PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used kitpartsdirect?

Jimbob
24th August 2009, 06:47 PM
Has anyone used kitpartsdirect?

As well as all the rest of it they do a nice 26" wide nose cone that sounds like it will fit the roadsters wide chassis. And it's £85 which aint too bad.

Just want to see if anyone has used them before to make sure they're decent.

James

HandyAndy
24th August 2009, 06:55 PM
i,d suggest buying the nose from Triton race products, its made to measure & WILL fit, quality Grp that you,ll be hard pressed to find better. quality is worth the little bit more money ;)

andy:)

deezee
24th August 2009, 07:21 PM
As I understand it, Kit Parts Direct are Great British Sportscars. So the Nose cone is either off an old Robinhood style or the new Zero. Seems like an good price though.

I'm not knocking Triton, but whenever the issue of seats or bodywork is asked, it seems like the only answer this forum gives. Again we all know the quality is awesome, but a couple of alternatives won't do any harm..... plus its nice to see variations on the Haynes theme.

Username
24th August 2009, 07:27 PM
Hey,

Someone in this forum has done it, from memory I think his username is "SMUDGER", but im not sure.

I also thought about buying this nosecone from Kit parts dir. but I remember from that guy who has done that the nosecone needs to be further widened around 50mm more to make it fit properly to the haynes roadster.

Regards,
Dario:cool:

TSM Locost
24th August 2009, 07:39 PM
I have a Robin Hood one on my locost, never rearly been happy with it. When i build my roadster it will be Triton only.
Spend your money wisely and it will look much better and you will be happy.

HandyAndy
24th August 2009, 08:27 PM
As I understand it, Kit Parts Direct are Great British Sportscars. So the Nose cone is either off an old Robinhood style or the new Zero. Seems like an good price though.

I'm not knocking Triton, but whenever the issue of seats or bodywork is asked, it seems like the only answer this forum gives. Again we all know the quality is awesome, but a couple of alternatives won't do any harm..... plus its nice to see variations on the Haynes theme.

thats a fair comment to make, its a buyers market, but also buyer beware etc, as i said, the triton nose will fit without modifying it, i suggested the Triton nose as thats what i have & am VERY pleased with it & happy to pass on to other builders my opinion of the product.

a suggestion.... hold a Triton nose cone up to the sun light, then do the same with another make of nose cone, you,ll see the difference a few £,s spent will be worthwhile. ;)

flyerncle
24th August 2009, 09:24 PM
Either you are related or definately on commission Andy !

HandyAndy
24th August 2009, 09:28 PM
Either you are related or definately on commission Andy !

hey he might be my long lost brother????:eek:

after all.... my dad was in the Navy :D :D

no, not on commission just happy with the product :)

andy

flyerncle
24th August 2009, 09:32 PM
Gotcha ! I is only kidding.

HandyAndy
24th August 2009, 09:35 PM
Gotcha ! I is only kidding.

hook .....line......& nose cone :D :D

sorry for being in a cheeky mood, needed to have a laugh.;) :o

andy

Bonzo
24th August 2009, 10:19 PM
Just my £1's worth. ;)

I have yet to see a GRP product that comes even close to the quality of Tritons ones.

I saw one of the Major brand bonnets recently. The RRP was in the region of £360 :eek: Personally I thought the product was crap !!??

The cost of materials has gone through the roof the last few years,

Surely no one could begrudge Mark a modest living for his efforts :confused: :confused:

les g
24th August 2009, 10:50 PM
Just my £1's worth. ;)

I have yet to see a GRP product that comes even close to the quality of Tritons ones.

I saw one of the Major brand bonnets recently. The RRP was in the region of £360 :eek: Personally I thought the product was crap !!??

The cost of materials has gone through the roof the last few years,

Surely no one could begrudge Mark a modest living for his efforts :confused: :confused:

Ronnie
Are you kidding .............Mark is richer than Croesus
he only does GRP stuff to fund his alternative lifestyle and stop him becoming bored...........
he,s now joining the idle rich surfing brigade just for kicks
cheers les g

Bonzo
24th August 2009, 10:57 PM
As I am about ready to order my first batch of parts, I'm saying nowt !!??

