PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel support frame

squbti
3rd September 2009, 06:52 PM
hi all, i´m putting together the steering wheel support frame but not realy sure of the dimensios, on page 46 the measurements are not the same as in the drawings on page 172, they are longer in the drawings also the angels in the drawings dont make 71degr as on page 46. & how about CP15 how should they be placed?
Thanks
Samy

deezee
3rd September 2009, 08:26 PM
I'm looking at the book now and it all seems to make sense. Obviously some dims on page 170 are the longest length from point to point, where as on page 46 its measuring a different edge of the tube. I built mine as per the book, all clamped together to ensure the angles and sizes, before I tacked it.

If your still having problems, I can take some measurements off the CAD drawing, or off my build, if it would help you. Bear in mind, that it will only show how I did it, and maybe not the perfect way :D

les g
3rd September 2009, 11:09 PM
i think dogwood posted a really good picture of how it goes
do a search on here
also if you intend to use Fabby,s sidepanels you need to shorten the top piece by 25mm
cheers les g

squbti
4th September 2009, 12:26 PM
hmmmm, let me see :rolleyes: so SW1 is cut to 40 & 23degr ok , how does that make the frame lean 71degr .i dont get it but i do see how the length is different when something is at an angle .... but the book shows the length & not the hight of the frame on page 46 but i get that so thats fine however im still not sure about the angels.
Cheers
Samy

HandyAndy
4th September 2009, 12:58 PM
hmmmm, let me see :rolleyes: so SW1 is cut to 40 & 23degr ok , how does that make the frame lean 71degr .i dont get it but i do see how the length is different when something is at an angle .... but the book shows the length & not the hight of the frame on page 46 but i get that so thats fine however im still not sure about the angels.
Cheers
Samy

Samy,

have a look at Ash G,s thread titled "Build photo,s" as there are some good photos from lots of angles & maybe you can see how the support frame sits,
tho depending on your preference you might want to have the outside support on the nearside of the side rail for fitting side panel/scuttle placement.

hope that help.

andy:)

squbti
4th September 2009, 05:04 PM
hi andy , thanks for the help. ash has got some really good photos it a great help , however the thing i´m still confused about is how cutting a pipe at 23degr makes the remaining angle 71:confused: . i know how & where the frame is going to sitt but i just dong get the math here(was never my strong side):D
cheers

AshG
4th September 2009, 06:41 PM
to be honest its not that critical as long as the steering colum ends up centeral to the drivers seat and the frame is roughly where the book tells you to put it. the scuttle goes over the top of it so once the car is finished you will never see it.

when i did mine i found that the angle on the right hand leg (sitting in the drivers seat) of the frame was wrong. to cure it i placed the left side on the transmission tunnel where it was meant to go and let it natrually pick its spot on the right side. i then just filled the small gap where the angle was out on the drivers side with weld.

squbti
4th September 2009, 07:29 PM
so i guis i´m just going to tack it in place & see how it looks & stop thinking too much or else i´ll get nothing done:D
thanks for the help
Samy

squbti
7th September 2009, 07:18 PM
hi all, just tacked the steering wheel frame in place but not so sure if it´s in the right place , i did sitt in the driver seat & it feels preaty centered.anything i can do to make sure it´s good before i fully weld?
Cheers
Samy

squbti
7th September 2009, 07:30 PM
i dont know who it was that had posted this picture but are these measurements corect? this is what i used for my steering frame.
Cheers

dogwood
7th September 2009, 07:37 PM
Just to confirm what Ash said.
It is not critical as long as it's central to the driving position.
I made the bolt slots longer so I have more up and down adjustment
I also made mine bolt in rather than welding.

HTH David

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/closesteering.jpg

squbti
7th September 2009, 08:57 PM
so if i sitt in the driver seat & the steering wheel feels centered that sould be ok ? if so did you have to modify CP16?
Cheers

dogwood
7th September 2009, 09:07 PM
If you bolt the CP16 plates to the steering shaft you will see if it needs modding.

Use a tape measure to make certain the steering wheel is in the centre.
Then tack CP 16 to the sw bracket and chassis.

You need to have up and down movement from just touching the chassis cross member as seen in my pic to about 40mm up ( This is not critical)
But will depend on what seats you use and how big you are.

squbti
8th September 2009, 07:18 PM
hey dogwood, thanks for the help. everything is in place now & is looking good.
Cheers

dogwood
8th September 2009, 07:47 PM
pas de problème, glad to help..:D

David

james3004
5th February 2010, 06:48 PM
I'm having problems with this aswell, where does the 9 degrees on the drawing in the book go? I'm also trying to adapt it to a mt75 tunnel?

Any ideas or am i just being dumb??:confused:

tkpm
5th February 2010, 07:14 PM
Ash posted the picture and it's what i used for my set up

rhys007
5th February 2010, 08:17 PM
Hi,

Check the sticky on the announcement page- you will need (like me) to follow them & then make adjustments for your MT75.

