PDA

View Full Version : help with ignition

HandyAndy
8th August 2009, 09:43 PM
Hi all, may i ask if the following is worth buying ..............

Megajolt V3

cbr 600 throttle bodies

Filter king fuel filter with pressure gauge

are they worth having?

thanks in advance for your help.

cheers
andy:)

Jimmyd
8th August 2009, 09:51 PM
If you're using throttle bodies is it not a meagasquirt you need. Meja jolt only controls ignition, mejasquirt controls injectors and ignition. I thinks.

J

HandyAndy
8th August 2009, 09:57 PM
thats what i thought too,

so if i bought the Megajolt V3, i presume i would then need a set of bike carbs aswell ?

its just that a guy on LCB has various bits for sale & he,s local to me.

thanks

Jimmyd
8th August 2009, 10:03 PM
I bought a set of GPZ 1000 carbs during the week, awaiting delivery. I don't know if they are even up to the job but thought they were worth experimenting with. So I'm know thinking of a megajolt. May go with the DIY kit option.

J

HandyAndy
8th August 2009, 10:09 PM
i,ll be totally honest & say i don,t have a clue when it comes to elec trickery:D stuff,
the guy wants £50 for the Megajolt thing he has for sale, ????? is that good ?

andy

mr henderson
8th August 2009, 10:12 PM
the guy wants £50 for the Megajolt thing he has for sale, ????? is that good ?

It's OK if it

has everything needed to connect it
it is mapped to suit your engine or it cna be mapped (by you or someone you know)
it works properly

Jimmyd
8th August 2009, 10:20 PM
I'd certainly pay £50 if I thought it worked. Check the autosport web site http://www.autosportlabs.com you may be able to test it using a PC, not sure.

J

HandyAndy
8th August 2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks Mr H,
it looks like its just the "body" (brains) of the megajolt with some wires hanging out of it, the ad doesn,t say what its mapped for or if anything else comes with it.
think i,ll leave it for now.

how about the Filter King ? (£20)

cheers

davidimurray
8th August 2009, 10:23 PM
Andy - for compariosn - have a look here - http://trigger-wheels.com/store/index1.html?lang=en-uk&gclid=CObx6Nf-lJwCFYYU4wodhFESdw

For a pinto for example the kit they supply consists of -

Megajolt V4 ECU
New coil pack and connector
New crank sensor and connector
Refurbished EDIS Ignition module
Universal crank sensor bracket
Coil pack bracket
Loom kit
Univeral 36-1 trigger wheel (custom wheel included in xflow bundle)
Set of 8mm silicone spark plug leads
All software and cables required to tune the system and maps for a wide range of engines

Just about every item there is essential. You can pick up EDIS units secondhand and buy a trigger wheel and fit it. It's quite a lot of work and then you need to tune it so allow some rolling road time or someone who has a good 'butt' dyno.

Bonzo
8th August 2009, 10:26 PM
Hi Andy

If you want to use the Megajolt you'll be needing to run carbs on the engine, as said, the Megajolt only runs the ignition side of things.

They are not too expensive to buy at the moment, the exchange rate is heck of a lot better now than it was when bought my last one from the states ;)

I have assembled both Megajolt & Megasuirt, I found both to be quite straight forward. :)

HandyAndy
8th August 2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks also JimmyD & David, i,ll have a look at those links,
thankyou :cool:

adrianreeve
9th August 2009, 07:27 AM
Andy

The throttle bodiesare very similar to the CB900 bodies I have, see link below. Very easy to space out, and the fuel rail is easy to extend by cutting and silver soldering a new section in. As bonzo said, you will need megasquirt.

Cheers

Adrianhttp://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1843

drury318
9th August 2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Andy, if you are still thinking of using your 1.8cvh it already has a trigger wheel & crank sensor on it, and if you later change to a zetec it also has a trigger wheel & crank sensor on the flywheel.
I found some GSXR 600 suzuki throttle bodies on Ebay and they were very easy to respace, whilst I was looking for them at autojumbles though there were far more carbs available than throttle bodies.
Edis modules & coil packs are still about in scrapyards if you look, just take a photo so you know what to look for, although the later Fords combined edis with the PATS within the ECU & hence are not really of much use to you.
I have been told that if you use carbs for the fuel side then you can get away with the ignition system from a Ford HCS (Fiesta 1100/1300) this looks like an edis module but has a Red inset plate on the front of it saying HCS. Wiring diagrams for these & edis are readily available, just Google them.
This would not be programmable obviously, but it will get you mobile and may be worth a try in the short run? You have my number, call if you are unsure,
Dennis

HandyAndy
9th August 2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, ( sorry Ronnie, i,d missed your reply :o ),

having looked at the links supplied & taking things into account ( me being thick with things i don,t really understand fully), i,m going to wait until i need to "replace";) my current engine, with a zetec, then i,ll go the megajolt & carbs way.
i,ll be chuffed to just get the current setup working :eek:

thanks all.

andy

flyerncle
9th August 2009, 11:57 AM
Put bike "carbs" on the cvh for a little more power or a pair of 40s/45's.
I think saveing the money and time fiddling about is probably better spent at a later date on a Zetec or similar.
You are not thick Andy by any means,we all have different expierience's but this is the place to find out.

You have the phone number.........