PDA

View Full Version : Pinto Wiring

davidimurray
9th August 2009, 07:29 PM
Well, this is kind of an electrical question - but thought I would pop it in here as it is engine related.

Been taking the stripping slowly and carefully dismantling all the bits ready for the engine to come out (1987 1.8 Pinto Sierra). Currently removing all the ancilliaries and loom. There are two connectors than I know where they go, but not quite sure of their purpose -

1) A single pin connection into the bottom of the manifold/carb at the back, it is braided in the same part of the loom as the oil pressure switch and plugs into a connector with another single pin connection on it.

2) Up the front betwween the dizzy and the block there is a bullet connector going into the block.

Any ideas waht theses are for? I like to know what all the connectors do!

Cheers

dogwood
9th August 2009, 08:00 PM
number 1. is it a single heavy red wire?
if so then it's the manifold heater

number 2. I think is either water temp or oil switch

David

Bonzo
9th August 2009, 08:03 PM
I can't really help with the first one.
There was quite a variety of carbs fitted to the pinto engine.

If the wire goes directly to the carb, it will most likely be some form of fuel shut off or anti run on soleniod .

If the wire goes to a round unit that has two water hoses going to it then it may be possible that it is fited with an electric auto choke.

If it goes to the manifold itself then it will be most likely be emission related, not likely in view of the cars age.

Best just to mark the wire for the time being. A dab of paint/nail varnish on both the wire and the place that it connects to will do the job a treat ;)

The second wire is a little easier.
The connection to the block by the dizzy will be the temp gauge sender wire.

I hope that is of some use. :)

davidimurray
9th August 2009, 08:19 PM
I don't think so the, the manifold heater is the single wire to the centre of the manifold where there is the big plate underneath i think. THis is further back, and to be hoenst I can't remember whether it was on the carb or manifold.

davidimurray
9th August 2009, 08:22 PM
Ronnie

Thanks for the info. THe car does have an auto choke so you may be onto something there!

On the temp sensor front - according the haynes manual the sensor on the bottom of the manifold at the front of the car is the coolant temp sensor! I thought that one in the block would be the engine temp as well :confused:

dogwood
9th August 2009, 08:34 PM
There are 2 switches in the block.
One is oil switch one is temp switch.
I think the one at the front is the water.

What carb have you got fitted?
Is it the wire to the carb or manifold? ( sorry just seen you cant remember)
What colour is it?
Yes you are correct about the heater.
If yyou can post a picture, I can probably ID it

David

davidimurray
9th August 2009, 08:41 PM
Ahh - perhaps the one in the block is the idiot light, and the one in the manifold is the temp compensation for the electronic ignition module.

The car has got the Pieerburg 2E2 carb fitted (until I get some bike ones :p ) and with mu bike carb lusting it would be nice to understand all the wiring.

I must admit to not being able to remember at the moment where the wire went or the colour and the garage is 20 min away! I specifically remember though that it was braided with the oil pressure sensor. Will have to check the exact details and report back tomo.

Bonzo
9th August 2009, 08:43 PM
Just had a quick look at my Haynes manual

The OHC engine water temp sender is shown adjacent to the distributer & where the temp switch is fitted to my 1987 Pinto engined Transit.

On the CVH engine it is shown on the manifold & next to the thermostat housing.

That's about all the information I have to hand :) :)

davidimurray
10th August 2009, 10:14 PM
Cheers guys

Got a pic tonight -

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3737870&l=397d31967c&id=601005324

See the blue wire going into that connector. The other wire seems to go off ot the auto-choke unit so maybe that sensor tells it when to turn on?

SeriesLandy
5th March 2012, 02:01 PM
I know that this is an old thread but may be help to some people.

The wire (no1) that goes to the auto choke, is blue/white.
It goes all the way round the engine bay to the alternator.

Can this be changed from being connected to the alternator to a switched live??

Cheers guys for the help.

twinturbo
5th March 2012, 05:56 PM
The 1.8 Pinto was the only one to have the alternator with the feed for the carb, there must have been a reason for it.

I am hopefully getting a 1.8 Pinto for Build2. But it may have no ESC module which will be a pain.

TT

SeriesLandy
5th March 2012, 11:13 PM
Apparently the alternator output has a lower voltage output (read on fordification.com) but can't find anything to back it up.

twinturbo
6th March 2012, 07:31 AM
The 2e2 on the MK2 golf just runs off a 12V supply with a thermo switch so not sure on the voltage thing.

TT

davidimurray
6th March 2012, 08:04 PM
Twin - what bits are you after? Will have to have a dig in the garage but I may still have the bits that came off my Pinto.