PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Polybushes

aerosam
11th August 2009, 10:12 AM
Hi guys,

I'm expecting the polybushes for my wishbones to arrive today (fingers crossed) and I've just realised I don't really know much about them, as I have never used them before.

So I really have 2 questions:

1. What is the correct method of assembly?

2. Do they need any lubrication, grease/oil?

Thanks!

Sam

fabbyglass
11th August 2009, 02:37 PM
Should be a push fit and should come with some greasey stuff although the insert may prove a tad awkward to get in but no drama really... .honest:)

aerosam
11th August 2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys,

the bushes did indeed arrive today and I was able to fit them without much drama at all! The bush halves went in by hand, and I just had to use a G-clamp to press fit the crush tubes.

I have trial fitted the drivers side wishbones with the upright and it all fits and moves really nicely! I'm so chuffed!

One thing, I need to get the correct bolts for the wishbones, I'm thinking M12 x 70?

ozzy1
12th August 2009, 02:02 AM
70mm sounds about right as u would have the bracket width + 2 washers +the thickness of the nut + couple threads out the end of the nut.Just remember u need 8.8 tensile strength bolts,buy BZP(bright zinc plate) also.

Murray Ralls
20th August 2009, 09:39 AM
Please help. Where do you English chappies get your polybushes? I tried sourcing them locally today & they look like costing me more than the rest of the project.
Regards to all.

TSM Locost
20th August 2009, 10:06 AM
http://www.3gecomponents.com all top quality,

lots of Roadster builders use them.

aerosam
20th August 2009, 10:11 AM
I got mine from rallydesign

www.raldes.co.uk

i believe they will ship internationally as well.

flyerncle
20th August 2009, 06:19 PM
You could always make your own, UHMWPE is a hard plastic and good for bushes and machines easily,a piece of 19 mm steel bar and off you go.

AshG
20th August 2009, 08:16 PM
sam i thought the rally design crush tubes were too short?

Murray Ralls
21st August 2009, 11:03 PM
Please help. Where do you English chappies get your polybushes? I tried sourcing them locally today & they look like costing me more than the rest of the project.
Regards to all.

Thanks fellas. 3gecomponents look like the business but airfreight to NZ is a bit horrendous, maybe good old fashioned sea freight will be cheaper. Rally design don't appear to have an e-mail address.:)