You know they'll end up Pink :eek: :D :D

Be up to annoy you this week Mark ;)

HandyAndy
24th August 2009, 11:10 PM
As I am about ready to order my first batch of parts, I'm saying nowt !!??

You know they'll end up Pink

Be up to annoy you this week Mark

pink with black wings ;) :eek:

sweeeeeeeet :D made by Bassetts i believe:p

andy

AshG
25th August 2009, 08:41 AM
at the end of the day it all depends on how much spare time you have and how much money your willing to spend.

yes you can spend £85 on a robin hood nose and make it fit but you will prob spend a week cocking around chopping it up to get it to fit.

sometimes its worth spending that little bit extra not to have all the messing about.

to be honest by the time you have spent £30 on resin and matting to sort out the choped up one, then £15 on filler then had it all painted up to look nice it works out more expensive than the triton nose cone. that is unless you already have some spare resin and matting from another job.

yes the triton one is £50 more but you can order it have it delivered and bolt it straight on no fuss.

Hoybi
25th August 2009, 10:56 AM
Surely, it would be good to have some alternatives to the present single supplier.
But the quality of the parts made by Fabbyglass (I bought nose cone, scuttle and wheel arches) is superb.

So who is going to offer similar things preferably at a lower price ??
And who is willing to try out if the parts are up to standard ???

deezee
25th August 2009, 03:55 PM
at the end of the day it all depends on how much spare time you have and how much money your willing to spend.

I agree, but by virtue of the Haynes Roadster, it does rather indicate I have more time than money :D .... or I'd have a MK etc. All I'm saying is when someone asks for advice on another manufacturer, lets give that advice, rather than ignore the question and sing the praises of Triton products.

I'm made to feel that by discussing other suppliers is taboo and is somehow taken as a slight to Fabby. All I want to know is do MK indy (and other suppliers) make compatible body panels.

HandyAndy
25th August 2009, 04:17 PM
there is nothing wrong at all in discussing alternative suppliers of the various parts to build a Roadster, i suppose also that parts that are available elsewhere that are of the "universal" type of part, ie steering racks/brake lines etc then they can be sourced from almost any motor factors,

as for the bodywork, then there is a "slight" purpose of being directed to Triton & thats purely due to the fact that fabby,s products are made to measure for the Roadster,
as Ash has said it depends on your time/abilty to modify other suppliers products to make fit the Roadster.

Until another company starts making bodykits purely for the Roadster then Triton are the obvious choice of supplier if you don,t want to make your body.

also tho i would like to add that i think Fabby deserves a bit of support for his products, who else has put the effort into making good quality bodywork solely for the Roadster?
fabby is usually the first to say that nobody that is building a Roadster HAS to buy his kits, but come on guys, his kit is good stuff, he,s on the forum & is a keen supporter of the Roadster, thats my personal view & not intended to be a starting point of a heated discussion :)

cheers

ps, & no i,m not on commission from Triton, i,ve never even met Mark yet:p

AshG
25th August 2009, 05:38 PM
i think the bias is towards reccomending fabby because he makes bloody good bodywork at a bloody good price. i dont think it has anything to do with the fact that he is everyones mate. your comparing bottom of the market low quality grp rubbish from robin hood with top of the market grp from fabby. any robin hood grp i have ever seen has allways been paper thin.

have a look at the price for westfield, caterham, mnr, mk grp for comparison then triton wont seem so expensive.

there are hundreds of places that will supply you a nose cone. i have seen one that someone got from gts and it was all wonkey and crap although it was £30 cheeper and half the thickness.

mk used to supply the nose cones for the haynes but i believe they have stoped because fabby undercut and and out sold them.

so basically your only choice is gts or fabby. or buy something and modify it.

to be quite frank.

Mark (fabby) has cornered the market and fair play to him for that. he could charge a lot more than he does and prob still sell just as much of it.

if he sold everything he makes for £50 less than he does now i doubt he would sell any more and there would still be people moaning about the cost regardless.

at the end of the day the price is the price you either pay it or dont have it.

flyerncle
25th August 2009, 06:05 PM
I am not knocking what is obviously a fine product and we have been down the "you get what you pay for " route,but I am convinced Andy is Fabby's offspring.

