PDA

View Full Version : dilemma !!!!

semtexsteve
31st August 2009, 04:49 PM
i have got a dilemma i am just finishing stripping my donor and almost finished fully welding the chassis do i A finish wleding all the brackets and mounts on prime and paint it then start the massive job of cleaning and rebuilding the donor parts as i need them or . B Do all the cleaning now and store them out of the way then the chassis so i have all the parts ready to fit when the time comes o what to do ?

Bonzo
31st August 2009, 05:14 PM
A matter of personal choice really.

I opted for. Strip the donor, box it all up & put it away. :confused:

At times, it was not the best of ideas.
As the chassis neared completion, I found myself constantly searching through boxes looking for some of the parts :o :o

If you are going to put the parts away, make sure you know where all of the parts are.
Itemise the boxes with a permanent marker ;)

doop
31st August 2009, 05:38 PM
i stripped everything off as well because i needed to get rid off the donor asap but as always i stripped it 3weeks a go and its still there on the drive. i got a 189ltr storage box from B&Q for £20 on offer instead of £30 managed to get gear box, brakes,steering colum, drive shafts in it and a few other things.

deezee
31st August 2009, 06:37 PM
Half the stuff that needs stripping, needs cleaning. So I opted to get onto this straight away, rather than hold up assembly. I got into a habit of putting a part in an electrolysis bath each evening, and change the part the following evening. Then after a couple of weeks, everything had been stripped of rust and primed. Assembly hardly takes anytime at all when all the parts are good.

frankie boy
31st August 2009, 09:42 PM
Hi
I think its nice to have all parts clean, painted ready to go in. You hear of builders not getting to sva/iva becaues engine over heating or clutch failing. A well presented car is always a bonus. Restoring donor parts is as much a part of building as the chassis and bodied parts.

davidimurray
31st August 2009, 10:39 PM
I'm using the opportunity to refurb the donor parts as a good cash break from buying stuff!

HandyAndy
31st August 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm using the opportunity to refurb the donor parts as a good cash break from buying stuff!

i,ll second that :D :eek:

andy:)

londonsean69
1st September 2009, 12:12 PM
I don't actually have a donor, and buy the bits as and when they come up at the right price. To this end I have refurbed a load of parts, and like the idea that when the chassis is finished I can just start bolting bits on.

Sean

It also gives you something to do when it is too damn hot in the garage to weld anything