I think trying to do too much modding elsewhere before making the amendments to the central tunnel, which is a structural assembly, could be quite dangerous.:eek:

I don't have the book to hand, but I know the design was completed by an engineer- you may be an expert in car chassis but I am most definately not!!:D :rolleyes:

james3004
6th February 2010, 03:42 PM
it would be helpful if someoe had the dims for tube sw3 (i think) for the mt75 tunnel?

and does the sw1 25 degree end have a 9 degree compond on it or am i looking at the drawing wrong?

flyerncle
6th February 2010, 04:55 PM
Dogwood,out of interest what is the metal cup around the column bush.

gingea1pom
6th February 2010, 05:52 PM
it would be helpful if someoe had the dims for tube sw3 (i think) for the mt75 tunnel?

and does the sw1 25 degree end have a 9 degree compond on it or am i looking at the drawing wrong?

James,

From looking at the book the 25 degree end does not have a compound on it.

Cheers Ginge

dogwood
6th February 2010, 09:11 PM
Dogwood,out of interest what is the metal cup around the column bush.

It's a metal cup around the colum bush....:p
It was standard fitment to my column.
So nothing special.

As for the whole steering column support.
It seems to me some people are still trying to make it more complicated than it needs to be.
Just tack weld the CP16's into place in the centre .
Then bolt on the stering column.
The other tubes just need to support these, so really don't matter where they go.
Providing the fit under the scuttle.

james3004
7th February 2010, 12:38 PM
gingea1pom - that is what i thought but there is another veiw of it on the drawing that shows the end having a 9 degree cut on it, i think i'm just gonna ignore it! lol

dogwood
7th February 2010, 03:12 PM
My way...
Simple, like me.:D

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/swsupport.jpg

james3004
29th April 2010, 07:54 PM
what height is the scuttle? my support frame sits up roughtly 165mm will it go under?

HandyAndy
29th April 2010, 10:52 PM
what height is the scuttle? my support frame sits up roughtly 165mm will it go under?

you should be ok at that height, there is quite alot of space above the standard support frame to the underside of the scuttle, the scuttle doesn,t sit on top of the support frame.

hope that helps.

cheers
andy

Enoch
30th April 2010, 10:26 AM
Just to add to this in a "don't do what I did" kind of way:
I am building my own scuttle, this presents a couple of problems with the book design - the first is that the steering column comes to close to TR9 to allow the scuttle cross member to fit without cutting it to allow the column to pass through. The second is that the steering column support bracket can not sit on top of the top rail as it would get in the way of the scuttle. It is far better to make the steering support so it welds on to the side of the top rail (like shown in Dogwood's Post) if you are fitting a fabricated scuttle.
I will have to cut mine off and do it again - a complete bitch as the chasis is painted.:mad: Wish I had thought of it earlier.

brainbug007
1st February 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm working on this bit at the moment as well and having a bit of trouble. I tacked sw1-3 together and then tried to fit with the front edge of them 456mm back from tr8 but found that it wouldn't then reach over to the transmission tunnel? I did then notice that the picture in the book looked more like the below picture (I know it's bad...) Can anyone confirm that this is the correct way to assemble the frame? Also should I just leave fitting the cp15 plates until later when I can trial fit the steering column or does anyone have some measurements they can give me for where to position them?

shh120m
1st February 2011, 08:46 PM
To be honest i did all mine by eye, and its turned out good (so far;) ) I got so fed up with trying to make sense of the dimensions in the book, im a bit simple like that.

sometimes its a lot simpler and ends up the same anyway!

alga
2nd February 2011, 09:53 PM
I'm working on this bit at the moment as well and having a bit of trouble. I tacked sw1-3 together and then tried to fit with the front edge of them 456mm back from tr8 but found that it wouldn't then reach over to the transmission tunnel? I did then notice that the picture in the book looked more like the below picture (I know it's bad...) Can anyone confirm that this is the correct way to assemble the frame?

You did it the right way. I think I've seen people cutting a corner and welding the top tube open, but the book design is intended to be closed.

Also should I just leave fitting the cp15 plates until later when I can trial fit the steering column or does anyone have some measurements they can give me for where to position them?

Ash has posted a photo of a ruler against the CP15 plates on his car somewhere on the forum.

fabbyglass
3rd February 2011, 09:58 AM
It doesn't have to be exactly to the book, there are other ways to make it without the compound angles as long as it's up the job...a simple loop in round tube like the rear boot section does the trick....:)

brainbug007
3rd February 2011, 08:50 PM
I ended up tacking sw3 to the tranny tunnel then tack sw2 onto sw3 rather than assemble sw1-3 flat on the board then try to fit. It worked much better as it let me make sw1 to fit which ended up being about 10mm longer than the book spec and still maintain the 71 degree angle on both sw1 and sw3. Hardly had to file the compound angle on sw1 this way as well :)