PDA

View Full Version : Sierra rear brakes

Jeze2903
14th August 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm just about to fit the rear hubs to my car. They are off a 1993 1.8CVH Sierra. I want to replace the brake shoe hold down spings, but not sure what brake system I have. The chappie at my local Ford dealer says it could be Girling or Bendix, but doesn't know how to tell the difference!! The hold down spring kits are different between to 2 system.
Does anyone know how to tell the difference?? :confused:

flyerncle
14th August 2009, 06:56 PM
Sometimes it is the make of cylinder that gives it away Girling or Bendix.
Or use a long bolt and some washer's with a nylock nut but do not tighten it fully to keep them in place,works a treat !

Jeze2903
14th August 2009, 07:14 PM
The chap at Ford said something about the master cylinder being something to do with it. I've just got hold of the trusty Haynes manual it looks like the front calipers, off the same car, are not Girling but Teves...whatever the hell make that is!!! With that in mind it would be logical to think the rear brakes are not Girling????

RAYLEE29
15th August 2009, 11:10 AM
nothings really logical with ford brakes they just seem to go to the parts bin and fit whatever comes to hand that day
if your just after the spring things theyre pretty much all the same
you can normally get a set from your local motor factor without going to see the ford man who usually wants to know your mums maiden name before serving you lol

georgenewman1
15th August 2009, 11:13 AM
hi sorry nothing to do with rear brakes really, just wondering if anyone else has had any trouble fitting the rear wheels, i have a set of 14" alloys off the sierra and they dont seem to fit over the bottom wishbone bolts at the back, have i messed up my measurments or missing somethi, any help greatly recived, cheers

georgenewman1
15th August 2009, 11:14 AM
and how do you start your own thread to ask new questions??? cheers again

geeman
15th August 2009, 11:27 AM
hi sorry nothing to do with rear brakes really, just wondering if anyone else has had any trouble fitting the rear wheels, i have a set of 14" alloys off the sierra and they dont seem to fit over the bottom wishbone bolts at the back, have i messed up my measurments or missing somethi, any help greatly recived, cheers

you need to have 15in wheels or bigger. Im not sure if its in the book or not, but thats the case.

to start a new therad go into the catogory you want on the home page and then click new thread at the top left of the page

georgenewman1
15th August 2009, 11:30 AM
lush cheers fella

RAYLEE29
15th August 2009, 11:32 AM
Hi and welcome,
ok firstly loads of people have had clearance issues with the rear wheels and there have been different solutions
fit bigger wheels
spacers
spacing out the upright and using shorter wishbones
or my solution was to make the rear uprights slightly different I moved the lower holes up by 5mm I have not posted this mod as I havent actually finished or driven my car
also I havent asked others oppinion on it
as for starting new threads go to the section you want to start a new thread in e.g chassis, at the bottom of the list is an icon (start new thread) click it and away you go
Ray:)