PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox storage/standing

Beardy_John
1st September 2009, 08:55 AM
This may sound like a noobish question, but is it ok to stand a Type 9 gearbox on its end on the bellhousing? Want to store it somewhere so it takes up least space.

Bonzo
1st September 2009, 09:09 AM
I can see no reason as to why not

On some gearboxes the input shaft is slightly proud of the bell housing face, it may pay to stand the gearbox on a couple of thin pieces of wood ;)

This is the way that I have always stored gearboxes :)

Edit

If the gearbox is going to be stored for any amount of time, put some grease on the input splines & spigot bearing surface.
This will help to protect from rust ;)

flyerncle
2nd September 2009, 09:16 PM
I seem to remember a small vent hole in a round raised part of the lid,the oil may run out of it when inverted,or I could be completely wrong and thinking of something else Ford.

HandyAndy
2nd September 2009, 09:25 PM
I seem to remember a small vent hole in a round raised part of the lid,the oil may run out of it when inverted,or I could be completely wrong and thinking of something else Ford.

nope , you,re not wrong ;)

i found out the hard way:eek: :D

andy

Bonzo
3rd September 2009, 08:57 AM
That'll be why I store gearboxes dry :D :D

Besides, I like to drain the oil at an early stage. If it comes out like Hammerite or has lumps of metal :eek:
It's not worth the storage space ;)

Beardy_John
3rd September 2009, 12:26 PM
I think most of mine came out of the drive shaft end when I tipped it to get it out of the donor, so its probably dry now anyway! Anyone know where this hole is?

flyerncle
3rd September 2009, 05:58 PM
The hole in question is located in the top case of the box,the metal plate that is bolted down.
This should have a raised dome on it and the breather hole is drilled in it and probaly covered by crud,oil will leak from it bet your life on it.
There are no drains on the type 9 as they were filled for life and only have a level plug,it may be a good idea to cover the tailshaft with tape to stop moisture inside the box.
Hope this makes some sense !