm & plug leads, oh & a new clutch , new flywheel bolts, new alternator belt, thats about it apart from new oil for engine/gearbox & diff.
cleaned & painted uprights, driveshafts, brake drums etc.
phew thats quite a bit when i write it down???:eek: :D

andy

davidimurray
5th August 2009, 11:35 PM
Cheer guys. Sounds like you've been busy Andy. Out of interest what paint is everyone using - reading around the net there seems to be lots of opinions - one of the most common being that engine paint is rubbish! Oh and then there is the question of colour :rolleyes:

HandyAndy
6th August 2009, 12:06 AM
black smooth hammerite for the block & sump & ali paint for the rocker cover, gearbox bellhousing in black hammerite & ali paint for the "box",
not too bling bling but makes it look clean & tidy :cool:

andy

Sam
8th August 2009, 03:13 PM
The most important thing that needs to be done correctly. And you can quote me because I am an expert in this field. The paint HAS to be and no other alternative is acceptable !! It has to be BLUE !! Any flack for this statement can be directed elsewhere because I am right ! NO !!! Dont even bother with the reply button I AM right !!!

Wheres my beer !

RAYLEE29
8th August 2009, 09:01 PM
I would have to agree all my engines for the last 25 years have been blue, except of course the mini ones green and standard triumph ones black lmfao
Ray:)

Bonzo
8th August 2009, 10:11 PM
The most important thing that needs to be done correctly. And you can quote me because I am an expert in this field. The paint HAS to be and no other alternative is acceptable !! It has to be BLUE !! Any flack for this statement can be directed elsewhere because I am right ! NO !!! Dont even bother with the reply button I AM right !!!

Wheres my beer !

Hmmmm...............Feeling a bit feisty today are we :D :D

I know you said that you are an expert in the field.........But how are you with car engines :p

One thing for sure, it seems that only the Blue engine paint appears to be up to the job these days :confused:
The Red & Black that I have tried over the last couple of years, for want of better words, have been crap !!??

RAYLEE29
8th August 2009, 10:55 PM
hmm red!! personally i hate red engines inmo the only red bit on the engine should be the cam cover on a cossie otherwise no no no but if you want a red engine its fine by me
Ray:)

les g
9th August 2009, 02:03 AM
yes yes yes i agree
a cossie has to be red the green ones looked pants
as for ours
silver/metallic suump
blue block
alloy head ......and manifold (polished bogg bros.. ) POSE VALUE ONLY :cool: :cool:
blue cam box
cheers les g

adrianreeve
9th August 2009, 08:46 AM
Zetec with satin black case and Pure Orange powdercoated cam cover to match fabby's bodywork! Looks fast anyway!

Cheers

Adrian

AshG
9th August 2009, 10:12 AM
my engine is going to be all black. its a pinto so the less you see it the better :D

after iva when the proper engine goes in i might bling it up a bit.

davidimurray
9th August 2009, 10:18 AM
Hmm - I was thinking of satin black sump, red block and head then either satin black or polished finish to the cam cover. Although I'm now starting to ponder about a silver block. The mechanical stuff is easy, its the arty stuff that is more challenging :p

Oww and while having breakfast this morning I started day dreaming about black thin spoke alloys with gold calipers poking through :D