PDA

View Full Version : Rear wishbones....HELP

Jeze2903
5th September 2009, 04:43 PM
Hi
Does anyone have a plan view picture of the rear wishbones fitted to the chassis. My car is sitting wrong and after hours of measuring I seem to have one of the rear wishbones back to front.

Bonzo
5th September 2009, 05:17 PM
Perhaps this picture will make the orientation a little clearer :)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj266/Bonzoronnie/hub2.jpg

This is the nearside rear wheel, photograph taken looking at the back of the car .

If memory serves me right, the book states that the single arm of the lower rear wishbone faces the front of the car. ;)

Jeze2903
5th September 2009, 05:47 PM
Hi
Thanks for that, got it all sorted now...What a numpty I am!!!!
Thanks again :)

AshG
6th September 2009, 12:40 AM
sorry to be a stick in the mud ronnie you have that wishbone on backwards. the brace at the hub end should face forward.

drury318
6th September 2009, 08:53 AM
I have my wishbones on the same as Ronnie, I was going by p74, there is a picture showing it that way round, am I wrong?
Dennis

Bonzo
6th September 2009, 08:54 AM
Oh bummer :o

Thats another re-read of the book :(

All seems to line up well. I can't remember if the wishbones are made symetrical or if they are made with an offset.

If they are symetrical I would assume that the placement of the wishbone is stress related. :confused:

On a brighter note, at least they are just test fitted :)

TSM Locost
6th September 2009, 09:43 AM
Unless I am mistaken the picture ( p74 ) is opposite to the text on p73.

EDIT. Check the Drg on page 10, arms are made symetrical if not you would need 2 jigs as upper front needs. Brace should be under compression when acceleration. Pic must be wrong. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOP's

AshG
6th September 2009, 10:52 AM
as tsm says the stress from forward motion should go into the brace at the front down to the rear sus bracket. the design is intended to make the wishbone stronger in forward motion should you hit pot holes curbs etc.

RAYLEE29
6th September 2009, 02:00 PM
my 2p if i read the book amendments correctly bonzo has it correct it says:
"the lower wishbones need to be installed with the cross brace angled from outside rear to inside front"
So are you guys saying this is wrong or am i being thick?:confused:
Ray :)

Hoybi
6th September 2009, 06:31 PM
allow me to give my opinion on the matter.

The amendments state that the text (page 73) should be installed with the cross brace angled from outside rear to inside front. This corresponds with the picture on page 74.
But is contradictory to the drawing of page 10.

Either way, the brace is meant for the triangulation of the lower wishbone and it doesn't really matter how it is orientated.
However, it would look silly if you have the two mounted differently.
From the viewpoint of mechanics it would be logical to have the brace being stressed rather than compressed while taking loads (say driving). Mind you, I wouldn't like to sit in the car when the brace breaks, no matter how it was mounted.

7ishNZ
6th September 2009, 08:49 PM
When the car is under power, the wheel is trying to pull the car forward, the brace would be under compression if it runs from outside rear to inside front. Seems to me that it doesn't really matter which way round it goes??

Bonzo
6th September 2009, 09:25 PM
This issue has confused the heck out of me :confused: :confused:

I may see if I can get the wishbone run through some Ansys software at some point.

Was it not Newton who said " For each action, there is an equal and opposite reaction "

Anyone for a X brace :D :D

RAYLEE29
6th September 2009, 09:35 PM
I would have to say it depends on what creates the biggest force is it braking or acceleration? whichever one it is then that is the one that needs to place the crossbrace in compression.
this is only my opinion and im happy to be proven wrong with a valid explanation,
I still say that bonzo's pic ties up with the writing in the book amendments and is how mine are currently fitted.
Ray:)

HandyAndy
6th September 2009, 09:35 PM
and there,s me thinking i was the only that is confused :eek: :D :D

maybe Chris will be along soon to put us out of our confusion:D

andy

RAYLEE29
6th September 2009, 09:38 PM
yay agreed come on chris tell us pls and tell us why, you know you want to
Ray:)

TSM Locost
6th September 2009, 10:27 PM
Just found som pic's of MNR lower arms, Guess what, They have 2 diagonals that form a X
Maybe an idea ? :rolleyes:

twinturbo
29th June 2010, 02:36 PM
Did thid ever get resolved?

TT