PDA

View Full Version : Cunning gearbox mount plan...

jasongray5
26th August 2009, 12:29 AM
In a moment of sheer genious, I realised that with the geabox mounts on the chassis, mounted below the gearbox mount on the gearbox (oh F**K ive confused myself already)

Its going to be a real bitch to undo the bolts that hold it all together, when you have side pannels fitted, so why not, put the chassis mounts on top, then weld a nut on, so you put a bolt in from the bottom of the gearbox, making it nice and easy to undo if nessisary...?

(sorry for confusing you) but think about it and it might come to you):D :D

HandyAndy
26th August 2009, 12:52 AM
i,ve read that 3 times now & each time i,m more confused than the previous time????? :D :D

only joking, i get what you,re saying but only just :o

andy

mark
26th August 2009, 08:44 AM
Its a good point and a good solution, but in engineering practice if the bolt ever came loose it would fall out. thats why whenever you can put bolts in facing down so if the nut comes loose the bolt would still be in like a pin ;)

Thats in theory anyway :D

But I would be quite confident in the mount you have described but would put a glug of loctite on the bolts for good measure

deezee
26th August 2009, 12:56 PM
Could you not just undo the big bolt in the middle of the mount, remove the gearbox from the mount? Then once its all clear and you have more space, unbolt the 2 holding the mount to the chassis?

jasongray5
26th August 2009, 01:05 PM
Could you not just undo the big bolt in the middle of the mount, remove the gearbox from the mount? Then once its all clear and you have more space, unbolt the 2 holding the mount to the chassis?

Most certainly not... far too simple and easy for my liking...:o

(p.s.) Gearbox mounts going in the normal fashion this afternoon...;)

RAYLEE29
26th August 2009, 09:07 PM
The mount im using already has fixed nuts on it so the bolts go up from below and if its good enough for good ole henry its good enough for me.:)
I found it in my garage so im not sure what ford it came off but its definately a std ford item.
Ray:)