Quality costs and if you make cheap stuff that's what you get.

I am on Fabby's side all day long the guy is a star.

georgenewman1
25th August 2009, 06:14 PM
they are the same company as great brithish sports cars, i got a stainless manifold and a set of bike carbs off em, the both look liike nice units and were pretty cheap to say the carbs are already jetted to your spec and come with the manifold, all fittings and a piperx filter

HandyAndy
25th August 2009, 06:17 PM
I am convinced Andy is Fabby's offspring.

I am on Fabby's side all day long the guy is a star.

Paul...:p i,m not biting :p

anyhow ..... Fabby is younger than me, so there :eek: :D

andy

flyerncle
25th August 2009, 06:19 PM
It's a lie!

You have allready bitten.....

HandyAndy
25th August 2009, 06:23 PM
It's a lie!

You have allready bitten.....

:eek: DOH, as Homer would say :D :D

andy;)

flyerncle
25th August 2009, 06:24 PM
No comment !

deezee
25th August 2009, 08:09 PM
your comparing bottom of the market low quality grp rubbish from robin hood with top of the market grp from fabby

I'm sorry if I gave that impression and I agree with you. GBS is probably perfectly adequate at covering the chassis, not only does fabby make a better product but you can even pick your gel coat colour, the two just don't compare. I know where I'm going for wings/scuttle/nose cone when I can scrap some money together.

All I'm trying to say, is that when someone asks about a product, I think its polite to try and answer his question, rather than just dismiss it, because he's not talking about the Lamborghini of fibreglass. People are working with different budgets and have their own style preference.

As the book has the subtext "On a budget", its hardly surprising people want to save money, at the expense of free time. After all, its why many of us make, rather than buy the chassis.

Again, as Andy mentions, my own opinion and I'm not trying to put anyones nose out :p

les g
25th August 2009, 09:22 PM
No comments from Fabby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He,s proably adrift or going round in circles on his waveski thingy.. LOL..
cheers les g

minimad
25th August 2009, 11:26 PM
cheers les g

no he has a new toy to play with a spray gun for spraying gelcoat i know this cos i saw him playing with it today :D :D

fabbyglass
26th August 2009, 04:16 PM
cheers les g

Going round in circles indeed!!!....I can't stay on the damn thing long enough to go round in circles...jeeeez they are awkward to master:o :o

Nobody has to buy my grp panels,because the book does detail making most of it in ali and lists Martin Keenan as the supplier for the other bits.:)

axle
27th August 2009, 11:29 AM
Be Warned and do not fall in that trap Robin hood nose cone does not fit, they will tell you it will and take your money. Buy the one from Mark and save all the hussle from Robin Hood.

frankie boy
27th August 2009, 10:51 PM
HI
Just to say that mk engineering still do the GRP noes. wings, scuttle.
Rang them last week and will be ordering soon. The price was very good too.
I like the look of the original haynes roadster.

dogwood
7th September 2009, 07:54 PM
Has anyone used kitpartsdirect?

As well as all the rest of it they do a nice 26" wide nose cone that sounds like it will fit the roadsters wide chassis. And it's £85 which aint too bad.

Just want to see if anyone has used them before to make sure they're decent.

James

I have seen them.......
They don't fit the Haynes Roadster.(Although they sat they do)
They are realy flimsy with no proper edges.

JMHO you understand
David

fabbyglass
10th September 2009, 09:19 AM
It's all in the angle of dangle not too mention the depth of the thing

snapper
14th September 2009, 09:33 PM
Kits parts direct was Lolocost which was owned by Richard Stuart/Robin Hood Engineering before being sold to GBS.
Lolocost started selling Locost parts and added Robin Hood parts later on.
They sold both Robin Hood sized parts and Ron Champions Build a Sportscar for £250 parts including a chassis.
Currently they sell a mix of Robin Hood and Locost stuff.
Most of the stuff is OK but pays your money etc.
You can see the parts on the GBS/Robin Hood stand at the shows.
But like everything you should check price and quality and compare.

axle
16th September 2009, 03:45 PM
Glad to know they have been of good service to you,