PDA

View Full Version : Chassis paint

axle
26th August 2009, 03:09 PM
Hi
Can any body tell me what kind of paint would be durable and good value for money to paint the chassis. I have heard of 1-2-1 rust paint but it works out to be about £60 for 2 litres, lastly how much paint is needed?

georgenewman1
26th August 2009, 04:09 PM
i coated the frame in red oxide, cheep from wilkos or farmers coops and then painted it with hamerite strait to metal, that stuffs expensive, but still only about£40 for a 1/2 gallon, the finish is quite good and the wishbones have been done for over a year now and theres no sign of any problems
cheers

georgenewman1
26th August 2009, 04:10 PM
and i didnt use the whole can yet doin the wishbones and chassis

AshG
26th August 2009, 04:14 PM
i got 2L of epoxy mastic 121. i think from memory i used about 1-1.5l spraying it on with a micro spray gun. results are in this months complete kit car. good thing is that there is plenty left for touch ups if i ever make any alterations to the chassis.

im happy with the results but it did chip easily at first. now its been on the car over a month it seems to be more robust.

i calculated the cost of doing it with spray cans from halfords and it worked out around £90. powder coating was £140 but ideally you want it sand blasted before powder coat adding another £60 to the cost.

by far the most cost effective solution is hamerite but i would say its slightly less durable than the epoxy 121.

Adam R.
26th August 2009, 08:05 PM
I use hammerite metalmaster

http://www.hammerite.com/uk/products/ps_metalmaster.html

Trophy Blue
31st August 2009, 03:16 PM
Chassis black is actually made for the job, it is very robust, cheap, easy to apply and easy to repair if needed.

Available from all good motor factors