PDA

View Full Version : Removing driveshafts

Peter-C
31st August 2009, 12:35 PM
I'm struggling removing the driveshafts. The donor is an estate and I've removed the whole rear subframe. I've removed the hub nut and the 4 bolts that secure the hub carrier and brake backplate to the lower suspension arm. You should now be able to pull the whole drive shaft assembly out but it seems too big to go through the hub.
Any ideas ?

Pete

AshG
31st August 2009, 01:36 PM
have you got any pictures of it?

Peter-C
31st August 2009, 01:45 PM
I've taken some photos, just need to work out how to post them.

Peter-C
31st August 2009, 02:20 PM
Hopefully there should be a picture attached. The yellow diameter goes thru the hub but the red one doesn't.

Peter

davidimurray
31st August 2009, 02:26 PM
That seems strange - have a look at my gallery below, pages 4 and 5 for pics of removing mine. I removed the hub, which should slide over the splines, then the brake backplate followed by the bearing carrier. The drive shaft should now be very loose and you just need to pull and it will come out and through the hole.

Have you removed the bearing carrier? From your pic it looks like everything may still be in situ and you could be getting stuck against the carrier.

Cheers

Dave

Peter-C
31st August 2009, 02:29 PM
You're right I haven't removed the bearing carrier - do I need a puller ?

Peter

davidimurray
31st August 2009, 02:39 PM
No mine just pulled out -there is a male portion that locates it into the the subframe - this may have slightly rusted into place.

Bonzo
31st August 2009, 02:40 PM
It may be the dreadded rust causing the problem, They are quite a tight fit.

Perhaps it may be just as easy to take the two lower wishbone bolts out, then remove the driveshaft from the dif & then take the shaft out from the other direction.

You may find the splines a little tight in the hub, a few light taps with a copper hammer should get it moving.

Peter-C
31st August 2009, 02:43 PM
Cheers lads,

One Birmingham screwdriver ( a Hammer ! ) coming right up.

Peter

Bonzo
31st August 2009, 02:57 PM
If you don't have a copper hammer, a piece of hardwood will protect the threads & end of the shaft.

If you use softwood, you'll soon find out why it is called softwood after a coulple of clouts with a lump hammer :D :D

Peter-C
31st August 2009, 03:18 PM
All done and dusted with the hardwood and lumphammer

Cheers

Peter