PDA

View Full Version : why dont people change engine oil

semtexsteve
1st September 2009, 06:36 PM
i have just removed the cvh out of my donor after hearing it run and test driving it and it sounding and running sweet only to remove the rocker cover to find everthing in side coverd in 1 - 2 mm of what can only be likend to thick tar so i am looking at a very big cleaning job oh the joys of car building oh well wors things happen at see look at titanic . anyone ever had the samething and have they got any words of wisdom and help ???????

drury318
1st September 2009, 07:54 PM
Clean it by all means but be careful because if you don`t have the sump off then all that crap will go into the sump & block your pick up pipe up, Dennis

semtexsteve
1st September 2009, 08:43 PM
thanks mate i am going to strip and clean the whole thing from oil filler cap to sump plug i think that it is the only way to get all the crap out

ACE HIGH
1st September 2009, 09:12 PM
The oil companies used to make an engine flushing oil,it works well,see if it is still made.Also there are many oil additives etc/engine cleaning etc on the market try these also.I have had a policy for over 30 years of changing the oil every 3000km,it works,I have not had an engine problem ever.When you think the engine is clean change the oil every 1000 km once or twice,with a bit of luck all will be well.I was told long ago(dont know if its true!)that oil cannot be broken down,only contaminated.When I took the rocker cover of a Holden Gemini,(my daughter totalled)150000km the insides were a golden colour as new.David:)

flyerncle
2nd September 2009, 09:09 PM
In the days of the CVH oil was one grade, 20w/50 usually and the carbon would collect every where as the detergent in the oil was not too good and did not break it up.
I have seen engines with a sump full of black tar,one a Mondeo and the other an American motor home and you would think someone had filled it with tar as there was a tiny amount of oil still around the pick up.
Be carefull with modern flushing agents as they can sometimes do more harm than good in older engines.

alga
2nd September 2009, 09:33 PM
This text might be useful: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html It has some explanation of the sludge you found under the rocker cover.

semtexsteve
3rd September 2009, 07:11 PM
thanks alga helpfull web site